Somnium VR-1 Q3 2023

Definitely interested in this one too. If they’re indeed releasing it this year, as they claim, it’s going to be very interesting!

Hopefully they’re not going to be scammers like Pimax (sorry there’s just not a better word in this context, it’s just scamming, plain and simple) when it comes to FoV lies … If they indeed can deliver on that FoV, I’m probably going to buy it

3 Likes

I don’t see how it can be more than the Crystal. So in the UK I’m expecting £1600 max.

But I guess we need to see the lenses first. If there’s any sort of glare or double Crystal will look better.

I’ve not seen much on the Audio side for the VR1. I hope it’s modular so third parties can make add ons. There needs to be a standard connection like the BSB.

1 Like

There is a 3.5mm audio jack on it.

1 Like

That’s not great is it?

1 Like

You had stated: “There needs to be a standard connection like the BSB.” It has a USB-C and 3.5mm jack on the left side. And a USB-C on the right side. Those seemed standard to me.

4 Likes

Oh I meant a standard connection for the Headstrap to connect to the HMD like the one used on the BSB.

Once we have a standard connection we could then use any Headstrap on any HMD.

3.5mm Jack is so old school but I guess it’s there for legacy headphones.

2 Likes

Hope so, but what makes you think so? Because it doesn’t have controllers and all the standalone garbage? Possible, but it’s also not being manufactured in China, this might affect the price negatively.

Can’t wait for some youtubers to get their hands on this thing.

1 Like

Crystal has the clarity which is hard to beat. Simmers seam to like it. Why would they buy something that cost more to get the same result?

The VR1 has no battery’s or Audio so savings there.

But hey hope for the best and expect the worse.

If it’s more than £1600 I’m out and would rather stick with my fully functional Pico4 and wait for HTC or Valve. I’m in no rush.

1 Like

It does have audio as per the screenshot in your OP.

1 Like

There’s no audio in the Headstrap.

1 Like

Simmers also want the huge FOV though, and the less ridiculous shape and weight, and the clarity should really be the same or better based on what they’ve said so far.

As a simmer, if I had the choice between only the Crystal and VR1, I would definitley be wiling to pay more for the VR1 if it functions as advertised. But since the Crystal is already very expensive, there is of course a point in pricing where it simply becomes too much for most people.

In any case, I doubt companies simply price these niche products according to their competition. If that was the case, the Aero would’ve had a big drop in price to below the Crystal’s price after the Crystal launched. There’s other variables too, cost of manufacturing (and research) presumably being a primary factor.

1 Like

Insane Simmers who might buy an Xtal. :grin:

1 Like

The MRTV interview with the CEO just now definitely made it sound like it will be in the 2k+ range IMO.

2 Likes

It’s funny Artur says his two main headsets are Index and Pico4, that’s what I use lol.

Sadly after watching that video my interest in the VR1 has gone off a cliff. Somnium is heading into the Varjo direction and away from casual VR gamers.

It still boggles my mind how all these companies see the success of the Index but can’t make a headset as good as the Index but with better resolution and optics. Index is 4 years old! Yet no one apart from the Reverb G2 has come close.

The VR1 is going to struggle against Varjo and Pimax imo. It’s not even in the same ballpark as the Pico4.

I’m very disappointed.

2 Likes

On the good side they’re using a mount that can be used for any strap.

1 Like

Don’t be, be realistic instead.

The market for PCVR is absolutely tiny and both Meta and the CCP have subsidised their offerings so strongly that there is an unbridgeable gap for non-subsidised competitors to recoup their R&D cost without a storefront (solely resting on customer lifetime value) if not via high product prices.

I am very happy to pay Varjo prices for Varjo quality.

So let’s see where the VR-1 lands on the quality/$ metric.

If that doesn’t float your boat there is always a Quest3 to give you a cheap upgrade to your Pico4.

3 Likes

Actually it won’t be that cheap either. If you are aiming for the 512 GB version, add the charging dock & a better strap (be it the Meta Elite strap or a 3rd party strap), you are going to pay €850+ for it. It will definitely be worth it, but we are no longer talking about being in the lower hundreds of Euros.

Still a sharp contrast to 2-3k, of course. I did not have the time to listen to 90 minutes of Somnium, and frankly, they are new to the market, and what we get now is their marketing story. We’ve heard many of those, some of the headsets never even made it to the market at the end, and it remains to be seen if they can avoid the treacherous waters of first time producers. I have witnessed a number of e.g. crowdfunding projects stumble on the execution to varying degrees of usefulness of the final product.

Heck, even a company as experienced as Pimax is screwing up their new product releases time & again, so let’s lean back and see what the first customers of the VR-1 will have to say about the product when it’s in daily use with them.

At this stage I wouldn’t get too excited about it given the lack of independent hands-on reviews with the near production version of it. A couple of CES clips won’t get me excited (anymore - the 8K at the time was different, but that’s quite a while ago).

6 Likes

Completely agreed but I pay €800 p.a. just for the software license of my HMD so I guess ‚cheap‘ is more reliant on perspective than anything else.

More correct would have more likely bene ‚more affordable‘ but even that includes connotations and assumptions on household incomes that can be understood as insensitive.

As it stands, €1.000 seems to have become the barrier to entry for new high-end PCVR HMDs and looking at what the Crystal, Aero and possibly the VR-1 bring to the table, they have halved the price of just the product alone for very close to the feature set of a VR-3

4 Likes

Why do you think it will struggle VS Varjo and Pimax? The FOV alone would be a reason to buy for many, myself included, as long as the price isn’t completely off the wall.

And why could it not be a worthy successor of the Index? Due to the suspected pricing?

I think it was clear from the start that it would be high end and not casual though.