Vive Facial tracker - Pimax Support?

Yeah that sucks…
I distinctively remember @PimaxUSA stating that the TOP USB-C port of the 8KX had to be removed due to a better and bigger USB3 board was used.
We really need to get to the bottom of this USB3 / USB2 what ever it is on the 8KX

4 Likes

Getting there! Hope someone can create a module attachment for the Pimax soon to 3D print

3 Likes

Ok this isn’t really working. The positioning of the facial tracker needs to be rather perfect for it to track. Could get it roughly in place but there was lots of jitter and I only got it to work once or twice.

Really needing a 3D printed adaptor for this but I have no printer myself to start testing things out.

Also tried to use the eye tracker together with this face tracker but it seems to eat my CPU

Lol this is what i feared. Knowing the Pimax usb-c port is not really usb3.

1 Like

try turning the usb cable the other way maybe?

1 Like

How does the Hand Tracker attach to the Pimax?

It is the USB and 2 small screws?

If screws then maybe we can ask @pimax @PimaxUSA to design a 3D print file attached to the Pimax the same way, but then have an attachment like the one in the Quest videos and the file they uploaded
And of course a gap so you can still attached the USB cable into the Pimax

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s as easy as that. Would be great if Pimax would just create some official ones with good screws, like the modular headset it is, so we don’t break anything. (@PimaxUSA ?)

This was my main concern but after playing around with it I noticed the Face camera needs to be relatively low, so it will easily dive below the sideways usb cable to the eye tracker

Actually here’s someone who’s made an adaptor for the Leap Motion controller

Well the other ones for a go pro mount, so it’s just designing a mount and them merging it with this stl

2 Likes

I’m working on a facial tracker mount that is compatible with the hand tracker at the moment, but I’m still working out some issues and testing out optimal placement.

Also going to look into how feasible it’ll be to detach the hinge assembly without unscrewing it to reduce the need to recalibrate while letting you place the headset on a flat surface.

3 Likes

Would be best if we could just hinge it upwards and snap it back in place

Installation

1. Peel back the thick black label covering the top of the hand tracking module to reveal the screws.
  2. Remove all of the screws on top of the hand tracking module.
  3. Remove the top cover of the hand tracking module.
  4. Line up the facial tracker mount holes with the hand tracking module holes and screw into the Pimax headset.
  5. Remove the facial tracker from its original mount by unscrewing the thumbscrew completely, and attach the facial tracker to the new mount using the same thumbscrew.
  6. Adjust the facial tracker by carefully tilting it. It is recommended to pinch the hand tracker and facial tracking mount between your thumb and first finger while adjusting the facial tracker to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on the mount.

Here’s the first working attempt if anyone wants to try it out.

Note that you’ll need to unscrew the top of the hand tracker module to get it to fit as it was too difficult to get a strong and thin enough version of the mount to sandwich between the headset and hand tracker and have the hand tracker connect without issues.

2 Likes

Nice clean work, but does the face tracker occlude the hand tracker when in use?

Does it work successfully?

There is occlusion with the hand tracker at the moment that affects tracking so it’ll need further iteration to improve it. I barely use the hand tracker so I’ve been more focused on getting the facial tracker working optimally first but I’d like to get both working together without issues.

1 Like

First of all: Thank you very much for your efforts and sharing your results with the community. Great progess so far. :slight_smile: :+1:

I was wondering if you could release a 3D printing file for attaching the facial tracker directly to the Pimax HMD? I’'m sure that many Pimax users are using Index Controllers for hand tracking and don’t spend the extra money for the hand tracking module with its currently very limited software support.

1 Like

yes, please share your print files! Thanks!

Any update on this??

If anyone cares:

3 Likes

I do care! Can you share your design please?

Pimax Facial Tracker Bracket by GeekAndProud - Thingiverse

1 Like