The complete guide to adding Vive DAS speakers to the SMAS

So I have ordered this for my 8KX to give it a try.

2 Likes

Will fire up the 3d printer! looks like PETG would be great for this.

1 Like

If possible once received can you please report back the ease of mounting + post make on thingiverse with photos of headphones and ordered spacers, if everything is good I will move the thing from wip to ready

1 Like

AhhhYou have good hands :wink:
—————————————
Check out ‘It’s 8KX!@OpenMR’ event on OpenMR
Here :point_right: https://bit.ly/34tvyqH

Why not make the spacer larger to fill the side gap? I printed them in PETG and will install tomorrow and Will let you know how it went.

2 Likes

because I have no SMAS & did it blindly :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ok so I started from Scratch and am printing one that should fill the gap and allow for proper placement. First print will be done soon and will assemble if it works.

3 Likes

Ok first test came out nicely and I like how it works - made a very small adjustment for the next print and will complete the install.

4 Likes

Ok so I have them where they tighten nicely with no wobble, and they stay where you put them. The sound if much better but I do not like that they don’t make it to the middle of my ear. For fun I have sound some inexpensive ones that would work if I make an adaptor for them but until then, this is much better sound.

1 Like

Mind sharing your 3D printed file so I can get this produced?

1 Like

Just got this uploaded as a remix ! Tested and it works - but I will be building a mod for a different set as the speakers do not fully reach the middle of my ear. But, they still sound much better than the originals.

3 Likes

Here is an update on a bit different speaker setup if you do not own a DAS. This is a less priced way to go and it fits closer to the middle of your ears.

2 Likes

Thanks for the excellent write up. In the end i’ve run a cable from my Hi Fi Amp along with the headset cable extension to properly drive the headphones and am using my HD650s with the EQ I use for everyday stuff on the PC. I toyed with buying the DMAS or KDMAS and I have the Vive DAS but sound quality makes such a difference to the whole experience I thought f*ck it, i’ll remove Pimax out of the equation and use a solution I know guarantees quality and volume.

2 Likes

As only a sim pilot (DCS) and once in awhile Space (ED) I only use the headphones for voice comms; My Bose system drives the outside engine sounds and my vibration inducing Butt Kickers!

2 Likes

Awesome man, I would love to get some Butt Kickers at some point!

1 Like

Hey watch this video.

Notice the connectors on the index headphones.

I wonder if an adapter could be made to connect to Pimax SMAS.

Video’s funny too. Apparently after a year Thrillseekers Index turned into a Pimax

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.