Unable to get both 2.0 base stations to track together

Hi, sorry for the issues. Will get a technician to assist you as soon as possible, thanks.

1 Like

I am starting to think that one of my base stations is malfunctioning or corrupted as you said. When trying to setup one lighthouse at the time, one is working correctly and the other one (channel 2) does not track anything.

1 Like

Yes, help from a technician would be very much appreciated. I might need guidance on how to reinstall firmware on my lighthouse. Something is definitely wrong with it. Otherwise I might need to return it if nothing fixes the problem.

1 Like

Yes I did room setup multiple times on both. In the SteamVR room setup I could not see the faulty lighthouse on the picture when tracing my play perimeter with a controller.

2 Likes

@TheIronWolf posted before a log file for Lighthouse status on a v1.0. It likely will give diagnostic info for the v2.0

You could try to uninstall and reinstall SteamVR, deleting the install directory in between (normally C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamVR) to wipe the config.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had a similar issue once but I’m not 100% sure what the fix was sadly.

1 Like

Hello Draffeurd,

We had passed over your problem to our technical support. As there are few possible faulty within your problem.

1. Both channel of the base station overlapping can cause one of the base station cannot be track. You have to change the channel of one of the “faulty” base station.

2. There are defect on the base station itself. Please kindly check it’s working fine.

When your problem still remain unsolved, please submit a ticket at Support center. We will assign a technician for you on diagnose the problem, will do remote desktop if needed.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

4 Likes

On a side note, I am hearing some worrying reports that (…unlike V1) SteamTrackingV2 may be rather sensitive to interference from other IR sources, such as LeapMotion, and Kinect devices… Hope that won’t be a problem with our handtracking modules…

1 Like

Maybe you meant this: (V1 Valve lighthouses identification and diagnostic). This however was true for V1, I am not sure, the same reporting works for V2 (I have no V2 at hand to check).

@Draffeurd you might still want to check your lighthouse db file, for anything suspicious.
The other thing you may try is switch both LHs to the different channels (as long as they are different to each other) and check if it helps. They do not need to be “1” and “2” exactly.

1 Like

Did a system report, this might help find anything abnormal
Device 1 - Headset Vive MV HTC 360584701249
Camera Firmware: Version not available.

VSync to Photons: 0.0111112

Display Frequency: 89.9995

User IPD (m): 0.063

Current Universe ID: 30

Previous Universe ID: 30

Device Path: /devices/aapvr/360584701249

Best Alias: /user/head

Device 2 - Base Station Valve SR Valve Corporation LHB-3841980D
Firmware: 2001

Hardware Revision: 0x0900000e

Hardware Id: 0x0900000e

Firmware Version: 2001 / 3008 (Update necessary)

Channel: 1

FOV Left: 75

FOV Right: 75

FOV Top: 55

FOV Bottom: 55

Range Minimum (m): 0.5

Range Maximum (m): 6

Device Path: /devices/

Device 3 - Base Station Valve SR Valve Corporation LHB-862AE832
Firmware: 2001

Hardware Revision: 0x0900000e

Hardware Id: 0x0900000e

Firmware Version: 2001 / 3008 (Update necessary)

Channel: 2

FOV Left: 75

FOV Right: 75

FOV Top: 55

FOV Bottom: 55

Range Minimum (m): 0.5

Range Maximum (m): 6

Device Path: /devices/

The report says my lighthouses need firmware update while SteamVR says they are up to date (In the device update management menu). This is quite weird

Did you connect the Lighthouses to the PC via a USB cable when checking for the update?

2 Likes

I did once with the faulty lighthouse and right clicked on steamvr app -> devices -> check for updates. It said everything was up to date. Is there a different procedure i could use??

I do not know. I would expect that the LH when connected via USB will be detected and also checked for the FW update and it should be reported by SteamVR automatically.

While the detection should work also without the USB connection (which is probably the reason, why your log says that an update is needed), the only way to update the FW OTA is via BT, which does not work with Pimax.

The only other way I could see, is finding someone with Index and check it there. Index should be able to talk to the LHs via BT. There was a way to update the v1 lighthouses manually, but I did not find any reference to v2, nor the firmware files needed for an update. I would suggest contacting Pimax, you did all you could already.

1 Like

Thank you for taking so much time to try and help me. I did send a ticket. Waiting for a reply now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Draffeurd,

Maybe you can share me your ticket number? We will try to ask our technician to take a immediate action on it.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

1 Like

Ticket number is 21973. That is very nice of you, thanks!

1 Like

Hi Draffeurd, I just got the index controllers and lighthouses from Pimax and after reading your post I have exactly the same problem. Can you tell me if they fix your problem and if so can you help me. @PimaxUSA

Thanks

Hey jules, I submitted a ticket to pimax support and had a tech test my base stations through teamviewer. After a couple of hours he could not find a solution, and one of my controllers stopped working in the meantime. He told me to return the lighthouses and controllers and that i would get new ones. My RMA package arrived to pimax on friday and now I am waiting for news from them.

The tech I talked to was named Wythe and he tried a bunch of things to try and find the problem. He seemed very competent. I hope the technical support can help you as good as they helped me

4 Likes

Hopefully you don’t have the exact same problem as @Draffeurd, because an RMA would be disappointing. I just got mine setup and it took a few restarts as well as changing the LH channel before everything finally “just worked”. But up until that it was constantly having one or the other LH blinking in Pitool, or the headset not being tracked, or the controllers being “not detected”.

Hopefully what worked for me will work for you too, but if not then I hope @Asales will get you sorted ASAP. Good luck!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.