Today I learned a hard lesson about the importance of patience [RTX 3090]

On September 24th, the day of the RTX 3090 release, I was frantically trying to buy the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra on Newegg. When that failed, I went to my MemoryExpress store in my small/medium size Canadian city at around 6:30am and waited until the store opened at 10am. There ended up being only 2 other people there. Once store opened, they said they had no cards in stock but that we could backorder them. So one guy backordered an MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio and I went for the FTW3 Ultra card.

After a couple weeks go by, I keep checking for stock online and seeing things sell out immediately. Frustrated, I finally caved and bought a 3090 Gaming X Trio from an eBay scalper for 66% above retail price, not to mention high expedited shipping cost and the import duties from having it sent from U.S. I would have went for an EVGA FTW3 Ultra but there weren’t many eBay listings for that card at the time for a price I was willing to pay.

Anyway, so after getting the card, I ended up cancelling my FTW3 Ultra backorder from MemoryExpress.

Fast forward to today, the guy who backordered the MSI card from M.E told me he received the card today. I’m not too surprised, because MemoryExpress did tell me earlier this month they were expecting a large shipment in late October. I just didn’t believe that any cards would be sent to my somewhat small city. I thought cards would only arrive next year.

Then later today, I got notified of 3090 stock on Newegg Canada, I’m talking MSI, Rog Strix, FTW3 Ultra, the whole bunch.

So basically I way overpaid for a 3090 MSI Gaming X Trio just to get it basically 19 days sooner than that guy did. NOT WORTH IT. And it wasn’t even the card I originally wanted.

To add insult to injury, I go on eBay and I now see 3090 MSI, Rog Strix, and FTW3 Ultra cards selling for like hundreds of dollars cheaper than what I paid.

And I think Moore’s Law is Dead was right about Nvidia’s forced scarcity tactic and then releasing a big chunk of cards at around this time after AMD’s announcement.

Basically no graphics card is worth overpaying for. Patience is always a virtue and I will never buy from a scalper ever again. Oh well, lesson learned.

12 Likes

Hehe in the same boat here, bought from a scalper too and paid way too much just to get it a few days earlier. Makes no sense indeed. But oh well, the things people do when they’re addicted to VR eh :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Which card did you end up getting?

1 Like

My MSI RTX 3090 3x OC, is arriving tomorrow… I’m very exite… make liquid explosions…

Ohh, I managed to buy from Ebuyer in the UK, I was 700 in a queue for a 3080 and then I kept checking different webstores every day, then yesterday, there it was… 12 in stock…

3 Likes

There’s literally a thread on here saying don’t rush out to buy the 3090. Should have listened.

I feel you. I did the same thing for Index Controllers when Valve was not selling them in canada

4 Likes

The thing is, not only are those initial cards hard to get, they are also more likely to have problems. It’s much smarter to buy one after they have been available for a few months. I’m planning to wait for a 20GB 3080. I know it’s been discontinued, but I think that’s only temporary. AMD has a 16GB card, which will in time, force nVidia to add more memory.

My 2080 is (barely) good enough for now, so I’ll wait as long as I can stand it. What I’d really like is a 7nm 3080 Ti with a lower power requirement, but that may never come.

5 Likes

Well to be fair, I bought a Valve Index full kit from an eBay scalper back in August 2019 and it was worth it to me because it was several months until it became widely available. With the 3090 card it was just too short a period of time to have been worth it (19 days). I ended up using the Index for over a year and a half and sold just the headset for above retail price on eBay due to low availability and high demand :smile:

5 Likes

I also bought my 3090 via ebay and paid around €320 more than MSRP but in my case it bought it from a guy who is a contributor to igorslabs and I bought it from him because he got super lucky to find a card with a top tier binning which allows for better OC.
That chip shouldn’t have been on that card to begin with and so I basically paid a premium to have it in hand 1 week after launch as well as the silicon lottery.

3 Likes

Got the Asus TUF gaming 3090

3 Likes

Haha same thing, and also felt it was worth it, since it was very difficult to get one via official channels and I didn’t pay that much more. Actually now I think of it, I think I bought pretty much all my VR-gear on ebay from scalpers haha. I just hate waiting when it comes to VR …

3 Likes

might be sooner than you think.

8 Likes

That’s the one I’m waiting for… :+1::wink:

4 Likes

Damn it Nvidia, just release it allready so I can make a decision to go for the 3080Ti of the 3090 :grin:

4 Likes

… and produce more than a few thousand GPU’s, please… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have zero interest whatsoever in any card even less capable than the RTX 3090.

3 Likes

that whole shortage was a scam. they waited until amd’s announcement and magically stock appeared on shelves.

4 Likes

The whole damb thing is a scam! They want to drain our wallets just so we can tickle our eyeballs with more pixels at higher FPS…we are VR Junkies folks… those strictly flat people don’t know what they are missing yet! Oculus YUK !!! That’s nothing We need wide FOV and frame rates and software that taxes the highest of tech. LOL a hard lesson to learn but give us more and give it to us NOW!

2 Likes

Might be too some extent, but it’s not unusual at launches of tech products is it?

2 Likes

oh no nVidia cancelled 20gb cards.

2 Likes

I am not a junkie. I have wanted VR for a very long time, and always will. What remains in the way is now largely software (particularly multi-GPU) nuisances, not hardware limitations.

1 Like