VR Movie Player

I have tested auto player (see my thread above) and I honestly don’t like it. I actually like to zoom out to see more at the same time so zoom is important, not only for the “zoom in guys” :slight_smile: Also controls (with wands or knuckles) are messy.
Picture Quality is an disaster compared with other players …
If you want a “less is more” player try simple player vr. Paying for software is legit.
If you’re on the 4k I get that you need to make use of keyboard mouse anyway and software being free. So in this case try a desktop clone (vorpx works best but big screen is free) and mpc hc with madvr (free as well) I guarantee you a much better picture quality with much better keyboard/mouse control. If your GPU can handle it activate chroma doubling and the Pic quality will be even better.

I agree that AutoplayerVR is very bad overall and I can understand why people give it < 50% positive; but it seemed to do most of what I needed that I overlooked its many bad points. I only want a player that plays 180/360 tracking SBS video.

I would like to see better picture or best as my hardware can do 1080Ti, the chroma doubling i have never heard of and it interests me. I am put off by vorpX type software as I’m no longer a guy who can spend time fine tuning, also I’ve never used the piplay video mode as taking the headset on and off all the time and windows monitor switching was a major anger point for me. Im a plug and play guy these days…

initially lets say 2017/18 i tried all the VR players on steam, they all had some thing that didnt work well for what i wanted to do…i will see if the developer has made more features, eg. mouse and keyboard control - most players didnt have this!

BUT… if the image quality in chroma is as good as you claim then it will be willing to give it a crack…

no.1 priority in VR is realism…we want immersion as much as we can …so i will wait till i get an 8K and run my trials of software again

thx

Please find a vr player that does native motion smoothing

1 Like

If you’re OK with keyboard mouse/control then this combination will do the job best in terms of best motion (not free though and needs some initial setup to work best:

1. Desktop clone (NOT virtual desktop, big screen because Hz is locked to your desktop screen that is most likely <90 Hz) I recommend vorpx because it can stream directly to your HMD otherwise you may need to configure your headset as a standalone screen in Windows to support 90Hz)

2. mpc hc, (free) hands down best player on windows and the most plugin friendly one.

3. madvr plugin for mpc (free). Chroma doubling/quadrupling depending on ur GPU power.
    Need to read through the wiki guide though and do some testing can’t configure it out of the box.
    https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR
    It has a smooth motion option as well that works actually nicely BUT if you wanna go further:

4. reclock rounds the fps of your video to a partial of your desired refresh rate maintaining pitch and sync.

5. svp player multiples the rounded fps to desired refresh rate.

I recommend to buy svp as it includes all prog, plugins and pre-configured settings out of the box.
Still need to pimp madvr settings to get most of your GPU. It may take some time until you get the knack of it but it’s not that hard.

If you are not into improving the picture quality and
only into geting an insanely better/smoother motion, SVP (SmoothVideoProject) comes with a stand alone drag and drop player additionaly to the mpc/reclock setup player as well.

https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page

it is worth mentioning that SVP works with Whirligig! which is a nice affordable player with awesome picture quality. It’s a bit heavy to get how whirligig works but after taking a 5 min YouTube course provided by the dev everything should be clear. So if it is more about a fluid picture taking advantage of 90 Hz than about ease of use this is a nice combination as well. It has configurable bindings for Controllers and Keyboard/mouse

3 Likes

I remember having some success with svp but it’s not easy to use for noobs. I don’t remember but did it work with Netflix and YouTube ?

@aesopfabled
it does with YouTube since it has ist own youtubeplayer but not with Netflix.
and yes, it’s not for noobs but honestly:
it is pretty sure that noobs will have issues with the 8k as well because software
issues will definitly need workarounds until everything is sorted out.
I guess that this will take time, just look at the 4k issues.
So it is definitly worth getting into the basics of how video works at least on a superficial Basis
and then it won’t be too hard to grasp how to deal with the solution mentioned above.

Hi the chroma and smooth motion greatly interests me however it already looks very complicated and prone to hrs of work with no guarantee of long term smooth sailing, given the number of tweaks required it doesnt come across as bug free.

if you get this working, can someone post easy user guide in how to do this?

1 Like

It is actually pretty straight forward and beeing on 1080ti? you won’t run into problems due lack of performance. Yes, if you wanna tweak the crap outta Madvr, you can, but even without the difference is huge. Apart of that you can use the SVP player to start with and enjoy 90 fps video right put of the box. So grab the program, think it’s a steal. There are many “how to setup” 5 min. Videos on YouTube. If you have any specific questions don’t hesitate to ask.

I am using this combo for 2 years now on my 75Hz 21:9 desktop screen, 60 Hz TV and 90Hz Vive.
Can’t go back everything looks so much smoother.
This is the only thing that may look complicated:
Since all three screens have different Hz I need to adjust settings for each screen (you can save Presets though) each time.
All I need to do is to find the best partial and “drop down menu enter” it in reclock. Then choose the multiplier in Svp.
Let’s say I play a 24 fps movie which is obviously a shitty partial on any device.
25 (reclock) x 3 (svp) = 75 (for my desktop screen)
30 (reclock) x 2 (svp) = 60 (for my TV)
30 (reclock) x 3 (svp) = 90 (for my vive)

If the movie has 30 fps I’ll need to “down” reclock to 25 for my 75Hz.

NOW the problem is 60 fps footage, because you will loose quite a lot frames in the first place in order to get the smoothest flow.

So on Vive 90 Hz we would need to “down” reclock to 45 x 2
this is also the reason why folks on the forum would like to have the option to run the 8k at 60 Hz like smart phones.

Hope this clears things up, yet again you can also simply use the svp player instead and it will take care of it automatically.

1 Like

kind of clear… but I will work with that as you say the image quality is a significant improvement so to me worth the effort of an attempt. im also very interested in the motion smoothing option.

just need to wait till the 8K is released, will take it from there

thanks