Tyriel Wood Quest 2 review & Quest Comparison

on my monitor (macbook pro 2018) & on the LCD TV in fullscreen they look almost identical Q2 just a bit light but they look really dark

I just checked again on my IPAD PRO about 1.5 to 2X darker in recroom. This will be visible in VR … color and contrast seems about on pair on most other image so for the price it’s a good deal. resolution is clearly improved but seems less the G2

yes for only 299 the price is fantastic

ipad pro has not IPS screen afair, let me check there as well as i have 2020 model too

And what other OLED option do we have!? not much

here to illustrate what I see it’s a portion of the recroom capture with color picker radius 60 in Gimp. would not say 10 time better :sunglasses: but there is a difference…
low % values for the Q1 are about 0.1 to 0.3 on all channels.

A B

I got Vive Pro Eye recently, now they’re relatively cheap, not the 1600$ price as it was before for HMD only lol. Apart of ET HMD almost the same as Vive Pro, but cushions on headphones are way better + I got impression despite the SDE is about the same screen looks more consistent & even less mura I guess for business they pickup better screen samples & do more precise QA & calibration. Also 2 really great changes: it doesn’t fog so bad as OG Pro there is ET unit & I guess it helps a lot with it + despite same problem with lenses clarity on sides the godrays diminished I guess again due to ET module & some tweaks.

So 150$ difference is worth to get ET, also it has great simple UI to adjust IPD & vertical HMD position by using ET. And some soft like Neos VR supports it. So it will be my HMD for a while now. Make VR OLED again, lol.

I wonder why he doesn’t compare the Quest 2 to any other devices than Oculus’ own.

Did he sign a gag order to receive the Quest 2 early?

Pff.

Well, apparently, he is about to release a comparison of the Quest II with the Quest and Rift S :+1:

1 Like

You mean this one (I just watched it by coincidence):

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I read somewhere that they’re not even sending the correct Quest 2 resolution to the lenses but are instead are still using the old Quest’s resolution (if that makes sense?). So we’re likely to receive a big jump in resolution once they get their software optimised properly, both the Oculus UI and third party apps. I imagine down the line there are going to be substantial improvements when they work out how to use all of the power and features of the XR2 chip as well.

2 Likes

If you find the link I would be interested, because it would explain, why in the video it felt like there was not much of a difference in the quality of the image, only when zoomed out, the display matrix became more apparent. If the apps were rendered at the same resolution (presumably) the one relevant for Quest 1, the effect would be similar.

Incidentally, if anyone with Quest 2 could run hmdq on it (while having it connected to PC in Link mode), hmdq would report recommended render target res as well as PPD advertised by the headset. And I would be interested in the data :wink:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Oculus Link Upgrades for Quest 2

Though Quest 2 has a lot more power and a higher resolution display than its predecessor, the Oculus Link experience at launch will be little different than what you see on Quest today—it’ll run at 72Hz and at original Quest resolution.

So it’s not even using the full resolution yet in LINK mode and most of the demos Tyriel Wood performed were running over Oculus Link.

2 Likes

That is not what I wrote.

I wrote he, nor anyone else, seems to be comparing the Quest 2 to non-Oculus headsets. For example, to the Reverb G2.

Maybe there is a gag order in place. Then they have become lackeys, in my book.

1 Like

I did not listen to the full video, just skimmed through the comparisons, but if he did use Link, he quite crippled the image simply by using it, because the link image is severely compressed to fit into 150Mbps hardware limit on original Quest decoder (Snapdragon 835).

Just for comparison, passing the video signal uncompressed to feed Quest display (for simplicity assuming plain RGB 8bit display 2880 x 1600), would require (at 72Hz) approximately 8.5 Gbps bandwidth.

1 Like

In the video Tyriel said that Oculus sent him an update to link for Quest2 for the video, but not the full update (like 90Hz, maybe other items).

I’m very curious if oculus will actually make use of the official link this time around. The quest 2 can definitely push the bandwidth of even usb C 3.1 gen 2, let alone a standard USB A 3.0. Hoping they come up with a way to support it all - low encoding resolution and/or refresh rate if your cable isn’t up to snuff, but support for those willing to spend more on a quality usb C to usb C 3.1 cable.

1 Like

my point was that I saw the difference but it was too way black for LCD, on Voodoo de recent Q2 review there is good image that desribes how usually I perceive the “blacks” in LCD, it’s more real looking comparison that on those TW TTLS vids, I don’t think he edits it guess it just camera capture stuff though.

Colours are washed out here, IRL it’s good

1 Like

The difference is greater in his last video RIFT vs QUEST 2 vs QUES 1 at 6:48

it doesn’t look like a poor black but rather like a software upscale & SS algorithm that adds some glow (Q1 resolutions is upscaled to Q2 & they have quite good jagged edges removing pipeline)