Version 3 prototype review

@bacon I agree with @jimh54 on this. If you are struggling to hit franerate dual DP would make sense.

All the GPUs relevant to this HMD will have more than 1 displayport connector, so it would save your engineers time.

If you are commited to 75hz/90hz, I suggest adding a 60hz mode so that everyone who gets an HMD will be assured a working baseline.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want to use two of my GPU ports, or have an increase cables or weight of cables to the HMD.

I m for dual DP, it will add the possibility to use the native resolution later.

2 Likes

Can you comment on RGB stripe, please? VRGIMP27 and others have asked that question. It shouldn’t be a secret.

@bacon @Matthew.Xu

Well they finally showed us Pimax 8K Refresh Rate Test 10/30 - YouTube It looks like they’re testing supersampling because that’s almost double the MP of what I would think it should be.

Hi, It’s RGB, not PenTile.

2 Likes

Is it RGBW? It doesnt look like a standard full RGB stripe.

A stable 85Mhz is fine with me, most of us don’t understand that even though oculus rift and the vive say they do 90HZ and they do but it doesn’t happen all the time and that feeling you get when it starts dropping frames is just from that dropped frames which affect their timing not solely just a sub 90Mhz refresh rate.

1 Like

We need ask for the vendor.

My understanding was that RGBW is more dense than Standard RGB why are you comparing it to a pentile?

The white in RGBW is literally just letting the backlight bleed through, so its a brighter image, but about 1/3 less visual information.

RGB stripe would be: RGBRGBRGB

RGBW would be RGB RGB RGB RGB

Which is why it suffers from color loss,Thanks.
Let’s hope pimax uses a standard RGB

1 Like

Color loss might have more to do with not being OLED, but yeah. I’m not 100% sure about whether its RGBW, but something doesn’t seem quite right in VR KOMMANDO’s images.

1 Like

so why Rift and Vive don’t use it, are these guys smarter than John Carmack?

1 Like

Probably because it’s a fairly new type of display created specifically with VR in mind… :+1:

Edit: Oops, you were talking about brain warp. Maybe they just never thought of it and never tried it? Who knows lol.

Super sampling is done on your GPU before it goes through DP. It doesn’t know or care if you’re playing Tetris or the most demanding game on the market. It only knows that it has X number of pixels to refresh Y times per second. Supersampling will have nothing to do with it. On that note, I don’t think we will need super sampling. We are already pushing the very limits of the hardware just to get it to run at it’s 2k X 2 screens resolution.

Unfortunately, we do need supersampling for the reasons I explain here. And it seems that Pimax8K needs much more of it than Oculus or Vive.

Why would it need more SS?

Yes I forgot that SS renders a larger image but then downscales it.

That was exactly the question we asked Pimax in the other thread.