SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

A 5K+ model could he sold with all the 8KX improvements in design besides the screen, and StarVR style rendering to eliminate distortion could work on wireless easily if the 8KX does not, or an upscaked 8K but from 1080p as it should be.

1 Like

And they will when the time is right.

Already we have much to look forward to. From 2 cables to 1 & from pentile like displays to RGB.

Sometimes we should be applaud what accomplished instead of demanding more.

On the plus I think we might see improved ipd adjustment as per the extreme mod detailed on reddit.

3 Likes

Woah what? I have missed this detail apparently :slight_smile: Is the Reverb cable less than 4 meters? For my small space even 5 meters is too short :confused:
I have no clue about cable lenght on the 8KX but I haven’t heard about any plans for a shorter cable than before.

1 Like

@Sweviver one last thing, will pimax consider implementing a StarVR type blended display rendering profile in brainwarp 2.0 to elimate distortion? if not a plastic aspheric lenses in a 2020 special edition of the 8KX after the 2019 release of the 8KX?

The considerations Eckhardt uses in that chart are completely different and do not scale to the VR industry. Samsung famously spent massively on the Gear lenses and had to build orders of magnitude more than were used.

3 Likes

@Pimaxusa what about this solution to eliminate distortion instead if Pimax decides not to do aspheric lenses? Could it be implemented in brainwarp 2.0? Or would there need to be a cantered lens design to make it work?

I have no idea to be honest. I think eye tracking can do wonders for the distortion correction, once its available. I would guess we will see that earlier than any plastic aspherical lenses…

1 Like

I think that there’s a fair bit of mislabeling out there. People confuse the two.

I agree; it seems like I need to position the headset to within half a mm. When it’s centered properly, the view is amazing, but I have to shift my headset back into place from time to time.

3 Likes

So what will win to market? Hand tracking, wireless and eye tracking or 8kX? haha

I still can’t believe they literally have the hand tracking modules as we tried them at backer meetups a very long time ago and yet they can’t have them produced and sold to us but I don’t want to hijack this thread so I’ll let it go!

2 Likes

There is write up on Reverb cable length limits due to dp 1.3. I’m sure you can extend it but may have mixed results depending on cables.

2 Likes

Those cable length restrictions are nonsense in my 15 years of IT experience! Typically you find a good quality extension cable and you can add a reasonable length to it (probably add 10 meters to it since reverb is short out of the box).

1 Like

A quality extension can help a lot. Sometimes.
But I must say even my 200+ Euro Supra HDMI 2.0 5m cable had issues with extending the original Samsung Odyssey. Then at the same I use a 10 or 15 bucks DisplayPort extension 5 meter cable from Ebay for my Pimax headsets and it just works without any issuea at all since September last year. Its so weird…

For my old Rift extension i had to use a an active HDMI hub + that expensive Supra cable to make it work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sure your right but HP will play it safe on length to avoid customers upset if longer cable doesn’t perform as expected.

1 Like

After reading the last 150 or so posts here, the only thing I learned is that in Quig’s world, someone else (and that is the key!) can start a company delivering us each a full scale holodeck for $99.

I’m not trying to slam you Quig, it just seems like you are asking for things that just are not technically possible yet. Also the price levels that Pimax is trying to hit tend to be a reach for most people. Doubling the price that you are comfortable with is just not the real world in which most of live.

9 Likes

@SweViver
you have understood,
to put new lenses in 2020 as a mod inside Pimax 8K X to make a special edition is a great marketing operation

YOU HAVE A MISSION WITH MR WENG
otherwise you and me (It’s night here) have lose time

Eye tracking , fov rendering etc are other things coming to both (Headsets) when they are ready

Lets stay in 2019 for today and enjoy whats coming! :wink:

Gotta get some sleep. Up in 5 hours again to try help solving tickets hehe… :wink: cheers all!

5 Likes

@Sweviver, Why not look into blending two 5:4 display slices per eye in Pitool to reduce distortion further, instead of stretching 5:4 images into 16:9 display? (Which gives the peripheral distortion effect)

Having brought the Eckhardt link in this discussion just to illustrate that it’s not so easy to develop good optic I found you comment interesting, do you mean that VR optic has special needs that don’t scale well (like high diopter power, magnification of a large spreeded focal plan, higher % usage of the lens surface than conventional camera, rectangular lens) or something else?

Personally I will miss OLED panels more the a new lens set :wink: Maybe in one year this wish will be more affordable and available then an complete overhaul of the lens system

So simple when it’s done, makes me remember of a common marketing problem : a technician repair a board in 500$ consumer product by changing a 1 cents 1K SMD resistor and charge 100$ to the client. Learning this the client is infuriated and tell himself that he will never go to this shop again.

The complete story is that the tech took 2 hours to find this dam faulty part.

1 Like

So you mean angled aspheric lenses or cantered fresnel lenses are required, is that right?

1 Like