StarVR One is EoL

Wasn’t that still done almost entirely in software? IIRC StarVR had like 4 view ports instead of 2, which is also why game compatibility was so low.

It seems like eye tracking could be quite integral to solving distortion on wide FOV headsets that are also compatible with current standards. Of course you’re right that the lenses will also play a big part, although IIRC ashperic actually has more distortion than fresnel but Pimax has the hybrid lenses so could be a big help but ultimately the majority of it will be down to software.

I have not dug deeper into the dev documentation. But I recall a number of interviews where the devs stated that they use dynamic distortion profiles. Again without looking at what the driver is doing in real time its hard to tell but I feel its got to be true. Because there is nothing particularly fancy about the lenses in the StarVR they are just double stacked fresnels and while they were custom made to work with these displays beyond that there is no secret sauce just good calibration from the factory.
As for foveated rendering this dev doc suggests that its on the dev to implement the FFR quality during project creation. However without a properly calibrated through the lens it would not be easy to test if FFR is indeed on all the time.

2 Likes

yes indeed. The creator mentioned that they never really had any issues with lens warping. If you take a look at any application within the StarVR, there is none. That is simply due to better lenses and profiles

However, most likely Tobii may be doing some work to keep the image stable, but I cant say for sure. I believe remembering Lionel being curious as to why Pimax had such issues with distortion

2 Likes

Looks like StarVR is dead.

There is no longer a purchase page

Indeed, it seems much more likely that they are fully winding down operations and will only keep the essential staff until they close the offices.
But on a more positive note I will be doing an upload with my gameplay in HL2 VR soon. It runs amazingly well on this headset and with no culling that I can see.

I think my StrVR One unit has an issue. The floor grid on Steam VR is stuck at eye level. I can’t fix it. Doesn’t happen with other headsets

Dope, drop a link

I sent 2 emails to StarVR Support team few days ago. I have gotten nothing back. I think the whole thing is shut down, no response from them

At this rate I am surprised they still have the site up and operational thought I suppose hosting and domain rights are not too expensive. It is a rather sad ending for what I would consider to be the best wide fov tech under $4k Having not tried the VRgineers headsets I do not have a good comparison but the 8KX did not impress. I am hoping that the new 12K model will solve the distortion issues of the prior models! And well frankly I love OLED tech in the VIVE and the StarVR and if QLED is the future I am here for it. Darker blacks and higher peak NIT output are a must in VR at this point.

1 Like

Thats what i think also…And good audio and a good mic and lightweight

2 Likes

@achaji3

What do you want to share?

It’s a spam bot. The 2 dots at the end are malicious links.

1 Like

aw, gotcha!

Thanks for the flag. Spam bot has been deleted. :beers::sunglasses::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.