SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

Keep in mind that it’s not just the display panels but also the controller bridge and the DP controller + cable connector. I don’t think it’s feasible as a DIY project.

In theory they could supply a whole new ‘core’, so the package with all electronics. But in that case users would still have to open the shell themselves and it’s just so easy to damage all kind of things, get dust on lenses etc, that I’d think it would not be a good idea, Pimax would run into a lot of problems with customers.

Sending the 8k back to pimax would be possible but what would be the manufacturing cost of just the shell + lenses? It might not even be as high as the cost to ship it back to Pimax.

I think if Pimax wants to help current 8k/5k+ users out, they could just give existing users a discount.

12 Likes

Will the panels not work if they are simply replaced?
On the Pimax 4K, the panel was also replaced with an extraneous panel. And she worked. Maybe this is possible, just will not be a native 4K by eye. (which I do not need, in general, it will be enough that it will be a full RGB 4K panel instead of 8K panels).
That is just - replacing panels.

Yes, I hope, Pimax will have at least acceptable options for backers 8K :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well not natively 4k, that’s for sure. If all connectors for the panels would be the same, you could replace them I guess and have 1440p -> 4k upscaled. But I don’t think these connectors are standardized so even that might be difficult.

2 Likes

Just watched sweviver’s youtube announcement and it seems that these are no so far off coming to market , he said he might have a review hmd within months

2 Likes

@PimaxVR should consider this exchange. I support it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes I agree, PPD would be nice to know but PPI can be a good start for quality of viewer, just like panel resolution can be a good start for what the image will look like in a HMD, but have to take in to consideration panel style, panel utilization etc etc. The Reverb spec (2.89in) was posted here SDE and PPI - Pimax vs Valve Index vs Others and on Reddit

2 Likes

Sounds to me like the 8KX is in the (late) prototype phase so I wouldn’t expect many (if any) of Your ideas will make it to the final product unless they can be made as extras/add-ons.

My guess is the 8KX is “just” an improved 8K, but not a complete redesign.

6 Likes

There are numerous improvements but yes this would not be considered a redesign. Iterative mechanical changes and the core electronics and the main panels have considerable upgrades. On the lenses a lot of people don’t know we manufacture our own lenses, for a bit it was actually a production bottleneck.

12 Likes

Any chance that 8K owners to be able to trade up to the 8K X?

6 Likes

Any chance that 8K owners to be able to trade up to the 8K X?

3 Likes

don’t forget that we could get an upgrade like the anti-sde film that samsung used on some of their models.
if you can get enhanced picture on a 5k without requiring costly GPU, this would sell better.
Everybody dreams to drive a Ferrari, but must of us drive a toyota.
So i like Pimax being on the edge with technology, but if it means we will see nothing usable before 2021, then better to go with Vive or Oculus.
As i said, I am very happy with what i get form pimax 5k+ , except i am a bit upset to have spend additional $300 to get trackers and base station from HTC, while i already paid for it in the kickstarter.
But it worth the spending because it rocks. I can imagine all the backers with a helmet and still waiting to use it while they learn that it will obsolete before the end of the year when the 8kx will be released.
my next item on the list is the wireless module , since cable sucks for room experience.
Add to that i am not sure Pimax can afford to become a vaporware company relying on patience of its fans.

We won’t be able to discuss the offering itself until after we get feedback from testers like Sweviver etc. and freeze the bom. I think the feedback will be good as we’ve learned a lot from previous iterations and a lot more interaction with the panel mfg. There’s a good chance it will get frozen just like it is.

7 Likes

post delete , irrelevant

Like sj said, it wouldnt be native but if the panels were the right size with the same conncetor, ditching the (arguably) faux 4k panels might make the current 8k the headset it should have always been.
This could possibly be a realistic option.
I cant see this being offered though as i think pimax would care more about new money coming in from an 8kx instead of dropping the new panels in the current 8k to improve it.

1 Like

By the way, I have another idea :wink:

Perhaps Pimax will update the current 8K with the help of new panels (8K X), and then they will suggest that we make an exchange on some conditions?

That is, the exchange will not be at 8K X, but at 8K (with panels from 8K X). It would be generally wonderful :beers: :sunglasses::+1:

Well here it is already clear that no one really wants to buy the current 8K because of its panels, when there is a similar 5K +, which can even be better for less money.

Therefore, Pimax needs an updated 8K, to justify its cost, otherwise 8K may soon cease to exist due to lack of demand (possibly).

I don’t even remember when 8K was on the shelves in the Pimax store.
And on Amazon it was not presented, unlike 5K + and 5K XR

3 Likes

Sounds great! If the review turns good I will get one to add on to the 5k+

3 Likes

@Century yes i strongly belive that the 8k hmd should be updated with these new panels regardless of what is happening with the 8kx.

2 Likes

By the way, yes :beers: Now I myself come to the conclusion that this is the most realistic option for 8K and its happy journey in this world.

And we do not need to replace 8K by 8K X, we just need an updated 8K with a full 4K RGB pixel range…
And in this case, I do not see big obstacles on the part of the Pimax for a preferential exchange for an updated 8K for all owners, since 8K with old panels will be discontinued.

2 Likes

Referring to:

When X becomes available, we’ll provide more benefits for both the 5K+ and 8K backers.

I wonder that benefits are…? Hopefully a trade in programm…

Since you guys make lenses in house, have the bosses experimented with Aspherical lenses?

2 Likes