So is the xtal still the best vr headset out there(even to expensive)?

Didn’t hear something about it since many many month.

8 Likes

Hey @VoodooDE didn’t you try both the xtal and starvr? What do you think? Is it worth to get the xtal if your wallet allows for it?

3 Likes

You should buy both, and test those xtal lenses in the 8K-X Sjed. Lol :wink:

3 Likes

Haha I actually like that idea. But man opening up a hmd that costs me 6000 eur lol… Then again, man it would rock hard to have those lenses in the 8k x!!

3 Likes

I would say that for me, the distortion (in Normal) is very minor and that I usually don’t notice it. I wear multifocal (progressive) lenses, so it may be that my brain is better adapted to such distortion (or that my head-shape is better suited to the 8K).

I can say that, the first time I used my 8K, I didn’t notice any distortion and I was able to use it for over an hour, without any noticeable eyestrain. I can trigger both distortion and eyestrain, but only if the settings are out of adjustment.

What bothers me most is the SDE, which I find very noticeable in Elite D.

It’s interesting how different people perceive the various issues. The lack of a true black doesn’t particularly bother me either.

9 Likes

4,900 Euros from memory no?

1 Like

Plus 200 for tracking capabilities +vat + delivery as I understand currently

2 Likes

So basically a house.

4 Likes

Or get used to as myself. After 9 months of extensive sim playing I dont see distortion at all , even when I want to find them. I did some tweaks and IPD settings so It might be combination of both factors. Do you believe me ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha. I was just reading an article on how nowadays you can hire a hitman in Amsterdam to have somebody killed for 5000 eur :flushed: so we’re talking about the equivalent of a life here lol

4 Likes

I do believe you can get used to them if you use them long enough… But man that’s not something I am looking out to lol

1 Like

I wouldn’t let my neighbours know I have a XTAL. They might kill me for it.

2 Likes

the best headset is the one you can buy.
Pimax is a bridge between the wide FOV headset you cannot afford and the “cheap” ones with low-res low FOV you can afford.
In that sens, Pimax is the best.
If you are really involved in the quest of a good headset, the lack of LH and controller was not a problem , they were available from Vive from Day1.
Same for a decent headstrap.
Eyes tracking is nice but you will find nobody using it , so we can wait 1 year or two (and probably we will get GPU that won’t need DFR anymore)
Nice hand tracking is better since there are tons of purpose for it (like replacing controller), so expect the implementation to arrive fast.
The last lacking part that really hurts for room installation is the wireless.
Having not so hi-res in pimax 5k+ for exemple is not so bad since it will allow wireless sooner than in high-end/hi-res headset that will never see wireless.

5 Likes

And Btw I heard that XTAL is not free from geometry distortions, it was even worst than Pimax couple months ago. Dont know how they progress with that.

2 Likes

Well I did read that, long ago but from what I understand they are using new lenses now. But man that would be a bummer, cashing out 6000 eur just to find out that sweviver was just hyping things up…

4 Likes

It was becouse of new lenses design. I will try to find that video , i guess it was at MRTV #.

2 Likes

Voodoo told us already don’t expect that the gaming edition will ever happen…

3 Likes

Yeah I guess XTAL ideas has changed when Pimax strikes back and acquired Martin for community job…

xtal gaming edition

LARGE FOV WITHOUT EYE TRACKING = DISTORSIONS

Why are we even talking ?

Personally I felt that a gaming edition made no sense. How could they make that much cheaper? Cut back on service and guarantee maybe but that’s it

1 Like