(unresponsive): Star Trek Bridge Crew

Sorry bad wording:

Found my issue. Apparently the Vive doesn’t like being on the secondary card in a multi-moniter setup.

2 cards not monitors

1 Like

Which headset did you receive?

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies. I Got a 5K plus…

However without the controllers I have really limited set of titles I can play.
I do not use a mutli-monitor setup. I use a 1080ti and it runs my monitor and my HMD.

2 Likes

will the hmd will shown as second monitor in windows ?
Do you tried to “repair” installation through steam?
There are maybe some files in your “User” directory for that game. Maybe delete them. Some games couldn’t manage some propertys changed during the game (change graphics, etc.)
Is Pitool running in Background?

1 Like

Hello again,

I’m not sure where the game saves it’s files. To be honest, I changed the graphics settings when I first played. I enabled bloom and whatever was available really.
I’d like to know where it saves the graphics settings so that I can reset them

Pitool is running in the background and displays the outworldly example space with the jupiter, the sun and the weird moon that you are on. If I enable the leap motion controller I can see my hands just fine. Also SteamVR home works but I can’t do anything there without a vive controller.

Furthermore, I tried Doom VFR. It also works fine but I can’t move or shoot using only a gamepad. Some stuff work there with the gamepad (like the menus) but others don’t (like moving or shooting)

When I say “works fine” I mean technically it works. The image is rendered and I can experience the VR around me.

So As you see most stuff have no issue rendering in my HMD. Only one that doesn’t work is the Star Trek game. It’s frustrating. And the weird thing is that yesterday it worked and I was blown away with how impressive it was… I could just sit there on the intro sequence going around the space stations and spaceships for ever…

Haven’t noticed the headset being dispayed as a second monitor on my graphics config… I’ll check that out when I get home.

2 Likes

i would highly recommend to delete the files the settings saved in. somewhere in …/red-storm-entertainment-nova called graphics.config

maybe search for that file on all drives … look at the destination and when its related to star trek bridge crew than delete it… start the game and it will restore defaults

1. search graphics.config
  2. look if it is related to STBC
  3. delte file
  4. start game
  5. tell me if it works :wink:
1 Like

Hello,

I eventually managed to get it working but It’s worth telling the whole story.
So I saw that the HMD does not appear as a second monitor. However, that doesn’t mean it is not working. It works just fine.
Anyway, I tried reinstalling the Nvidia Drivers and the pitool. No change. I also reinstalled the game. Still no change. I found the file you suggested graphics.config but still made no difference.
However, that poking around for the file led me to find a folder with logs! the… logs folder Which contained a bunch of files with a log of each of my attempts to sign in.
In those files a single error line: D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (0 x 0 fmt 44 aa 2), error 0x80070057
So then I tried to run the game in desktop mode. Still no go!
Ok that really made no sense. That error is a unity error… So I tried to test other games that use unity.
Buzz Aldrin’s Circling pathways to Mars uses unity… It did not work… And that’s not even a game. I’ve seen that too a couple of days ago.
Then I tried to do a room setup from the steam app. That was not working either. It uses unity.
Installed Superhot VR… uses unity - didn’t work. Blank screen in the headset.

Ok here is a pattern. And then I stumbled on that post: <Solved> Unity games won't run on Windows 10 1709 :: Help and Tips

Where evilbro says

I went into Nvidia Control Panel. This is where I changed “Aspect ratio” to “No scaling” on the Adjust desktop size and position page (with “perform scaling on Display”)

The rest he says are specific to the game he was in trouble with but that part was the solution. I looked at my NVidia settings and saw that For me also in Adjust Desktop size I had “aspect ratio”… Changed that to “No Scaling” and …

Everything started working again.
I played STBC! (it was amazing!)
I saw buzz aldrin
And was able to run room setup (although without beacons it was not usefull to me)

Thanks man! I’m so pleased with the selection of VR headset I made :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome can you add that to @Davebobman’s trouble shooting topic or getting started wiki post in 5k 8k directory?

I have added this solution to my wiki as “NVidia Control Panel setting makes Unity apps unresponsive”.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

yeah you mangaged it, its great. If my pimax arrives I also want ot play this game and have your solution in mind now. :partying_face:

Great. Glad this thread is usefull

Just a note though. I never made this setting manually. As part of my troubleshooting I posted earlier was to make an nvidia driver reinstall. I performed a clean install of the nvidia drivers.

It seems that this setting is default. However I still don’t know how all those games worked a couple of days ago. Room setup and STBC was working on Sunday. And then all Unity games just stopped working due to this setting.

Also thanks @Davebobman for adding the solution. cheers.

4 Likes

That setting has made a huge difference for me in Il2 Battle of Stalingrad.

I can’t understand why it was set the way it was by default but turning scaling off has improved image clarity no end. I huge Thank You for that suggestion.

2 Likes

Hmm… Will need to check mine added extra clarity if mine is on to turn off will be like extra ss. Lol

Hello,

for me it makes no sense. In a period that most monitors, even the cheapest ones, include digital display ports, There is no need to have such a setting on by default. It makes no difference for people with digital display ports. I believe that such a scaling is even ignored by the monitor that receives a digital image signal or even worse, the scaling is not even sent to the monitor.

1 Like

You’d be surprised. Windows changed how it manages displays & at times it’s not pretty once you run into a problem.

Actually, imo, the point is that the video driver should IGNORE those sorts of settings for a VR headset. I’d call this a driver bug (not that it helps the situation though).

2 Likes

I’d say Windows on that. If @dogbite had the dame effect on the rift. Then we’d need to confirm this on Amd gpu & if so then W10 is the root of evil. We need :penguin:. :smirk:

I’m not saying it’s a useless setting. It’s just not something to have on by default.

Or … Unity could update it’s engine to not crash with that setting on … Windows is not the culprit here.

Windows is part of the culprit as they changed how windows manages displays & scaling.

I’m sure in future if programs affected by this might be fixed if they have permissions to affect it.