So is the xtal still the best vr headset out there(even to expensive)?

I did watch the video again from sweviver and i think its still the best vr headset out there,a pitty about the crazy price…

3 Likes

Yes it appears so, as it uses OLED technology and it has better lenses. Until pimax resolves eyestrain problems and makes better lenses then they wont be the first, but we wont know for sure until an independent reviewer who experienced eyestrain before gets their hands on one if the current HMD design and lenses remained the same.

6 Likes

Be nice if Pimax would make some good quality lens and sell them seperately to install in the Pimaxes. This way could keep price down for the average Joe

2 Likes

Hmm I’m actually thinking about buying the XTAL. It seems we’re not going to get better wide FoV VR anytime soon, if the hype is real of course :slight_smile:

6 Likes

if i had the money i would buy it too,OLED screens with almost no screendoor(see the picture comparison with the 5kplus in this video)
No distortion,a wide field off view.
Make it 2000 euro,i will buy it for sure…

1 Like

Yeah it’s crazy expensive of course. I just placed an ‘inquiry to order’ on their website and just found out that the price doesn’t even include shipping. And it also seems (I’m not 100% sure) that you need to buy a special module to enable tracking? Or is that not correct @SweViver ? And it doesn’t seem to include audio neither.

Anyway I assume they’ll be contacting me soon with some more info what the total price will come down to and then I’ll see If I’ll pull the trigger.

2 Likes

wow when you get it,i want to know all off it…

I hope the price comes down

2 Likes

Hehe, really not sure yet, it depends on what the final price will be … But I’m getting fed up with waiting and waiting for years for better VR. So if the XTAL really is as good as @sweviver claims it is, I just might pull the trigger and be done with that waiting for better VR.

1 Like

yea me too,and i need oled for the blacks and colors(it adds 50% more immersion)
Its also easier to get better performance with the xtal…(only at lower hz)
And i dont want distortion anymore with a vr headset let say above the 200 euro!

2 Likes

Yep. But it is heavy & 70hz at 5k. But without an extended trial can’t really just go on specs & impressions imho at that pricepoint

2 Likes

Exactly this. I know that the Pimax 8k-X will probably be even sharper but having the same lenses just as the current gen is just such a bummer … I actually dusted off my 5k+ this morning again and AGAIN tried everything possible to somehow magically fix the distortion, moving up/down/left/right/tilt up/tilt down, adjusting the software IPD … but I can never get it ‘perfect’, not even close. I strongly am starting to believe that anyone who claims he has an undistorted, geometrically stable VR world in his Pimax, just doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

So, I don’t really believe that the 8k-X is going to be better from that perspective. And then I saw the video again you just posted and thought, hmm maybe I should just do it :slight_smile: So now awaiting an email from VRengineers with the final price for the XTAL. Will let you know what they quote me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

lol i did the same thing today.

I also tried to play a game again on the pimax 5kplus.

Yes the field off view was nice again but the discomfort for my eyes very bad(if this is also with the 8kx then its a wasted of money)

After that i put on the index and my eyes where happy again(exept for the glare)
So i want the xtal too,or a acer if they have a suprise for us with a cheaper starvr one.

3 Likes

Haha, too funny, I did the exact same thing this morning and exactly felt the same. After messing with the 5k+, you put on the index and immediately feel ‘aah yeah that’s how it’s supposed to be’. But then, you do miss the FoV.

3 Likes

XTAL is 4900 euro for the HMD plus 200 euro for the lighthouse 2.0 tracking clip on module, then you need to buy the lighthouses from Valve and any controllers

2 Likes

I do have LH’s and controllers. So the total for the HMD that can track will then come down to 5100 EUR + shipping + VAT? In my case I won’t need to pay VAT but will need to pay 12% import tax. So the final price probably will be around 6000 EUR. Haha it IS crazy of course, but man, waiting all these years for better VR is driving me crazy too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Xtal Tbh seems to be the better.

StarVR One

• Oled RGB
    +/- Possibly 210 W FoV *@Lower Res than 5k (vive pro like Res)
  • 90hz single or dual input
  • Eye Tracking
  • Release Unknown if ever
  • Still expensive headset only (incomplete) req 3rdparty.

Xtal

• 5k Oled
    +/- 170W FoV. Smaller than 210.
  • custom hybrid Aspherical lenses
    +/- Custom Eye Tracking (limited use)
    +/- Stream tracking through Add on. Comes with counter weight.
  • 70hz
  • Heavy
  • Expensive
4 Likes

Xtal even spoke about a gaming edition,but i think that is cancled also?
Maybe @VoodooDE knows?

2 Likes

From what I recall they said more along the lines exploring the possibility of a more consumer friendly gaming version.

But yeah be interesting to hear if there moving forward with it or not.

1 Like

I would buy a new car instead… :wink:

2 Likes
1 Like