Update on the Release of the Crystal and the 12K QLED HMDs?

Given this definition of a release the PS5 hasn’t released yet. Sorry, but some sort of paper launch isn’t uncommen in the whole industry and even more common in this time we are currently living.

You can walk into a shop and buy a PS5 now. I did. You can’t go to any shop and buy a Pimax headset even though Pimax has been selling headsets for over 8 years and as far as I know they ship direct from China.

For me PSVR2 is Sonys first proper stab at VR. All their other incarnations were not full VR systems with dedicated tracking and controllers. I really think PSVR2 will be something special and be the number one VR platform taking the crown from Quest. Hopefully Valve have an App in the works for Steam compatibility. :mask:

1 Like

My hope, regarding the PSVR2, is that any good practices, such as foveated rendering, and other optimisation techniques, which have been slow in acquiring foothold, may finally begin to take off, as they could possibly become mandated under Sony’s directorial voice within their walled garden, necessitating the building of supporting frameworks, toolchains, and standards, which everybody could tap into…

That is my hope as well. And I think it’s very likely to happen. The PSVR2 is going to be reliant upon its eye tracking and foveated rendering to get enough performance, and so I expect it to be nonoptional or effectively nonoptional even if Sony doesn’t explicitly require it.

And that is going to significantly help the 12K which I expect to similarly be reliant upon its eye tracking and foveated rendering. Pimax doesn’t have the clout to get game devs supporting DFR, but Sony does.

The wrinkle, however, is that the 12K is coming out before the PSVR2. And even if that wasn’t so, it’s going to take a while for DFR adoption to spread. So for the early days of the 12K, it’s likely to continue to work the same as it does for the 8KX now. Pimax’s foveated rendering feature works by DLL injection and so doesn’t work in every game.

In games where DFR isn’t working, it will probably be necessary to run much lower than the native resolution of the 12K.

1 Like

Yeah, if you are willing to accept that, Pimax could indeed arbitrarily give us any date for their launch.

Hey, they can claim it launched three years ago, they just didn‘t tell anyone… /s

So no, this doesn‘t cut it for me, and the comparison to the PS5 seems to forget that there are a fair number of PS5‘s out there. The demand is much bigger, but you could and can get a PS5 if you pay the scalpers, just like the 3090 in the last year. Those products have launched. A product said to have launched but not available for weeks or months afterwards, no matter which price tag you are willing to pay, has not launched.

I have a question about the diopter adjustment on the Crystal: will it work for me? My eye prescription is -1.50 sphere left and right eyes. I know the Crystal has “diopter adjustment 0 to 7”, how will this work for me?

i’m thinking it won’t work because the adjustment is a + value whereas my prescription is negative.

Edit: ok, does the Crystal allow users to wear glasses?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.