Unboxing of Index Controlers

Ok - in aspiration of getting to play Asgards Wrath (and other RoomScalers) soon (sooner!!!)
I got the Index Controllers ahead of the 3rd Week.

I have not seen (found) an unboxing (here) and since I am waiting for the Basestations to drop - well, here some quick and dirty unboxing pic’s - nothing fancy - but a little teaser to what you get if going for them (via PiMax trade up or own your own) :wink:

7 Likes
  1. do the sticks click in all directions.
  2. if yes in steam vr when clicking through menus do you feel haptic feedback in trigger
3 Likes

I have not coupled them - can I without the base stations?
( I am still desperatly waiting for them from PiMax). I was a WMR VR’ler before and had only the Inside Out Tracking… :frowning:

Edit: The sticks click in no direction at all :face_with_hand_over_mouth: should they ? (ok pressing down clicks, but not left/right or up/down )

3 Likes

He meant pushing forward/backward/left/right and then down. You should feel a click too.
It’s supposed to click when pushing down in all directions. If not i would rma them asap.
There’s a fix for it, but i shouldn’ t repair a new device when it does not wat it is supposed to do.
Good luck!

5 Likes

Thanks, so e.g. Push Up and Press down -> “click”; repeat for each stick and all directions. (They Click :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Yes, indeed. If it clicks, it’s okay :wink:

3 Likes

I didn’t know there was such a problem.
Fortunately, mine also click.
Thanks for the hint.

3 Likes

I guess binding can only happen with basestations? Or can they be found via Bluthtooth?

1 Like

As far as I know you will need A LH even a v1 Vive LH can work. But yes hopefully Pimax’s ship to us soon.

Early Index controllers had a click issue due to short shaft it has been noted later manufactured versions had this fixed & I think added haptics.

See Seb’s index review; he was reccommending RMA over stick click issue.

3 Likes

Thanks for the Info - I did watch into dem shortly but never a full review - didnt think it would matter much - guess that changed :-).
I hope we will know more about the LH2’s and there arrival - cant wait, gifted my Odyseey when the PiMax arrived and have been holding out on the room scale games.
Also the WMR did have issues with that since there is only a “cone” from the HMD out to front that you can use - so this often was bothering when Fetching Arrows or Swords from the back or butting stuff on your belt. Was really jelous for the Viver’s and happy PiMax went the same path.

2 Likes

I tried to pair Knuckles with a computer using Bluetooth, but I failed.
I conclude that you need base stations for pairing.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks - its seems like it neither PiTool nor Steam seem to want them or Windows in general. So I guessed it must be light house dependent (thought maybe the buttons are transmittet via the air - but guess that also only works when the LH Pairing is done and the HMD or PC communicats with the controllers - I remeber reading something that the HMD does that (Connect to them)?

2 Likes

They pair with the headset (and send data via Bluetooth through the headset -> USB) but can’t be tracked without lighthouses.

Trackers/“pucks” can be paired with USB Bluetooth dongles (Steam Controller dongles for example) but I don’t think You can do it with controllers. If You can they still can’t be used without tracking… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks!
I hope PiMax will make Pucks also some where down the roud - that would be awsome if you could get some for a “nicer” price! (and should be rather simple)

2 Likes

Yes. They are ridiculously overpriced… :exploding_head:

2 Likes

There are some open tracking pucks of sorts. RdToVR even had a finger ring? Tracker reviewed of sorts.

2 Likes

It seems the full kits still have faulty controllers. My left controller purchaced 3 weeks ago doesn’t click. People buying the controllers seprate are having more luck

3 Likes

Yeah I was asking because I heard that Valve secretly fixed the issue and added haptic feedback to the trigger in a new revision. Since you just got yours I was hoping that he got the new revision.

3 Likes

I failed to bind my brand new index controllers to the pimax 5k+. Used PiTool beta .180, but it doesn’t work.
I think it must be a problem with the bluetooth of the Headset, cause when I plug them in via USB-cable, they are found in PiTool and SteamVr and the tracking works well.
Tried to find a solution in this forum but did not succeed… :frowning:

I did plug them in to USB straight out of the box - but I dont see them. I guess they will not be found without LightHouses?
Edit:
I started up my PC tonight and just plugged in the PiMax and then…

they paired - isnt that lovley :wink: - no LH needed - they will work like that (ofcourse not being tracked).

Edit: They blink Blue in PITool, I cought the second they went gray in the last screen shot.

1 Like