To any CES attendees checking out the 8K X - could you try games with really fast movement?

If you can try some multiplayer sessions in Eleven: Table Tennis VR, First Person Tennis or other sport-type games I’d appreciate feedback on what you see of the paddle/racket when you or the opponent swings really fast. Also, does the ball motion seem smooth?

4 Likes

On 75 hz fast moving objects like a ball with table tennis,or something else will never look smooth on 75hz.

You can test that if you have a valve index and test a table tennis game and switch between the 80-90-120-144hz options…

Even 80hz is too slow for a fast moving ball in let say a table tennis game.

2 Likes

I usually play beat saber at 200% speed and Racket NX.

I tried 120hz in my 5K+ and then 72hz. And see at first time a lot of difference. Then I turned off smooth movement, and 72hz now run more slowly. I don’t know why. I tried again bs at 200% and racket nx and I can’t barely see difference with 120hz. I have to stare a object and move the head very fast, but I only see that the “duplicate ghost object” are 12 instead of 8.

In a monitor the difference is huge. In VR you need something like motion blur to show the trail of the object. Because if you have something like 1000hz display, your eyes will apply a natural motion blur to the image in our eyes.

I work in movies/video games and we know how it works, and how eyes works with the sensation of movement. With a good real motion blur effect you can simulate the real flow and smooth movement in the real life.

Our eyes can see almost infinite hz, but our brain only can see 60 frames per second. Our eyes share with our brain a motion blur when you move very fast your hand or your head.

TL;DR: Brain can only see 60fps with natural motion blur created with infinite amount of hz in our eyes. If the GPU (like the eyes) can create this motion blur and show it in a 60hz panel, we can see identically than in the real world.

3 Likes

This is nonsense, yes motion blur can hide the effects of a lower hz/fps, but human eyes/brain can totally see the difference between framerates far higher than 60fps, thats just rubbish.

4 Likes

In real life you will see no motion blur,in vr motionblur takes you out of the immersion…
so you will definitly see the shortcomings of 75hz in the pimax 8kx.

I tried almost all vr headsets(and also ordered the 8kx)
But the lower hz is a big downside for fast moving games like table tennis(just look at the ball and you will see it)

1 Like

it’s nice we can do the 90hz upscale mode for tabletennis games etc…

3 Likes

Yes i completely agree, he talked about motion blur in movies and flat screen games and i was just saying, they use motion blur in e.g. movies to hide low refresh rates, but its not a solution for VR

1 Like

Please don’t say it’s rubbish if you don’t have medical knowledge.

You can see the difference because the motion blur that was converted from your eyes to your brain is more accurate.

1 Like

In real life you see motion blur. Because… well, what do you see when you see a fan?

I can show you some medical and scientist test, but please… a fan moving fast in real life is quick to explain.

And you can find information with “retinal persistence”, that is the name of the eye motion blur.

And a Fallout Like video of persistence of vision haha but there are millions of videos an articles about that, because is the base of the human vision.

2 Likes

Some information:

2 Likes

That article says nothing of the sort, the question states 60hz but the answer says the exact opposite, that some people can even see a light bulb operating at 60hz flick on and off.

Yes we percieve items blur if they are moving fast enough, but producing FAKE blur is not immersive, quite the opposite.

2 Likes

I could always tell whether the refresh rate of my crt was at 60hz when I looked at it from the corner of my eye , but I don’t see any flicker at 72hz in the 5k+ , but do find 120hz more comfortable than the 90hz it seems to have better clarity maybe the odd extra visual impression getting through my optic nerve

Could be that looking straight at a tv screen is fine at 60hz but as soon as you move your head about there’s much more going on in the brain and extra hz/frames are useful then

2 Likes

That’s true because “motion blur” isn’t the correct technique.

Motion blur is a fake technique to simulate the trail of persistence of a moving object in our retine.

When you use a camera in low shutter speed you have a near approach of the real brain persistence of vision. And the perfect “eye movement blur” is around 1/180-1/200.

The problem is that gpu motion blur don’t work in the same way, because it’s created in real time. It uses vector of movements. In cinema VFX to create it, for one image, you need to render 10. For instance, for a 24fps film you render 240fps, and then use a persistence filter (like the image the brain receive) to generate the real motion blur or eye motion blur.

But it has a very high cost of render. That’s the reason why we don’t have real smooth movement in VR.

But there is some point in the performance equation where is more factible to calculate a real eye motion blur (simulating a real persistence of vision) with the gpu… that rendering 180fps.

1 Like

TL;DR.
We can use 60hz display is the gpu render 180fps and then apply a persistence of vision simulation filter. But it has no sense if you need to do it and you have a 180hz display, because the nerve will do this job to send 60 signals by second for our brain.

But if we can create a vector filter that don’t need to render 180fps and can “simulate” it in a very highly precise way (with a specific shader or chip like RTx only for it), then you can save the gpu of this problem and you can see 180fps effect in a 8Kx 75hz display.

1 Like

If you want to “see” the difference, I created this comparaison.

For 200fps.

Left:
Vector Motion Blur created based in real time motion blur. As you can see the image is unnatural, and it’s work very bad in VR, because it only “blurs” the image in the direction the pixels move.

Right:
Rendered Motion Blur. It needs that the computer render 4 images or more for a frame. One of this images is the base of the frame, and the others are the “persistence”. Then you can subsample this information to simulate 4x more images and a real trail of movement.

2 Likes

Forgot about this. If at all possible, please have this snellen test available. Would be really cool to get absolute ‘20/20’ metrics on the 8kX.

1 Like

I think paddle/racket is limited also by tracking (unless it is AI opponent) which can be as low as 30Hz (60Hz with single BS). Moving in straight line can be approximated, but complex movements could be problematic. But ball movement should be smoother on high FPS.

I finally found this within Steam (as opposed to logging in to the website) - but how do I use it?

Sorry if I missed it, but I didn’t find any instructions about how to load it from Steam or SteamVR. I would like to test the 5k+

you need to add it to your steam home environments and then select it as steam home environment .

1 Like

OK thanks, having a look. Seems more complicated than anticipated, under SteamVR menu -> Workshop I get the option to either mod a background or an environment. But under the latter, it asks about add-ons and dependencies but only offers the default steamvr_home.

I managed to create a new default? Not sure what I’m doing with this. I’ll keep looking :+1: