Tyriel Wood Quest2 vs Reverb G2 vs Index

link to video

Man I cant wait to see him do an 8kx TTL video. Pimax send this man an 8KX if you care about your product.

The G2 is insane, someone in another channel could understand what was meant by the G2 having increased clarity but its clear that its not just resolution that defines clarity contrast plays a huge part as well as the quality of the lenses.
The G2 contrast looks impressive compared to that oculus filter that they use on their headsets. Even the original rift oled screen almost looked like LCD compared to the OG Vive because of it.

But the Quest 2 is amazing too considering its not running at native 4k yet & its half the $$. I imagine its more comparable to the 8k+. I also think that once they unlock the full 4k streaming to take advantage of that screen Q2 will be even closer to G2.

When Tyriel gets an 8KX we all need to hound him to do a G2 vs Quest2 vs 8KX TTL video

I’d actually be curious for him to do a
Q2 vs G2 vs 8k+ since he has one. but obviously he could care less about the 8k+ since he’s done 1 video on it since getting it and it doesnt even become part of the conversation when he’s discussing 4k panel headsets.

Man pimax needs to fix this reputation of theirs.

Heres hoping the 8KX blows the G2 away and gets alot of G2 owners feeling envious. But I have my doubts.

5 Likes

I’ve been so wowed by my 8KX with the resolution, colors, wide FOV, and no SDE all coming together that I suspect the G2 is just a less expensive version of the 8KX with a smaller FOV. We’ll see though.

6 Likes

He must have an advanced delivery. Latest RdToVR article says G2 delayed til November.

1 Like

No, HP provided him with a demo unit. What he has is not the finished product. We know the final unit will have improved lenses. He might have to re-do all his video compares if and when he receives the final unit.

3 Likes

hopefully when that time comes the heavyweight battle will begin with the 8kX.

Man Pimax has the chance to really be taken seriously there.

Keep in mind the last time Tyriel touched a Pimax headset he never had The Pimax Experience.

(Well he had “the” Pimax Experience)

1 Like

who knows, maybe he makes it so exciting on purpose!? @Tyrielwood

At least his 8k + comparison earlier this year was a good, honest experience.

1 Like

I think you are right.

1 Like

Maybe a little bit more clarity.
It is easier and cheaper without canted displays.

1 Like

yeah but, is it just me or did the 8k+ just drop from the radar after its release. I mean even though he has this headset he has no temptation to even put it into comparison videos.

MRTV as well, since the controversial 8kx pre-production review he seems like he goes out of his way to ignore the headset. I notice that when describing the G2 he says it is the highest resolution “consumer” HMD on the market.

Remember how he used to laugh at toilet roll FOV and now he’s gushing over how great G2 is?

4 Likes

I’m seriously considering ordering the G2. If I order it today I will get it in December. It should not be necessary but I feel like I need to compare it.

Problem is there’s no way I should have this may HMDs I’m not voodooDE. I need to get rid of some.

Anyone want to by a slightly cracked 5K+? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i must say the colors look stunning on the G2

2 Likes

After seen this ttl video, i bought my 8k+

1 Like

As I noted in my first impressions thread, it is possible that the G2 will do to the 8KX what the Index did to the 5K+.

Mainstream users are all going crazy over G2. No one in the comments even mentioning 8KX.

The resolution is 8KX’s biggest wow factor but the G2 will get all the applauds for it. And maybe G2’s lenses and panel will beat 8KX in terms of clarity and mura too.

Partly it is how bad Pimax PR has always been (creating more negative result than positive result really), partly how bad their reputation is, partly how long it has taken them to get 8KX in people’s hands (just like 5K+), and partly it is how much more expensive 8KX is.

Will be interesting to see how the more mainstream VR channels and websites react to 8KX (or if they react to it at all).

My pessimistic prediction was actually too optimistic … just replace Index 2 with Reverb 2
https://community.openmr.ai/t/sweviver-pimax-8k-x-specifications-revealed-everything-you-need-to-know/20193/453?u=glassy99

1 Like

In marketing its all about SPIN. Sure Pimax is more expensive. but look at it this way

With pimax the resolution will be on par with or close to the G2. basically identical within 5%. But Pimax can do 170 FOV which to anyone who is looking to play FS2020 for eg should be irresistible.

Add to that that 8KX is truly next gen by having Dynamic Foveated Rendering being the first Consumer VR headset with eyetracking as an option as well as Quest style Handtracking and its no wonder its more expensive.

@dstar this is for you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

wow… look at those blacks and colors on the G2

3 Likes

just imagine the 8kX

but yeah those black levels , still could be a bit misleading because in the preproduction unit both @mixedrealityTV and tyriel wood has HP told them that the brightness was waaay to high , the final units will have the brightness cut down a bit so you may have less contrast.

He will basically have to redo all of his screens for the final G2.

But i agree god damn the G2 looks good. Its almost comical.

the Quest actually looks great but the contrast is pretty weak. If it weren’t for the contrast it would look almost as good as the G2. Thing is the in those screens i think the quest is not getting an actual 4k signal. its upscaled over a special 90hz build of virtual desktop. So quest 2 can get better.

Im pretty excited for infinite office. Still the 8k+ fares pretty well all things considering.

That’s good to hear, someone who got the 8kX was claiming that the picture quality was similar to the G1. But you are saying you like the 8k+ better so.

to you

G1 < 8k+  < 8kX
2 Likes

had the Reverb G1 also. i like the 8k+ more

5 Likes

I didn’t like the G1 the SDE was way more noticeable than I thought it would or should have been. Sold it after a couple of days.

3 Likes

Very nice the G2 does look insane. MRTV latest G2 Information video. The G2 is getting even better!

1 Like

Likely has lost interest in the 8k+ as nothing new from pimax

As for Seb can understand him not bothering much after all the over reactions. Sure his review seemed biased but what does it really matter?

Now the fact no media seems to be covering pimax with it’s release of ET(probably best) 8kX and HT. It seems all have lost interest in covering pimax as there had been a lot that could be covered (a blessing for pimax on a lot of issues). Pimax needs to start delivering wow instead of raised eyebrows and whats.

4 Likes