Tested: VR Simulator Cockpit Rig Build

I didn’t bother posting my flight setup but it includes the same table and chair and another end table. Ugly but I’m inside and can’t tell, :grinning:

Hey at least i spent money on the transducers and that i can feel inside.

1 Like

Im loving the center post design I was thinking something similar.

I also have a seat that i was thinking on building a seat box for , smimilar to what you have there.

Only difference is that I want to put something on the side so that I can have the hotas in the right position, but also be able to remove them when not in use.

your idea for the center mouny , makes me think i might be able to fashion 3 of those to slot underneath 1 for each hotas mount

Is that stuff reuseable? does it have any flex? I was thinking of using this dual lock stuff, apparently it locks tight but is easy to rip off, way better than velcro because velcro has a soft lock

how is the strength of the feedback with those style of transducer , I have a buttkicker but i was forced to dream up my own mounting solution since i’m not using an office chair

its a flange and pipe from home depot initially i just screwed it in there but it would wiggle loose with vibration. Then i put some Loctite on the threads and its basically welded secure.

only issue is that vibration doesn’t seem to travel through wood as well as metal.

I 3D printed some ABS brackets and mounted my buttkickers to the IKEA Markus arm wrest mounting point and applied wd40 to reduce squweeky noises at joints which is effective but a chair without any moving parts would be ideal.

Furthermore the plastic absorbs some of the vibration when it flexes but it works to my advantage because even a single bk advance is overkill for a chair and the plastic flexing prevents the chair joints flexing and making noise, the plastic bracket is locked in place with bolts and nuts and blue thread locking glue which can be removed

It is removeable and does not flex when you have enough contact surface area at each corner and the sides.
I remove it regularly because I do not have enough space on my table.
The downside is if left to set long enough it can strip the table.

I am thinking of creating a tray with a gclamp and rubber or tpu to hold the throttle in place and remove it with ease when not needed.
But I would be better off bolting my hotas above the buttkicker with a new mount.

I want to connect my pedals and stick as well somehow to the chair instead of buying more transducers and another amp because that would be a massive pain.

Would be nice to get the stick center mounted and bolted to armwrest mount as well whilst being easy to detach when not needed.

For pedals I can create a simple mount out of plywood and plastic that mount to the hollow cylinder protruding from the bottom of the chair, and line the bottom surface with some cheap rubber.
Not exactly effecient but I gotta make do with simple materials, and not make much noise.

1 Like

Those kickers are nice, i’ve been contemplating getting them because they are more DIY friendly that the gamer2 since its only designed to mount to a pole.

I like your idea of putting on on the left an right. Placing it under a surface on which you can place the hotas is a good idea.

I would place the shifter there when racing so I can feel the gear shifts.

I just got a 3d printer, not sure my FLSUN QQ-S can do ABS. But I admit i never thought of plastic to mount them. I have several hotas’ and I can print different mounting brackets for them

Funny how this thread has turned into a “DIY VR rig” thread :slight_smile: i like it

I am using a kiddie tech maker X, it is a solid printer for the price but the small print area is killing me.

The transducers are overkill but great, I put one on each side to balance it out. Amp is mono unfortunately but I am willing to bet I won’t notice any difference.

Initially I only had 1 bass shaker but opted for a second once since it overheats under load from sustained engine RPM effects 30 minutes in. By having 2 BKs I can lower the gain for the same tactile response due to constructive interference whilst keeping the thermals low enough for the transducer to be passively cooled.

1 Like

They’re 50 watts each and mounted flush to the wood in the chair. I actually chose the chair because of it’s wood structure for the purpose.
Sufficient strength off a 110 watt Sony amp.
My favorite VR demo to newbies often is a cold start of DCS’s Mi8 and not mentioning the chair feature :grinning:. The jerk from that first blade rotation always gets a “holy $#1T”

2 Likes

The BK4-4 transducers in my earlier photo are 400w max rated each :sweat_smile:.

That mount is able to handle it but it gets scary on certain frequencies for a long period of time at 300W and above so some effects have to be toned down in simshaker.

I run them at 200W each since it doesn’t overheat that way for Sims, for music I crank them up to 300. They are decent for music but there are better options for that.

Good thing I didn’t get the LFE :laughing:

1 Like

jesus no wonder.

Truth is i was watching an episode of f-reality a couple of months ago and Zimtok5 was telling tales of exploding pistons on office chairs, and swore never to use his Buttkicker Gamer2 again.

I looked for evidence but coukd not find any tales of chairs exploding peoples arses related to buttkickers

But I havent used mine on an office chair since. Is Zim full of :poop: ? or should it be okay ?

You know it never even occured to me, and I run it compressed all the way down and layed back.

The piston was probably not designed with this use case in mind.
Surely they would have rigorous standards.

Haven’t won any Darwin award yet, but now I am concerned about this. I’ll have to look for an alternative chair.

I don’t think it will explode and puncture the metal base which is quite thick at worst the piston would likely lift the chair without moving the lever, I don’t think the vibration adds a great deal of pressure to the oil/gas in the cylinder when fluctuating up/down.

I’ve been using the chair for a few months like that. I have to do some research on pneumatic cylinders.

1 Like

sorry to panic you …im sure its fine. (probably)

1 Like

My original BK1 would over heat and cut out. It eventually died. These Aural Bs stay cool to the touch all day. I had considered adding 2 more but 2 have been more than enough shake.

If this was a rare occasion when I watched, wasn’t this about him not stopping to think first, and drilling into the cylinder? :7

no, he said he was looking online at some video from China where a person apparently died from a chair piston that exploded. And there are some pictures

Apparently it was just a cheaply made chair (which I can’t believe based on place of manufacture :smirk:)

Zim was just being Zim AFAIK because this incident had nothing to do with buttkicker and more just his general discovery that this could “actually happen” and that vibrating violently the piston shaft “could” cause the same result.

I suppose if you are using a cheaply build swivel chair that coukd happen without a BK attached to it, but I can find no evidence of this happening due to BK’s

I found these from FOXXMOUNT still overpriced but its made in the good ol USA so the shipping wont be so exorbant.

what do you think?

Edit: Oooh this one i might actually try

1 Like

For car racing I still say you’ve got to try 4 buttkickers bolted to a hardwood base approximating placement of your 4 wheels and running in quadraphonic mode. It’s absolutely sensational.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.