Video: 180Hz Pimax 5K Super, does 180fps make any difference?

Hey guys! Been playing around with the 5K Super last days and here are some first impressions and my initial conclusion regarding 180Hz/fps playing a dozen of VR games. Let me know what you think. Any questions will be answered later tonight!

13 Likes

Hey Martin. How did you get Serious Sam 3 BFE to run on the Pimax? I get a can’t load VR device error.

1 Like

Hi Martin! Here’s one big thing I noticed when using higher refresh rates in my Index: The haptic feedback feels “late.” I noticed this going to 120/144 in Beat Saber. There seems to be a slight delay, sometimes throwing me off. Go back to 90 and it’s fine, because the feedback is more in sync with the slower screen. Have you noticed that at all? I think overall the higher refresh rates make me better since things are smoother, but the timing of the feedback can throw me off. Maybe it’s my older PC not keeping up, but I’m worried about how fast haptic feedback updates can keep up with faster screens.

1 Like

No problem with Beat Saber running at 110hz on my 202 5K+. No framelosses tho. Running deadon 110 FPS all the time.

2 Likes

I’m actually about to boot it up myself to try. It’s not a frameloss thing, I think it’s more about the speed of the haptics update.

1 Like

I’ll try 90hz later and see if it feels different.

@SweViver Would be interesting to hear your impressions about running the 5k+ super in 160/180Hz with smart smoothing always on. The game then has to render only half of the selected frames (so 80/90fps) yet it should feel very smooth.

Same for the 8kX: does it make sense to run the 8kX always with smart smoothing on? That way you could increase the ss to have an even better looking picture?

Afaik Pimax smart smoothing does not work as well as Oculus asw or Valves motion smoothing. So i am curious about your findings. Does Pimax even use positional tracking for the artificial frames? Or still rotational tracking only?

I run my index mostly at 144Hz with motion smoothing on and eye-candy/ss higher.
And when using vorpX it really makes a difference to run on high Hz when turning on fluid sync (which is vorpX equivalent to motion smoothing) to enjoy a fluid experience.

So for people using vorpX often (like myself) it could be worth to look into high refresh capable hmds…Even Ralph (programmer of vorpX) did mention that fact in the vorpX-forum when Valve released its 144Hz capable Index hmd.

4 Likes

what are your PC specs

Ralf, creator of vorpX recommend Smart Smoothing to be on (he owns a 5K+):

Brainwarp Settings

• Compatible with parallel projections: has to be ON.
  • Compatible With Vive Only Game: has to be OFF.
  • Turn on smart smoothing: should be ON to avoid judder
  • Refresh Rate: 72Hz: not necessary, but reduces CPU/GPU usage.
  • Field of View: Small: better performance, still provides very decent ~130° horizontal FOV, also helps with games that have a hardcoded FOV limit
1 Like

I was referring to his post where he talks about the benefits of the Index 144Hz:

2 Likes

I tried it and played 70 minutes on 90hz. I felt it is nbot better - I think I hit better at 110 FPS to be honest.
Could be a day to day variation on my side though. Didn’t feel better for 90hz for sure though.

One inaccuracy. Valve was first to introduce 144hz. 120hz was Sony with PSVR. To get consistent 120hz need to hook it to a pc to get full benefit

There was another headset prior to Valve as well with 120hz.

Found it 3glasses Burbur s1 also one of the first to have Display Port

@VR-TECH
i5-4690K @ 4.4Ghz now I believe, 1080Ti, solid DDR3 Ram, forgot the speed but it’s better than average.

Anyway I tried the updated 2026 S/N 5K+ at 110Hz and it feels decent in terms of the haptics, so maybe it’s an Index thing.

I have another thought more related to this topic: Persistence vs Refresh Rate and/or “Pixel Overdrive”

I notice ghosting when moving my head fairly quick in various headsets. I’m not sure if what I’m seeing is blur form response times, or artifacts from “pixel overdrive” as described in this article:

1. I believe I notice the most ghosting on the Quest - but I think that’s black smear due to OLED

2. Next, I see similar ghosting with Pimax 5K+ on 110Hz, less noticeable on 90Hz.

3. The ghosting also occurs on the Index at 120Hz and 144Hz, and is more noticeable on 144Hz. I’d say the ghosting at 144Hz on the Index looks to be similar to the ghosting of the Pimax at 110Hz, and 90Hz on Pimax looks like the ghosting of Index on 120Hz. I’m guessing this is due to “pixel overdrive?”

Does anyone know if persistence can get worse on the same screen when the refresh rate is raised higher? It seems like that’s a contradiction, but is that a compensation that occurs(some blur) to get the refresh rate higher with overclocking(higher refresh rate, but also higher persistence?), or is the blur I see due to the “pixel overdrive” effect? From the article it seems like they could be two different things that look similar.

Trying to learn here… If the refresh rate is higher but I see some ghosting artifacts, is it really worth it? The Index at 120/144Hz does seem smoother, but I think the addition of the artifacts counteracts the smoothness a bit.

3 Likes

GPU wise you are good. if there is an argument is the CPU and even then it should be ok

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.