Some controller Compatibility issues with Index controller (Some Info)

I had the same feeling! Always seemed to happen with my hand at my waist. I adjusted my lighthouses even, figuring maybe it’s because the knuckles are tougher to track but no

Hopefully there is a possible software solution. Yeah my logs have the same messages, and the exact same behavior. I have the 5k+ and 2.0 LHs and index controllers.

I got my friend to bring over his Index headset and set it up in the same room and had zero issues in the logs and tracking wise.
And when I brought my pimax over and used his 2.0 LHs and index controllers setup the same issues appeared.

So that rules out the LHs and controllers from being defective. I’ve just been waiting over the past couple months hoping for a fix. I’ve been trying every pitool update, and have been trying every firmware update for S/N 203 5k+ headsets. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

i tried unpairing my controllers and then re-pairing them using pitool. i don’t remember how i originally set them up but i know it wasn’t using pitool. it seemed like things were maybe a little better but i’m unsure. it definitely still jumped here and there. having my hands closer to the HMD does seem to prevent them from jumping away on me though.

also, i just realized i have a pretty reflective poster right next to one of my LH. i took it down and i’ll try again tomorrow to see if removing it helped.

2 Likes

Did anyone submitted a ticket for this? I’m pretty sure Pimax will not work on this unless we do so XD

1 Like

I have two Steam Controller dongles, I’m very tempted to flash them to SteamVR dongles and not use the receivers in the headset, just to see what happens.

For anyone else curious I intend to follow this guide How to revert Watchman Dongle back to Steam Controller Wireless Receiver/dongle :: Natural Locomotion General Discussions

2 Likes

removing the poster had no effect. it’s still just as bad as yesterday.

It’s been months since i got my ICs so had forgotten that I had a similar issue initially and found I had to move my Pimax to my Asmedia usb 3.1 controller exclusively. The rest of my stuff is hooked up to my Intel usb 2 and 3 controllers. All my controllers are on mobo.
When using Vive wands, I needn’t do that. I deduced the more complex IC’s were taking more bandwidth and the Pimax does use a lot of usb bandwidth itself.
This may be of value as not all usb controllers are created equal as Oculus cautioned early on. They certainly discourage powered hubs which are also of varying quality.
fwiw.

6 Likes

i tried this and it seems like it actually did help although my index controllers still jump around a bit. i was using the vive link box which was plugged into a USB 3.0 port. i removed the link box from the equation and instead plugged into a USB 3.1 port directly.

2 Likes

I think its a little false to assume using a 3.1 port in the PC will solve bandwidth problems, considering internally the headset is only using a USB 2.1 hub anyway. For whats its worth, I’m also using an Intel 3.1 Host Controller, with no other devices attached. The headset is getting all the bandwidth it wants.

I am verifying this claim with the UsbTreeView application.

EDIT: Hold on, I take some of that back. It appears the 3.1 Host Controller has two ‘high speed’ ports, and two ‘SuperSpeed’ ports. None of the ports seem to wake up the SuperSpeed port. I dont know if thats because none of my devices are SuperSpeed capable (including the Pimax), or because the SuperSpeed is reserved for the Type C connections, and I dont have any C-A adapters.

I have some spare PCI slots, might pick up a 3.1 Type A expansion board

1 Like

I just ordered a pci e 3.1 card, will be here Tuesday. I’ll let you know if it solves my issues. Right now it’s not unplayable for me but definitely bothersome, every 2 to 5 minutes I’ll have a tracking issue

1 Like

It wasn’t about no other devices attached to my ASMEDIA 3.1 controller. It was about “less” devices (aka my Pimax) attached to my INTEL controller which controls my usb 2 and 3.0 ports where I hook up my other devices.
I finished with FWIW. If it isn’t worth anything to you that’s the way it is.
OMMV -or not.
As Rod Serling use to say at the begining of the Twilight Zone “Offered For Your Consideration” :grinning:

2 Likes

i used UsbTreeView to confirm that my Pimax was alone on my “ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller” the last time i used it. before that, it was on the same controller that everything else on my PC is connected to. that was probably not good for it. everything else on my PC is currently connected to my “Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)”.

I have another empty “Intel® USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)” that i’m going to try to see if it’s any better or worse.

2 Likes

my e-miall adress : alex.liu@pimaxvr.com

2 Likes

i’m getting the same performance in both the ASMedia and Intel controllers. it’s playable but hopefully there will be a fix soon.

I’ve always used the 3.1 port on my PC for my Pimax. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be here if it fixed the controller dropping issue.

2 Likes

Yep, just got my usb 3.1 pci-e card and I’m having the same issue. On it’s own 10 gb/s usb 3.1 port and my left hand is still losing tracking. Same event log errors as others as well.

I really hope pimax looks into this. I’m going to try my vive tomorrow and see if the same behavior persists…

2 Likes

I’ll be waiting eagerly, I’ve seen other people post with similar problems and they’ve had the index headset.

1 Like

I tried some things to fix the problem yesterday by disconnecting one controller again and it seems to track perfectly, but still could be just a coincidence. Need to try this more. It’s probably USB related then. Though we can’t ignore that most of the left index controllers are for some reason worse than the right. But the tracking issue I’m having is with both controllers and it comes and goes. I also tried slamming both controllers together and didn’t have any issues afterwards till I quit. Could be a coincidence though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have tried using two USB-C cables to attach the controllers to the headset. Aside from it being unusable, I didnt notice any drop outs (although I didnt try for very long - this is not a very good idea). If other people can replicate then it points the finger of blame back at the receivers in the headset, not the USB systems.

@SweViver have you noticed any of these problems? Maybe you could take a closer look? Maybe it’s not your job but you are someone to trust. I understand if you got your hands full though