What can we expect and wish from a future Pimax 8K-X HMD?

It’s true, excuse me. I had opened it directly on YT and had missed the timestamp. Thank you!

2 Likes

Please, anyone else here who can help me resolve these questions?

I found this other post where it talks about the performance of the GTX 980/980 Ti but it refers to the 8K/5K+ (2x1440p input signal), but I ask the same question but in relation to a possible 8K-X with several input resolutions (1080p and others) and already with BrainWarp and Foveated Rendering.
I think we could gain much more quality and greatly reduce the CPU and GPU power required, only through good hardware optimization (HMD, AMD/Nvidia …) and software (SteamVR, Pitools, drivers and games).

1080p has 56% of the pixels of 1440p so you would see a good bump in frame rate. The problem is you would also see a drop in image quality most likely by the image becoming blurrier due to upscaling.

3 Likes

But I have understood that the pixels are better scaled to 4K coming 1080p than 1440p by its size in relation to the pixels of the 4K screens.
Exactly 4 pixels 4K fit within 1 pixel of 1080p.

(Source)

It would look a bit blurry, but I think it could be fixed a bit with filters. But would it look better than scaling from 1440p because of the size ratio between these pixels?

And the graphical or CPU power would be lower since the input signal would be lower (1080p vs 1440p), considering that right now it is also scaled but from a higher resolution? I mean that system resources are now being spent on scaling since 1440p.

2 Likes

While failing to answer your question I’d guess that an upgrade to a used 1080ti would be cheaper than what you would spend on an 8K-X instead of a standard 8K.

It’s not clear what kind of other bells and whistles the 8K-X will have but if you want to run it at lower resolution than intended you’re not getting the full benefit of the hmd.

The 4K ran at 1080p orginally btw, I am pretty sure the 8K scaler is no different.

2 Likes

People have claimed that 1080p would work better but right now no one has been able to demonstrate 1080 to 4k hardware scaling so it’s just speculation. And no system resources are used for scaling as it is does by hardware in the headset.

3 Likes

Pimax should wait on the 8K-x until oled full rgb stripe 4K panels without any scaler are available at a reasonable cost, I would imagine that would happen by the end of this year which would mean a 2020 release of such a headset would be possible. This would also give time for GPU’s to advance a bit.

3 Likes

Scaling is a relatively cheap operation unless you add a lot of anti aliasing to it to look good.

Buying an 8K-X now if you don’t want to spend a lot on your system only makes sense if the 8K-X is great and you believe it is future proof. Until you’d spend money on the rest of you components you’d have poor visual output.

It’s a gamble.

2 Likes

OK, if only the HMD would do it then it would be a very large saving of system resources to be used in other things. Hopefully the result of climbing from 1080p to 4K is viable and quality and we can see in this future HMD (or another different). IMO I believe that quality VR (from PC, not mobile devices) would reach more people.

1 Like

No you’re not understanding the 8k using an internal chip to scale 1440p to 4k already no system resources are being used to scale the image.

2 Likes

Consider a 4k TV fed by a 1080p signal generally will not look as good as feeding it a Native 4k image. & the 1080p image might not look as good as a 1080p TV of the same size fed the same signal.

It becomes very subjective by person to what looks good.

2 Likes

If you sit very far away from the screen you’d be happier with 1080p :smile:. With hmds that is not an option.

The P4K did a pretty good job though admittedly, at least with 1440p input.

2 Likes

Lens redesign to match starvr one fov. Ftw!

2 Likes

I support always native solutions. In 1.5 years with eye tracking on Pimax VR, or any other VR hmd, 4k per eye should me the norm.

I just hope Pimax becomes a Vive, or even a Rift, in near future.

I don’t see what people are expecting from up scaling 1080P to 4K in the 8k+X case, in some special context where frame rate it required yes but this will give lesser results than the 5K+ native resolution so what the point? the 8K-X is a deep pocket niche market VR Headset. I see no point engineering it for this product, Pimax could activate the native upscaler of the new Analogix chip if no efforts are required

3 Likes

People keep asking for an upscaler on it because they think th 8KX is the 8K+.

Well, it doesn’t hurt to have several options for all kinds of graphic solutions. As I said, this would contribute to the PC quality VR reaching more people. It would be a very good investment of future useable right now.

1 Like

I just looked for information of the i7 5820K CPU and RTX 2080Ti GPU configuration and it seems that the bottleneck would be minimal (around 8%), although the CPU could OC.

https://www.gpucheck.com/es-eur/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti/intel-core-i7-5820k-3-30ghz/

So I save myself to get new motherboard and Intel i7 or i9 processor, because even the 7th generation are very expensive and the improvement they offer is not so much.

Now the question is what I will acquired before, if the Pimax full pack or the GPU, although I still have to decide which model (5K +, 5K XR, 8K or 8K-X). Everything will depend on whether I find a good offer on a new RTX 2080Ti.
I found it new and discounted on eBay at a price of €840 (Gigabyte Aourus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Waterforce). I hope it will go down again at a similar price in a while.

Edit: the offer was not on eBay but on Amazon Spain

2 Likes

The name by which you want to call it does not matter, but currently it is absurd to manage 2x4K screens natively at an acceptable FPS, even with an RTX 2080 Ti.

1 Like

No its not absurd the entire reason the 8KX is for extreme future proofing. Your right it it requires and insane amount of hardware to run and that was the cited reason for only doing a limited run.

2 Likes