SweViver: NOT Working VR games on Pimax 8K and 5K+

@SweViver Have you found any controller problem running Oculus apps from PiTool? Any way to overcome these problems?

@sweviver Thanx for all your testing SwiVever! I have got a question I think you can answer. The 5k+ has more clarity I hear compared to the 8k. Someone who just got the 8K wrote the brightness was too low.

Is clarity the same as brightness? And if not do you see a difference in brightness between the 5k+ and the 8k?

Only in the game “From Other Suns” when running through PiTool. But it works with Revive.

No clarity is more about the sharpness and overall “crispness” of the image, especially in menus, on text and close up parts. Its more a native resolution look and not the upscaled look.

In terms of brightness well it is way lower than Vives, but nothing I would complain about and I definitely dont think its too low. But thats of course a personal opinion which differs for everyone of us :slight_smile:

1 Like

So did anyone try this fix to see if it works or not…? @SweViver @Skyrimer

The only game i have not played to play it on a big fov headset is this game, so really hope this’ll work :confused:

2 Likes

I thought you’re going to tell us if the recent software update are going to make the screen brighter?

I would like to know that too because Ethan Carter is such a great looking game and I hope to replay it on the Pimax with best graphics.

@Heliosurge

You have also tried to get it to work.
Can you give us some hints on what settings or tweaks you used please ?

2 Likes

Ethan carter will work ok.

Pitool x0.5
FoV Small
Parallel Pro on
Hidden Mask On

Steamvr Auto Res Ap 100%

It runs & looks good but some things like in the begining the white text that goes across both screens & dream sequence bubble is not converged right.(double vision)

Game dev will likely need to fix it on his side

3 Likes

Thank you very much.

On the Rift there was also the problem with reading text.
Some texts were only on one eye.

What happens when you set FoV to normal ?
Will it look bad or not run ?

Have you added something in the config files ?

Does The Vanishing of Ethan Carter need Hidden Mask? Did you see any artifact?

Normal works but menu text looks horrible & visual quality looks bad.

Apparently hidden mask is usually on seen by developer side. A dev in my review of headsets explained hidden mask is present in rift & vive but not as an option on the user end. With it on the gpu doesn’t need to push pixels so hard. He said generally the program developer needs to fix on their end. So by default leave it on & if you need to turn if off & contact that dev on the issue.

Didn’t notice any adverse effects.

What I have found is some programs are not friendly with wider FoV. If text looks wonky try a lower fov option.

Ethan Carter for example text are wavy & hard to read & visuals look degraded.

Unreal titles that crash try lower FoV. And they often launch ok.

2 Likes

@SweViver

Do you have a CV1 ?
Have you already tried to mix-up CV1 controllers with pimax HMD ?
That would be a temporary solution for people waiting for pimax/knuckles controllers.

If someone has both a vive and rift he could test that mixing too.

I would expect it all depends on how games could manage to handle having to deal with 2 different software APIs simultaneously, one for HMD and another one for controllers (for example pitool for HMD + oculus for touch).

Of course if it works the drawback will be you’ll have to have both base station(s) and oculus sensors, but I would take that drawback for having a temporary controller solution while waiting for controllers working natively with base stations and pitool (pimax, knuckles).

1 Like

Rift controllers require Camera’s to track. You would have ti disable lighthouse tracking for rift controllers.

No, as I said you would need to have both tracking working simultaneously. BS would still be used for HMD 6DOF tracking and rift sensors (camera) for touch tracking.

Hmmm…

Interesting.

https://amp-reddit-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8f7c0o/oculus_touch_x_vive_trackers_guide/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Foculus%2Fcomments%2F8f7c0o%2Foculus_touch_x_vive_trackers_guide%2F

I’d say in this case it works because we have steamVR handling everything (HMD, base stations, vive trackers, oculus sensors and touch), so at the game side the game code just hook with one API (steamVR) through which it can control those accessories from different brands:

Pimax + touch would be more complicated as steamVR does not handle pimax HMD directly, and pitool cannot handle oculus sensors/touch neither. So pitool is required to handle HDM and oculus software / steamVR to handle oculus sensors and touch.

In this case the game code need to be able to hook with 2 different APIs simultaneously, pitool API and oculus/steamVR API. It “may” work with some games though, depending on how it was coded I would say (how the game code handles hooks with VR APIs. Some games may just pick the 1st API they find, but maybe other games could hook with multiple APIs).

1 Like

That does have to be hard on the cpu though. Lol

Possibly not. AFAIK only rift sensors use some CPU (to analyse the camera images for tracking, and those are lowres so it doesn’t eat that much CPU).

The main problem with mixing HMD from one brand with controllers from other brand (with different tracking technology) is not how harder it would be on the CPU but if the software code (game code for example) has been written with such use case in mind.

Many games for example can mix up devices from different brands, like a racing wheel from brand X with pedals from brand Y, or flightstick X and rudder pedals Y.

Here it is just about mixing up other kind of devices, HMD and controllers. Typical case may be VR games/apps have been coded to hook with 1 single system (oculus or steamVR or pitool) but who knows if some game developpers may have written their code to allow to hook with multiple systems simultaneously ?

Easier way to know is to try with many games and see if it works with some. I’d expect best chance is with oculus games as pitool can run them natively (or idk how).

What happens when you launch oculus games with the pimax and also have oculus software running ?

If it doesn’t crash then check if you can use the touch with the pimax running those oculus games.

1 Like

Thw oculus software us just active to access to thw Oculus runtime as per Revive as well to map calka appropriately as a application layer if I have the proper terminology. The extra cpu though is in the program making sense balancing the info managers like Driver4vr does when using multiple tracking methods.

Thank you @SweViver ! I can run some of the Oculus apps too, but I can’t controll them with my Vive controllers. Apparently Pimax has not done any code to emulate the Oculus touch controllers with Vive controllers, as Revive has done. Any ideas?

1 Like