(Suggestion) DP 2.0 in 2020 on oled models for 120hz 8K and 5K in full fov

I still happen to have a Voodoo 1 card in my treasure chest. It has seen some serious Quaking.

7 Likes

Ahh for me it was my mates Apple IIe and at home Tandy TRS-80 with a…

Tape Drive.

Oh those were the days. Destroyed the TRS-80 keyboard playing Space Invaders LOL

Then migrating to 286 / 386 / 486/ Pentium 90 / 3DFX Voodoo

The joy of playing Tomb Raider in 3D on the Voodoo LOL
Then you had sims well the one that impressed me was Looking Glass Flight Unlimited. Oh and my fav Sci Fi Shooter - System Shock. Original Mech Warrior was great too with 3D acceleration.

Yeah - we are spoiled aren’t we. Back to your phones kids.:grinning:

5 Likes

I have 1 too :smile:
and made myself a 3DFX keychain as well :+1:

5 Likes

Just need to consider atm pimax has 160 + 2° Wide FoV headsets(Verified by Hmdq). DP 2.0 still needs to be adopted by both GPU vendors & Bridge chips.

I am sure Oled RGBs will come but are slow to be made & adopted that most headsets have gone with LCD panels. It will be better once more HDR capable panels are available until RGB Oled panels are available.

The strong pro on Pimax side is you have display panel properties & FoV selectable options.

Curved displays we need to see if Samsung & Oculus has restricted this move with patents. Plus will require unique optics & may cause issues to rendering similar to canted displays.

This is also why Oculus half dome has been shelfed for now.

5 Likes

While mostly satisfied was always annoyed by how much better. Arcade versions of games were better.

3 Likes

If i had only saved all the quarters my mother gave me to blow at the arcade I could probably buy a 8kx. Damb pacman and donkey kong, boy was I excited when dragons lair came out must have spent a fortune beating that seeing those multiple death scenes. Cant imagine what we will have in another decade or so we will laugh at ourselves again.:joystick::tv::rofl:

7 Likes

Hey, don’t be like that. I wasn’t asking for those specs to be implemented now it was an early suggestion made for the future models (in the next year or two)

I did say in my OP that GPUs, oled displays and probably chips to drive those input resolutions from such a cable are not there yet, but that Pimax should take the above into consideration and look into less canting of displays or curved displays when they come in the future.

The hostility and strawmanning of my suggestion and asserting that it was a demand when it was not is really not good for your public perception. I made a suggestion for future models, not asking for anything now as obviously those specs do not exist yet.

5 Likes

I’m just thinking the power to run the 8KX in 120hz. You’d actually probably need to wait 5 years for that.

Pushing a stable 90 is one thing. Pushing a stable 120hz on dual 4K screens is INSANE. That’s just over 1.99 BILLION Pixels per second or 1,990,656,000 the equivalent of 8K gaming at 60FPS.

8 Likes

Exactly @generic, its not going to happen anytime soon natively. With DFR and upscaling - maybe in 1-2 years (if DFR is reliable) which is why i said Pimax should use this time to research less display canting like index, curved displays and new optics in the meantime before we get the tech to drive full fov 4k or 2.5k 120hz oleds

2 Likes

We can play it next year on stadia now that google reached quantum supremacy!:raised_hands:

3 Likes

I don’t have my 3DFX card anymore, but I still have the T-shirt that came with mine. It was a included in a promotion for the Voodoo 2. I still wear it (once every few years) for special occasions.

4 Likes

Exactly this, I think the cloud will revolutionise things. Most people won’t need to run their own hardware in future, we’ll just be able to rent a quad SLI setup if we have enough cash. Your personal spec will be upgraded on a regular basis, and in the long run will be a much cheaper route than constantly replacing all the kit yourself. Oceans of metered CPU and GPU power, like electricity or water utilities.

I would have said a few years ago, “No way, latency issues etc it’s going to be unworkable” - but I realise having seen some details on Shadow (gaming cloud) and now Stadia, that these old issues are rapidly becoming redundant concerns

2 Likes

I see a future where we plug our VR headsets or other peripherals into a cloud-connected hub terminal and that’s it - everything else is piped in.

You’ll still be able to buy your own kit if you want of course, but it won’t be the most cost effective option any more

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying Octo, and it probably IS the future. But I don’t like the way everything is going to subscription/monthly payments. That is exactly what every single corporation in the world wants, because the instant they can make that move, they have you over a barrel. I can guarantee that the yearly subscription increases will be be far more than the rate of inflation forever and ever.

4 Likes

Keep in mind Index can do considerably less canting due the small displays used for small FoV. :beers::sunglasses::vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Indeed. Sony to that end bought quite sometime ago a mega game streaming site. Since then though imho expensive has released Playststion Now? Where you can play Playstation games on PC through streaming.

Nvidia has a similar deal with a gpu farm Ncidia Go?

1 Like

Yeah sure, just comparing to the current commercial uptake, there’s a big benefit to having the rapid flexibility, and the efficiency leads to cheaper bills over fixed hardware costs. It’s popular because it adds up for many customers in many situations, they gain from switching over. But there’s still plenty of reasons why people need to retain their own infrastructure and wouldn’t commit everything. And regional failures on cloud networks do happen.

Don’t get me wrong, I like having good hardware in my hands. I’d rather write music with a synth with lots of manual analogue controls rather than just clicking with software. Even if it was all virtually replicated, you lose a lot in the performance.

But imagine as a future home user. Whenever you’re just doing light tasks, you only use a trickle of resource with minimal cost. But you can dial up a beast machine for a couple of hours of intensive gaming etc, and only be charged for exactly what you used

I always liked buying the best spec PC I could afford, waiting if worthwhile, and then making it last for as many years as possible. Best enjoyment and value out of the kit instead of constant smaller updates. It helped that GPUs came along, because that became the main focus and old PCs could survive pretty well with GPU upgrades. But now GPUs are more expensive than ever, and if you need max performance even the latest are not enough. So this is why I’m now thinking that with this expensive GPU turnover, it might become more economical in future via a gaming cloud.

4 Likes

I remember Bleem! :wink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!

Enjoyed Gran Turismo and MGS running on my PC :+1:

1 Like