Tech Talk #8 : Is VR still growing?

“A total of 620 United States residents took our survey and the results were very interesting. Despite Meta and Mark Zuckerberg’s best efforts, the vast majority of people SlashGear surveyed — a total of 63.06% — did not own a VR headset.”

That’s ~2:1 according to their own statistics. Calling that a “vast majority” is misrepresentation. Presumably they’re doing that so they can have a click bait title for their article. I guess “VR is dead!” headlines are still in vogue for some sites.

That said, I think their survey is probably not large enough to be conclusive, and they don’t mention anything about how the survey was conducted. In particular, I’m suspicious that the percentage of people who own VR headsets is skewed versus the more general population. Their respondents may be the more hardcore of gamers and are more likely than usual to own the latest gear. Which may make the claim of the article title actually true, but it’s not true according to their own data.

Moving on, translating from the article, the breakdown goes like this:

15% Meta Quest 2
7% PlayStation VR
6% Valve Index
6% Vive Pro
2% Vive Cosmos Elite
63% None

People talk about how much more the Quest 2 has sold, but obviously the cheapest VR headset that’s any good is going to sell the most. What I find more interesting is that high end VR headsets like the Valve Index are not nearly as far behind in number of units sold as they should be for being three times the price. The situation looks different when you express it in terms of dollars spent from their sample group for each VR headset (using some back of the envelope math here).

31% Vive Pro
26% Valve Index
19% Meta Quest 2
12% PlayStation VR
11% Vive Cosmos Elite

This sort of comparison is inline with what I’ve seen from other sources as well which generally show that the Index in particular has performed spectacularly against the Quest 2 when you account for the price differences.

I bring this up because it shows a strong trend toward consumers favoring capability over price when it comes to VR gear. Or in other words, there is an unusually strong market for the high end which continues to grow.

I believe that this is why Pimax continues to exist as a company. Pimax couldn’t possibly have competed on price. The fact that Pimax hasn’t gone bankrupt and instead seems to be growing speaks to consumers being hungry for higher end, more capable VR gear than has been on offer from other companies.

Pimax is clearly targeting the high end with its upcoming Reality series. And I think that’s the right choice. I think their intent is to open with maximally capable headsets in that line and then build downward toward cheaper models over time. Keys here are that the 12K and Crystal occupy a space which doesn’t compete with the Quest 2 and Index. The only competition they really have in that space is Varjo, and I think Pimax is well positioned in that showdown.

The Valve Deckard will appear at some point. I suspect Pimax is preparing and waiting to offer their own answer to it around its price point when it finally lands. And that will probably become the bottom end of Pimax’s reality line up.

So to reiterate, I certainly do believe that VR is growing rapidly as an industry. And I also believe that the apparent trajectory that Pimax is going is a good business strategy to harness that growth. There are a lot of external risks and a lot of ways they could bungle it themselves, but if they get it right, Pimax has a real shot at going big.

2 Likes

that might be generally true but for me personally i have learnt over the past nearly a year that these high end products by small companies (pimax, varjo) quite often have quality problems with their products and for the capability increase you get are just not good value. i’ve gone mainstream (meta) “low” end (quest 2) and i’m very happy. fact is the quest 2 is probably produced and sold at a loss so it’s real value is more. its capabilties for the price are unmatched. Edit: well maybe the pico neo 3 is giving it a challenge now which is good to see.

1 Like

Whether or not companies have successfully satisfied consumer demand for high end VR doesn’t change the existence of that demand. It just means that there’s an opportunity for some company to get it right.

The Quest 2 certainly has a high value for the price. If a customer is looking for price performance, then this is a hard choice to beat. But once someone has already gotten into VR and been bitten by the bug, they become a lot more interested in getting the best VR gear they can rather than the highest bang per buck. And I think this is what the various metrics bear out. Of course, that’s not everybody, but it’s a substantial trend.

1 Like

This is undoubtedly true of many here at the high end but your qualifier “all ready gotten into VR” kind of removes us from the growth aspect of VR as we are already infected.
It seems fair to consider that those “looking for price performance” is where the majority of growth will happen.
Inside out tracking isn’t better but it’s cheaper. Lower end games that don’t need a powerful pc attached make it cheaper.
I know a lot of people interested in a Ferrari. They all drive. :smiley:

I take your point, but I think that aspect just causes growth of the high end to lag behind the low end by some degree, not exclude it.

Anecdotally, I’ve seen the effect over and over again among the people I meet on VRChat. More and more of them get started into VR with a Quest 2. But they get exposed to people who have Indexes in VRChat, and they soon want to upgrade. Or they play PvP games like Pavlov and soon realize that they keep getting wasted by Index players who have inherently higher accuracy and lower reaction times because of the VR gear. It’s especially scenarios where Quest 2 owners get exposed to other players who have better gear that makes them want to upgrade. And this doesn’t necessarily take long to happen.

Of course, how soon they can afford to upgrade is another matter. But the desire is there. For many of the people I’ve met, it’s a burning desire.

I don’t follow as i never excluded the high end in my response or it’s grow no matter the speed. I did exclude it’s being a factor when moving from a lower equipment as both groups are already users and not new growth.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.