Valve Index user reviews

:joy: great informative explanation which i enjoyed but maybe overkill lol

1 Like

Ha, love the philosophical debate :). I believe the sweet spot was introduced with stereo audio, by audiophiles who wanted to describe the place, where one has to sit, in order to have the best stereo experience. In short the “sweet spot” was the spot where it was “sweet” to be.

Transposing it into the 3D and the VR in particular, it is a spot where your eye needs to be in order to experience the best 3D experience, which, mostly means two things:

• the smallest distortion
  • the accurate angular verity i.e. having objects at right places (=right angles) around the eye.

Some people however, use the term to describe the area in the scene, which is not distorted. This is most confusing especially in published reviews, when the reviewer confuses the meanings.

For me, saying the headset has a large sweet spot, means that it is forgiving to the eye position, so even with not very precise positioning of my eyes, I can still get enjoyable experience. Pimax headsets are the example of the types which have very narrow sweet spot, sometimes they do not have one at all :slight_smile:.

5 Likes

Guess the Index is officialy not a next gen headset. Was there any doubt?

1 Like

Today i tried a couple off hours more switching between the 5kplus and the valve index…

I must say the fluidness how the games run like contractors on 120hz at very high graphics settings vs the pimax 90hz high settings.Is a real pleasure…

Also the image is realy sharper with more detail and better colors.

You miss the field off fiew but the smoothness ads something special i think…And ofcourse the sound ads something too.

So i will keep them both the index and the pimax for now…

2 Likes

And probably the ease of use softwarewise?

Posted my impressions here for sim racing. The clear winner is the Pimax. The FOV is so small on the Index that it made me sick racing today. I never experience any VR fatigue in the Pimax (ever during massive accidents and racing for hours). The Index also didn’t fit me well as the lenses were digging into my face when set at the closest setting. The clarity on the Index is definitely better, but I’d never trade the FOV for a minor increase in perceived resolution. 120hz wasn’t very noticeable during races and it seems like a stable 90hz with better graphic settings is far more beneficial for sim racing. I don’t know how the Pimax team did it, but they released a headset that is apparently years ahead of everyone else. Well done. I will only be buying headsets that beat the FOV of the Pimax in the small setting going forward. That FOV is essential for a good VR experience and I can’t believe how low the FOV on these new big name headsets are. They are already outdated.

6 Likes

Thats true ,also no need to turn on parallel projection wich some games(they all work) ,just put it on what your pc can handle 90hz or 120 or 144(but this is to much for most games) and your good to go…

Now only we need a valve index with the normal field off view of the pimax and a rgb oled would be mind blowing!

1 Like

I had this problem at first, Try and push the HMD in towards your brow and lift it away from you cheeks.

1 Like

Index has a pp setting in vrsettings file. I think its on by default.

There’s a post on reddit about it. But doesn’t help pimax’s as canting is not as much as pimax & smaller FoV equals less impact.

1 Like

It’s not so much about Index being a 1,5 gen headset…it’s more about an empty and not really useful standard made by Nvidia just to try to add luster to their image, suggesting standardizations of things that no one really needs, and that carry no real benefit, especially to the community.

I always thought since it’s announcement, that Virtualink was just an half step toward a better VR connection, since there are much better, reliable and faster connection methods available, with way more bandwidth…

Yet another goof and silly move from Nvidia, after the many ones already done with the community in the last two years, like the “you need an RTX to raytrace in games” , the abandoning of the G-Sync chip because a software solution like Freesync-2 can be equivalent if not better (and cheaper !..), and now the useless Virtualink connection (merely just a USB 3.1 port, with all the reliability and lag problems the USB is known to have with many motherboards and controller chips…)

Puah… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Think Valve has been clear on the motivations of their decision, it’s mainly because of technical reliability of Virtualink with a VR headset.

Still an annoyance to have two cables and an Y junction box. Also Virtual Link was mostly for VR, so VR been not so popular don’t see why portable manufactures equipment would add a not so used port on those always slimmer laptops…

Prepare yourself Lilo and get your Faraday cage, Virtual link will soon really be virtual and used EHF in the V-Band :wink:

On Virtual Link it’s not just Nvidia; even though they were the first to release a card with it. It was a big consortium including Amd, Valve, MS etc… See link.

https://sites.google.com/view/virtuallink-consortium/home

But agreed it was premature in it’s release.

1 Like

Can someone try the climb with the valve index headset because I would like to know wether it renders the resolution propperly or not . With my pimax xr and pi tool version 180 it still sucks . Its playable but the resolution is like 1080x1200 per eye instell of 2560x1440 per eye

Try reducing pitool render to ×0.5. The youtuber in Defector thread set it to this & maxed oculus/in game settings. Ethan Carter also looks bad with pitool above ×0.5.

and with 0.5 it looks perfect ? ( in the climb with 180 pi tool )

1 Like

I can’t say with The Climb(don’t have it). But I do know with Ethan Carter if pi Render higher than 0.5 it looks like low graphic resolution.

The Tuber on Defector had used Revive & stated he set pi render to 0.5 & used Oculus/in game settings.

Some games don’t seem to like higher pixel density settings.

So would reccommend giving it a try & see.

Cheers for the advice.
I’ve actually done that on both my hmd’s & am currently using velcro tape to adjust them as best i can to my face, ie… bringing out the bottom part from my cheeks & bringing in the sides a bit.
Also im using better face cushions from other hmd’s.
Ive also been using the das & my psvr strap mod.
I get a good picture in the pimax & its pretty comfortable but when i was doing long elite sessions i found i was still micro adjusting it really often to regain clarity & comfort.
It could have been something to do with the whole near ipd thing meaning the sweetspot is always a compromise & maybe my eyes start to feel that after some time making me re-adjust from eye to eye.

I used to enjoy it for long sessions but i haven’t used it for a while now as the index is my new go to.
I dont plan on getting rid of the pimax & think i will still use it from time to time, maybe only for solo sessions when i have more spare time to tinker.
Maybe sim games (if motion compensation is working properly), when i get my 3dof motion rig.

2 Likes

fake news. nvidia didnt make virtuallink. the whole industry agreed to use it, Nvidia is just the only company that gives a damn about the PC market enough to innovate by including it in their gpus first.

Now if they would only convert 3dVision to 3dVRVision . I mean how hard can it be to add SBS support or VR HMD support to it. Even they must know 3dTv’s are dead.

I mean they still package 3dvision and new profiles every day… so they haven’t abandoned it.

It looks like we may need to wait for Virtual Link v2.

It’s not that Nvidia cares; it’s that they wanted to capitalize on being first. Valve was also on board but it seems issues have been uncovered with the new standard causing valve to cancel it from index implementation.

Further proof Nvidia is nixing from my understanding 3dvision.