What about the Pimax 5K?

No by chance do you have a link?

Here is the research paper http://research.nvidia.com/publication/cascaded-displays-spatiotemporal-superresolution-using-offset-pixel-layers

Pimax could use this experiment to stack two of the 4k displays for a bump in PPI

@PimaxVR @deletedpimaxrep1

Imagine a cascaded display combined with these optics from this HMD

2 Likes

Forget the Pimax 5K unless one wants the 200 FOV and does not care about visual quality.

That is awesome! Very nice share. Amazing how much the cascaded display comes very close to captured image!

1 Like

Imagine the pixels per inch of two of those 806 ppi 4k panels. :smile: 110 degree FOV would give us monitor level clarity.

4 panels for the 8k X would mean monitor level visuals for the huge 200 degree FOV @deletedpimaxrep1

1 Like

Indeed i’d say near complete to possibly nos sde and an amazingly sharp picture.

stretch goal idea? :wink: @PimaxVR @Heliosurge @deletedpimaxrep1

1 Like

I’m sure something to consider. Now from my understanding though you would need to incresse the backlight to maintain current brightness.

Now what about flipping the physical panel of one side?

As this would if i have the idea change the pixel layout/eye

Panel brightness would need to be higher, but I’ve heard that Pimax’s backlights have got better?

Its really just a good way to get pixels per inch and pixels per degree to go up.

The big ticket would be the Expanse Virtual Cinema optical design. Since the 8k and 5k have two displays, the one drawback of the expanse HMD (the lack of stereoscopic 3D) could be overcome.

Here is another article about the Expanse Virtual Cinema Expanse Viewer Kickstarter Project Promises High-Res VR Home Theater

From what i read it has improved considerably. However with 2 panels stacked i would guess you might need to double the current level to match current setup.

Not necessarily. I think you can constitute 1 4k image out of both 4k panels.

True. The only staple here is with Nvidia copyrighting this. They are unfortunately not known for sharing without asking for licensing fees. Ie G-sync vs freesync displays.

But either way an awesome idea to explore! :sunglasses::+1::tada:

Bloody interesting stuff there

3 Likes

Tentative name for a four screen prototype could be something like: Pimax Quad 4K or Pimax 8K-4X.

Keep design of 2018 Pimax 8K HMD, 200 fov.

Develop an OLED HDR version by Q3, 2020 with 2000 ppi screen with a company wanting to grow in market share.

Run another Kickstarter promotion.

Watch a million dollars or more roll in to cover development costs of cutting edge screen technology, you need to break even. Risky but public will love it.

Jump the competition once again as late 2020, early 2021 GPU tech makes another leap with multi GPU on one card (on-board crossfire), such as AMD ‘infinity fabric’, which could potentially run four 4K screens at 90hz (equivalent of single monitor from an 8K capable GPU), as in 3 years 8K GPU will be on the market. Dell already has an 8K monitor out now.

Repeat process and always stay ahead of competition by allowing enthusiastic ideas on this forum. Ideas get engineers thinking…

2 Likes

It’s “pixels per inch”, the number of panels doesn’t matter.

Hmm, I am REALLY tempted to pledge for the [Early Bird] Pimax 5K Deluxe, as I see there are still plenty of those left.

I am already pledged to the [Early Bird] 8K X - Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The reason for getting the 5K Deluxe:

1. I’m intrigued to see what the 5K is like
  2. After I am done intriguing, I’ll give the headset to my sister and brother inlaw :slight_smile:
  • keep the base station and controllers
  1. I am now looking to get rid of my Vive, so no spare controllers and base station
  • buying the Deluxe version of the 5K Kickstarter pledge then makes sense :slight_smile:

And of course a 5K / 8K vid would be cool :smiley:

• obviously not a 5K vs 8K

This time I won’t go nuts and I will edit it properly, lol

Hmm, 2 separate videos would make more sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

I DID IT!

:smiley:

Moments of insanity - priceless :smiley:

Now I am double excited - 5K + 8K (temporary) + 8K X + Positional Tracking Gear!!!
Hang on, that’s triple, quadruple…

Hell, MEGA EXCITED :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m still not confident the pixels of the 5K model at 200 fov will be same or better than the 4K model at the current fov.

I’m hesitant to pledge because I sure don’t want a less dense pixel experience. (I’m near sighted so I think I see pixels even better than most people)

I just looked into this, and it won’t be the same or better, technically. The PPI is lower, therefore it can’t be.

Physically, the number of pixels across each and every inch of the screen are fewer than on the 4K

4K - total pixels per inch of screen = 806
5K - total pixels per inch of screen = 530

Very, very definitely lower detail can be created

But it is better than HTC Vive, Oculus Rift (CV1), and StarVR

Vive - total pixels per inch of screen = 455
Oculus - total pixels per inch of screen = 455
StarVR - total pixels per inch of screen = 484

The 5K has quite a lot more pixels across each inch than the above HMDs

Screen Door Effect
This is VERY noticeable in the Vive, although only when you are distracted from the game or have to wait for something. It can kill the immersion, although probably just for a short while, until you are thrown back into the VR experience :smiley:

Judging by what I have read and seen on the StarVR, its screen door effect is minimal, and some say non existent.

From that, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we hardly notice the screen door effect on the 5K, if any at all.

Of course, we won’t know for sure until we try it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was just to clarify as the user i responded to thought the 4k had less ppi then the 8k.