Vorpx creator Ralf new Cyberpunk mod

CAS is an option in the graphics section of Cyberpunk:
“FidelityFX CAS is a dynamic resolution feature that can really help to boost your average frame rate.”
(From rockpapershotgun).
I’m not sure i noticed much difference with it on or off.

1 Like

Whats the difference between CAS and FSR?

Is it the same as the diff between NIS and DSR?

Amd nVidia

FSR = NIS
DSR = CAS ?

Pretty sure CAS is the sharpening shader, and nothing else.

1 Like

yeah it just sharpens the image postprocess,anyway im getting tons of crashes with this mod tough like i cant play more than 20 minutes.

Contrast adaptive sharpening.

1 Like

Didn’t work for me. All I get is the 2D projection and the plugin says headlook not available. No combination of settings puts it into 3D headlook mode.

Ok so I fiddled around with it for the third time (first time on the 8kx, previous attempts we on the Q2)

I have some good results.

Firstly , I have a ryzen 5 5800x and a 2080Ti. Created a CP2077 profile

Small Fov, RQ = 1.0, hz =75, Smart smoothing on

First run jerky heady movement. all settings on low.

Mod resolution set to Great. (G3D)

Then I tried something that was a game changer. I noticed that in the mod settings (Del key) removing the framerate cap allowed my framerate to go to 60 but it was still choppy as hell in the opening Bar you start in.

So I set pitool to 60hz and with the removed cap head turning was butter smooth. Npc animations still seemed jerky but much better than before.

I then fooled around with toggling between G3D and Z-Normal with 3d strength set to 2.21 , zoom about 0.9 and in game Fov was 121(I didnt set this the mod did)

I was surprised that the scene looks 95% the same as G3D and framerate was smooth. G3D is playable indoors with less npc’s but the minor difference isn’t worth the trade off.

I tried jumping to medium and its okay, high is out of the question.

For the record. After playing on the Q2 for 2 days Small is so wide I actually questioned if I was really on small. Because its still like 50% wider than every other headset out there.

For science I then tried potato. Holy cow its still massively larger than quest2. And its totally enjoyable.
Due to the nature of vorpx small and potato are actually better for the in game UI.

This is a bug i noticed in Pitool though @PimaxQuorra .

In potato FOV with smart smoothing enabled the picture jerks constantly for a while until you move a bit and then it sometimes goes away.

This doesnt happen on small & up

Edit: Forgot to mention. DLSS really softens the image too much to look good so I turned it off, but the in vorpx FSR set to medium with sharpness tirned to 1.3 was looking very good.

I might even attempt to turn a few settings to high.

2 Likes

Well done for persevering, sounds like you got some results in the end. That’s 1 good thing about Vorpx, it’s highly configurable so sometimes you can get there or nearly get there. I may have to try again with your settings.

1 Like

Yeah , speaking of Vorpx Paradise Decay just made me buy Terminator:Resistance.

Vorpx is divisive because it’s not perfect out of the box and doesn’t work with all games. And the ones it does work with is very subjective whether its “good enough”

I look at it as a tool that might bring me happiness every now and then.

I fully expect that Luke Ross’ CP mod will work better OOTB than Vorpx. And I think it comes down to how its implemented.

e.g. Lukes GTAV Real Vr mod, worked perfectly day 1 (except on Pimax , until I realized it doesn’t work on normal fov and up). Vorpx GTAV mod I haven’t gotten it to the same level yet

2 Likes

Yes Vorpx does divide opinion, i wonder how many of its detractors are detractors because they can’t get their heads around (or can’t be bothered) configuring it? Ive been using it with Arma 3 the last couple of days, its a 2013 game and i’m getting 40-50fps with Z adaptive/normal 3D, so its not smooth.

Even with 3D turned off in Vorpx, the fps stays 50 max. A 2013 game should be doing better than 40-50fps! (3080ti/i7 7700k/32GB). I get 120fps pancake mode. So its something that i’m doing wrong, it must be

Hello,

Which version are you using?
I may need to request the technician download these games and run some tests with your setup.
This will assist us in recreating and addressing the problem.

Regards.

3 Likes

Ok something is weird. Its been bugging me since christmas release.

So, other than PD getting the “scoop” ( which was the first thing that raised an eyebrow :face_with_monocle:) , nobody (AND THE ROCK MEANS NOOOBODY!) has been talking about the Vorpx standalone CP2077 mod.

I expected christmas week to be flooded with videos from Beardo Benjo, @NextGenVR and the like, who routinely feature Vorpx gameplay.

So I wait over a week and “crickets chirping”

I figured it was just the release on X-Mas that led to reduced coverage(I could also be over estimating Paradise Decays Channel) , but the second news dropped about RE’s VR mod it seemed to draw out the youtubers mid turkey dinner to make videos (GamerTagVR)

So today I see this article from VR Focus (linked below) and at the end they talk about the Luke Ross upcoming Cyberpunk mod completely glossing over the fact that there is a mod out right now.

So what’s the deal? I admit that so far compared to Luke Ross , the standalone mods from Vorpx seems to lack that “Just Works” experience. And I also admit that upon first run the CP mod from Vorpx didnt blow me away, it took me a week of dinking around before I found settings that work perfectly.

I can’t imagine Beardo hasnt tried this yet as he was one of the first guys to fire up CP in vorpx back when it first released.

Is it possible that most youtubers see Vorpx and immediately write it off?

Is it possible that Beardo tried it and was so unimpressed with its difference to regular Vorox that he figured it wasn’t worth covering?

Im genuinely curious . It would seem that Ralf’s plan to gain more Vorpx sales by giving away one of the most sought after VR mods for free has backfired?

Possibly even having the opposite effect?

I myself have gotten it working very smoothly on my 8KX with the following settings but had I judged the mod day one I would have written it off too. ( I will post my settings in a separate post beneath this one)

https://www.vrfocus.com/2022/01/resident-evil-2-3-can-now-be-played-in-vr/

1 Like

Now my Specs and Settings:

• Rtx 2080Ti (stock)
  • Amd Ryzen 5 5800X (stock)
  • 32 GB Ram

Pitool:

RQ 1.0
Hz: 60
PP: On
SS: Off (with this on game judders badly also theres a trick to increase performance if this is off. See headset Sync below)
Fov: Potato
Note: Small works as well but I find the UI works best at .35-40% and remains readable best at potato, I’ve been jumping between Quest and 8KX and I can verify that the 8KX is significantly larger than all other heqdsets even at Potato and the resolution I get is impeccable)

Vorpx settings:
Input Settings → edgpeek Thumbstick off (see trick below for controlling this)
Resolution: Phenomenal
FrameCap: 60 (small delay)
3D: Z-Normal ( I switch to D3D when indoors sometimes but framerate is a bit slower)
Image Settings → Clarity
FSR Low/Medium
Sharpening 1.3 - 2.0
Headset Sync: Custom, Mode Fast, Multi-Threaded On (for Pimax, Ralf sets this to Single Threaded to help account for Judder due to brain warp, but for me BW was juddery anyway so I disable BW and enable MT, huge speedup)

In game settings:

Vsync: 60 fps
All settings low
DLSS: Ultra Performance ( To combat the softness DLSS introduces FSR is used above and it looks good, framerate jumps from low 30-40’s to 45-60 almost solid with DLSS on tested in opening Bar scene and first gun fight )

Another trick I figured out if you play with gamepad is this.

If you have a Playstation 4/5 Controller it makes a much better pc gamepad than the xbox controller with a software called DS4Windows. I have a Dual Sense 5.

I didn’t like the way pushing the view up or down with the stick or mouse makes me feel. :nauseated_face: (This trick also works for RE7 mod)

So in DS4Windows I made a new Profile called Cyberpunk duplicated from the default one. Except I unbind the RY stick Up and Down.

Then under special actions I add a Trigger on L1 to temporarily switch back to default profile when its pressed. This gives me full RY control when I need it. (For ADS, although latest patch you can Head Aim with ADS now)

The DS Touchpad functions like a mouse pad which you can also use to quickly fix the view when the game decides to move your head without permission (rude)

This next tip is a lifesaver.

I replaced the default touchpad bindings from left/right click to
left side click = del key
right side click = middle mouse

This allows easy switching in and out of Vorpx menu and edge-peek.

You can even bind the gyro to act as a mouse for ADS instead of the right stick if you want. (not needed anymore post patch)

@NextGenVR I’m curious for your thoughts on my settings maybe you should do a follow up cyberpunk video since I know you were one of the guys who tried vorpx before. :grinning:

EDIT: I have attached my DS4Windows profiles here

1 Like

Yeh i havent seen much publicity for Ralfs CP mod, in addition to PD i seen Voodoo DE do a vid on it. Surprised beardo benjo never publicized it as he’s done a load of vorpx vids. I did see a Reddit thread about the mod with a fair few replies.

Who knows why it never gained much traction? As u say, it required a bit of fiddling to get right. I don’t know if u tried it on quest 2, i have and the hud is largely out of view so for me it wasn’t really playable.
I’ve tried very similar settings to yours on 8kx and it was much better, but i still had fps too low when in very busy scenes. It might be my cpu (5 yr old i7 7700k).

About the RE mods, they ran great for me out of the box but i’m not really a fan of the RE games and the cutscenes in vr were jarring, could’ve done with edgepeek!

2 Likes

Yeah, without barely any issue the RE Mods run super well max framerate with headroom. Does a 2080Ti count as a beastly GPU nowadays?

I have tried CP on quest. I had the same issue with the Hud being out of view. Whats weird is that on Quest I need to turn the resolution up to Ultra for it to look as good as the Pimax looks on Great.

Something is weird there.

Can’t wait for Luke Ross mod, how much do you want to bet it will be better? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found exactly that too!

I think a 2080ti is still a great gpu. I have a 3080ti oc’d but it wasn’t getting hammered by the CP mod, i asked Ralf about this on his forum.

I am so looking forward to Lukes mod. Going by what he said in the other thread, we shouldn’t need PP. I bet the hud is in view on the quest 2 etc.

Can’t wait, just hope its released this month as many have said.

Yeah exactly, based on his other mods he just seems to have a knack for these things. I think his philosophy is making sure the game is playable from beginning to end. My accuracy in ADS mode is StormTrooper because of the way its done. When you use the super big guns ADS is basically useless as there is no crosshair.

Not requiring PP would help a lot. With Ralf’s I end up using Z-Normal most of the time and it doesn’t even look that different from G3d (which is the first sign that the 3d implementation is “off”)

1 Like

You guys see the new Cyberpunk Teaser for the R.E.A.L mod coming next week?

He claims 80-90 fps with all settings low and no DLSS. running at 2700x2700. On a 3090 and 9900K in Full 3d!

Thats already twice the frames i get from Vorpx’s version. (Although he also said Pimwx will get nowhere near that)

He also says all of the hud icons align and ui is readable.

I look forward to the polish Luke adds to his mods.

Vorpx took ALOT of work to get it running half decently. The addition of motion gestures for aiming down sight was surprisingly awesome and will me missed.

3 Likes

So looking forward to this…
Any idea of a release date? I just hope it reaches enough fps for it to be smooth and playable! So thats as near as possible to 60 fps in my 8kx or 90 in my quest2 or aero.
Edit: “next week”, right ok, excellent.

In his patreon post he said he was getting 60 while recording at 4k. Which is backed up by his preview video.

I’ve analyzed it a few times and the thing that I’m most curious about is how @LukeRoss dealt with the HUD.

The vorpx mod vanilla hud leaves the default Hud widgets slightly out of my view in the corners. I had to install Huditor which lets you rearrange the hud to pull it into the center a bit. The issue there is that it kind of sucks having to pull all of that hud so ckose to your forward view.

I cant really tell from the video but it would be cool if he set the hud up so it kind of allowed you to see all of it by kind of soft locking it to your head.

So say you wanted to see the bottom left corner, you would glance over there and mildly turn your head to left and down (say 5 degrees) and the hud could not quite move at the same speed as your head allowing you to easily view the whole hud.

not sure if that makes sense, but it looked kind he was doing this in his video but it wasn’t clear.