SUGGESTION for a software based solution of the 5K+ dark pixel pattern issue (please support)

With this thread I want to raise the community’s awareness of this issue and its possible solution.

According to the information and detailed screenshots of the 5K+ LCD panel it appears that the darker pixels (abbreviated with DP in the following) are caused by smaller red (and maybe also blue) subpixels compared to the rest of the pixels. Whether the DP are indeed smaller or partially covered by e.g. conductor paths is not relevant. It also appears that the DP are arranged in a consistent pattern on the panel. The DP appear every 5 pixels in x direction and every 6 pixels in y direction.

Therefore it is possible to normalize the brightness of all pixels by dimming all but the dark subpixels (red and maybe blue). This will of course result in a slightly darker overall picture. The choice between maximal brightness or removed DP may be passed to the HMD user via a simple feature on/off button in PiTool. A slide bar could even enable a gradual trade off between the two cases (by a gradual dimming).

It is possible that there is an offset of the DP pattern among several LCD panels. I.e. the pattern is shifted by a certain amount of pixels in x and y directions. I think that this is unlikely and Pimax can easily check it. But even in case that there is such an offset, this can also be compensated in software by allowing the user to adjust the offset. One would simply need to introduce four variables ranging between 0 to 4 (x offset for left/right panel) and 0 to 5 (y offset for left/right panel) in PiTools. For a cleaner look of PiTool, this variables may only appear when the DP correction is activated. The HMD user would then need to adjust the values according to the individual offsets of his panels.

The solution is in principle possible. The question is whether there will be enough interest from the community to make Pimax spend resources on the solution. What you can do to contribute is:

1. Post your experience and expectations here to keep this thread alive.
  2. Contact Pimax directly if you own a 5K+ and are disappointed because of the dark pixel pattern. Request a solution.
  3. Link this thread in other forums, on reddit …

A screenshot from another thread demonstrating the smaller/darker subpixels (https://community.openmr.ai/t/dots-on-the-5k-screen/8730/44):

4 Likes

This fix has already been suggested (and emulated). But the black dots issue seem to have already been resolved (see black dots thread).

https://community.openmr.ai/t/5k-owners-how-much-do-the-black-dots-bother-you/11792/156?u=neelrocker

https://community.openmr.ai/t/5k-owners-how-much-do-the-black-dots-bother-you/11792/194?u=neelrocker

3 Likes

i think the newer latest pimax5kplus have other lcd screens without the black dots,

so not firmware related i think…

or it just the same panel with that fix in the panel firmware?

1 Like

Can a backer with an older device who has the the black dot issue contact pimax support to do a firmware flash to 183 to see if it eliminates the problem? Doing so would determine whether or not the fix is firmware related or due to a new lcd being used in newer models. @Yen @Yata_PL @Heliosurge @BarShiftGames

1 Like

In the beginning of the manufacturing I think I remember some Pimax employee told that they weren’t happy with the lcd screens… was an excuse for a delay. Was these the blackdot displays? Mem serves, @Heliosurge?

there is a thread requesting pimax to release the 183 firmware. push it.

2 Likes

I won’t be able to test until I get an internet connection setup. I moved recently. But once the 183 firmware is available many can test. One user whom posted a recent topic on potential fix might be what is in the new firmware calibrating the display better.

Or as some theorize might be a different panel. Will need to wait & see. I think @spamenigma & a couple others mightbe able to side by side compares to see if there are visual differences other than just black dot fix.

2 Likes

Not sure as the black dots were reported right after Berlin meet by Sweviver.

Yes, it would be interesting to see how they fixed it. If it is a software fix, the fixed image should be slightly darker I guess. If instead new LCD panels are used, people which already have a 5K+ might be quite upset. A new LCD panel makes a software fix for the older 5K+ also unlikely. We will see …

1 Like

i have a feeling its a different lcd panel…

3 Likes

This is correct. 20 chars.

1 Like

we know now it is NOT the new firmware because I am the only one with 183 firmware and still the other guys with new RMA headsets have no dots on 181 firmware.

its looks like a new display.

7 Likes

Of course it is because of the different panels, I’ll eat my hat if not. How could software change some physical properties of a display panel whether they were just gaps between the pixels or dots regarding the digitizer.
Fixed typo.

2 Likes

That’s absolutely doable, read the first post here. :wink:
If it’s new panels this might lead to hundreds of frustrated 5K+ owners. :confused:

I will confess to you. Didnt read the first post.
Edit. Read it , didn’t understand any of that.

1 Like

I suspect it is a different panel also. I would hope that Pimax would officially comment on this apparent change. Really not fair if they don’t offer an exchange for those who have already received the 5K+ with the dots “defect”. I have noticed the dots occasionally on my 5k+ although they haven’t been a huge deal. My headset has been really good other than that though. I would hate to exchange it and get something with other problems but at the same time I don’t like the thought of knowing the dots would be completely gone if I had a replacement headset

4 Likes

Well maybe ask the Pimax team.
@Sean.Huang @matthew.xu

Whats the deal with the dark spots on 5k+, what are those?
Are those fixed by software or does some units have different LCD err, I mean CLPL display panels? :beers:

2 Likes

To me they look like defective led`s, maybe there chines suppler tried to get rid of some defective panels.

2 Likes

defective in that regular geometric order? no way, for that you has to be more erratic