Varjo Event XR-4

Update:

I did re-order and went for the XR-4 with the SteamVR tracking addon.

Technologically, mbucchia showed that the HMD isn’t in fact bandwidth limited but limited by current GPU power, so brute force QuadView works but can also be directly enabled in eg Unreal Engine 5.

And the retailer I bought my VR-3 from threw in a lifetime offline license for the VR-3 with a purchase of the XR-4 which means I can recoup close to the full price of the XR-4 selling a license free VR-3.

The HMD should arrive some time in January, I will share my impressions of a 120x105 HMD with a peak PPD of 50, 4K per eye and local dimming Mini LED panels with you here.

8 Likes

Niiiiice. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I think since Nanite is basically at the core of the engine, performance will in general be superior to UE4 across the board. Its ability to intelligently occlusion cull around complex geometry at different lod settings is a massive step forward over anything in the years past. Then there is their up-scaling TSR tech which is now significantly better looking and more performant than TAAU so across the board it is a more streamlined engine already. I expect fantastic VR performance. Plus Quad Viewport support has been in engine since 4.18

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this headset, especially coming from vr-3.
Do hope you get a good price for your unlocked vr3, I could only manage to fetch £1k for mine in UK. Used proceeds to order Bigscreen beyond, not expecting it to wow but really want to see micro oled.

1 Like

I will share my impressions once I have the HMD in hand.

The deal I got for the VR-3 upgrade is pretty fantastic because it’s a free lifetime offline license.

So I can now sell the VR-3 close to what it would cost any prosumer or business to get this deal which is around €6.000-€7.000.

That way I can fully recoup the cost of the XR-4 and the subscription isn’t a price reducing factor anymore but an actual price increasing factor.

3 Likes

What business is going buy a second hand VR-3 at 6k when they can buy a brand new XR-4 for 4k?

1 Like

Those that want a 70ppd focus area and precise tracking and absolutely no cameras.

I have 4 bids as of right now.

2 Likes

I see one on EBay for $2900.

That’s without the offline license that costs €2.700 before tax.

I’m not selling mine via ebay.

1 Like
2 Likes

Cool to see a review. Too bad though the didnt touch on the optics…

Really looking forward to @twack3r 's review

2 Likes

It‘s shipping beginning of next week so should have it in hands by Wednesday or Thursday.

5 Likes

They really did improve on the optics though, that is the main concensus over on Discord.

The device is currently held back by the software which is unusual for Varjo; I believe they are under extreme pressure from the impending AVP release.

Local dimming as apparently spectacular without any blooming, even in demanding scenarios such as Elite.

Tracking appears to be somewhat disastrous with the current software even though they make great strides with beta releases even over the holidays, glad I opted for the LH addon.

Very surprised to see a review noticing a lack of overlap; that is the part that actually has me ecstatic for the XR-4: using a @risa2000‘s excellent tool, we know the device renders for:

Total FOV:
horizontal: 114.28 deg
vertical: 103.29 deg
diagonal: 126.83 deg
overlap: 90.38 deg

View geometry:
left view rotation: 0.0 deg
right view rotation: 0.0 deg
reported IPD: 69.0 mm

90 degrees overlap is absolutely fantastic so no idea what the reviewer is on about, maybe he has a specific IPD or face shape.

4 Likes

Cool!! As it stands the Varjo might be the winner then among the current high-end devices. Definitely looking forward to your review with great interest. If you’re really happy with it, I’ll probably get one too.

Update:

It was shipped yesterday, should be here by tomorrow.

Hoping to get some time in over the weekend and let you guys know what it’s like.

Update 2: after an insane UPS odyssey I finally received the XR-4 today. Will get some time in tomorrow for sure and share 1st impressions.

10 Likes

Its a shame they couldn’t do a chrome LH front cover like the OG faceplate.

I don’t know, I’m really not a fan of chrome anything and totally not on wearables.

The sintered 3d print look I actually quite like tbh

2 Likes

Yeah looks cool too.

How’s it going with the XR-4?

1 Like

No idea, off to dinner now.

Will have a look tomorrow

3 Likes

So here come my first quick impressions, starting with the negatives:

Build quality: optical track, facial interface, lenses and electronics are on Varjo level, fully beyond reproach. But the shell and strap feel like a big step down from a VR-3 with the latter’s use of fabrics and solidity.

Adjustability: the forehead strap is not on an adjustable pivot anymore but fixed instead. Although the pad itself is hinged, this reduces the range of motion of the entire headstrap assembly and made it harder to dial in a perfect fit for my, admittedly freakishly large, skull.

Sound: the Quest3-like speakers are there and that’s an improvement over the complete lack of audio on Gen3 but they’re not a replacement for a dedicated earbud or over-ear setup.

Weight: aspheric lenses and the myriad of tech compenents inside the XR-4 demand their toll. It’s not unwieldy like a Crystal but I can feel the inertia on quick head movements.

Resolution: weird to have this in the cons, I know, but my 4090 feels like a 1060 again. 5k+ x 5k+ per eye in OpenVR for 35ppd is no slouch and the GPU feels it.

MR: Varjo made it very clear that their software stack is in a beta state but the quality of pass through is worse than with my Pico4 and in an entirely different league than an XR-3. Of course the hardware is capable of a stunning experience but right now, it’s severely held back by software.

IO tracking: only tried it as a quick AB comparison to LH tracking and it was terrible in a dimly lit room.

USB architecture: this is a contributing factor to my bad MR experience: the USB architecture Varjo developed for this is beyond the capacity of my otherwise flawless USB setup of my Z690 Glacial Extreme with a dedicated Startech PCIE USB 3.1 addon card. It does require USB 3.2 Gen2, admittedly, but neither my motherboard’s USB 3.2 Gen2, USB 3.2 Gen2x2 nor my USB4/Thunderbolt port satisfy the required bandwidth and lead to ‘low USB performance’ errors in Varjo Base. This shows as poor ET performance both in DFR as well as in MR mode.

Now to the upsides starting with a foregone conclusion: this is the worthy replacement of my VR-3, will be my daily driver for at least 2-3 years and is the best VR experience I have had to date.

Resolution: in Varjo desktop as well as Varjo experiences and experiences that support OpenXR QuadView for 55ppd support, this is beyond breathtaking. It‘s a 4K experience to my 40 year old eyes and even at 35ppd in OpenVR, we have left the diminishing returns scenario and are on plateau. I have no desire for more resolution whatsoever for what comes next, this was a pinnacle moment for me.

FOV: I loved the VR-3 for its resolution but didn’t like its lack of FOV, particularly hFOV. The XR-4 has Index+ FOV and at closest eye relief (a plus all by itself), the largest FOV I have experienced other than in a 5K|8K Pimax HMD. It’s geometrically stable except for a 2-3 degrees sliver at the very edge and clear across the entire lens. I see no Mura.

Clarity: as a function of the insanely good optical stack and panel quality, this is the new king of clarity. Period.

Back levels/contrast: the local dimming is so good that even in extreme scenarios, I saw no blooming and if I hadn’t known better, would have me convinced these were OLED panels. Black is pitchblack and the 200nit peak brightness makes for an awesome contrast ratio.

Comfort: the facial interface is a new concept: there are now only three points of direct contact between face and HMD, limited to the cranium, the forehead padding and a sliver of padding about an inch wide on top of the eyebrows. That means the cheekbones and nose bear no weight or pressure at all, instead a smooth and thin silicone sleeve blocks any light intrusion. After really dialling in particularly the cranium cradle‘s pivot hinge to my liking, I could wear this for hours with no fatigue or discomfort.

Software: I had no issues at all but this appears largely due to the LH tracking which I purchased at additional cost. It’s a major issue for most XR-4 users so far but luckily appears to be limited to the tracking part. Unlike for others, I had no problems launching all my OpenVR titles and pairing Index controllers was a native experience. Very much like the UI and UX of VB.

CA: I see none but I am also red-green colourblind so take my handicap into consideration.

That’s it for now, let me know what I missed in the comments down below and don’t forget to like an subscribe, it’s what keeps this channel above water. (Sorry, I had to ;))

13 Likes