Smart Smoothing doesn't work on AMD Radeon 6900XT

Pimax chased me up for my logs (to look into fixing 6900xt issues).
It feels really good that Pimax chased me!

I have not played much, recently, but sent some logs.

Pitool 1.0.1.277 and now Pitool 1.0.1.279

Compulsive smoothing : Significant improvement

Still not really usable. I can see two images in 1/2 and I can see three images in 1/3. They are still not aligned correctly, but very close.

Since the beginning of this issue is have updated:
Bios latest
Radeon Adrenalin 22.5.2 Latest
SteamVR latest
I just sent some more logs to Pimax using 279

I am having a great experience without using Smart or Compulsive smoothing.

thanks for your efforts Darrell, keep it going m8

I too play racing sims. So I have a question for you.
I think this is new last week: Project Cars 3 has very high CPU. Project Cars 2 still low or very low CPU. Is that your experience?
I am wondering if i have done something, as every time I have any type of crash I lose all OC and need to reapply CPU and GPU OC. An update of Radeon Adrenalin often means I lose all OC’s and I have to make new on 6900xt (my previous settings will not work) e.g. Last year I set milliwatts 990, last month milliwatts 1002, this week milliwatts 1010. Not the most aggressive OC, just to keep over 2500Mhz.

@Darrell - The Project Cars games stink. Terrible ‘sims’ (they are not really sims - I do amateur RL motorsports and the Project Cars games are bad, really bad) and very poor clarity in terms of the visuals (they go very soft at any distance at all; only things right near you are sharp). Then there is the performance, which is abysmal. You’ll get about 1/4 the performance (really, I’m not making that up) out of PCars as you will out of my preferred SIM setup outlined now:

My suggestion remains AC plus Content Manager plus CSP plus SOL plus Rain Effects. Yes, it will take you a freaking week (not really, but if you are unfamiliar with it, it’ll take at least a good solid day) to get it all working right, but when you are done you’ll have a moddable racing sim with the best physics and FFB out there, plus glorious crisp detail and all the eye candy you can ever want at Wide FOV, with good fps. I would suggest 60fps is fine for racing sims and that’s what I try to maintain in AC. You can go higher if you wish, but not at night and especially not in the rain.

My personal favorite: 60X time on the Green Hell in a slowly increasing and then decreasing looping thunderstorm cycle. You can dive through multiple day/night cycles that way in thunderstorms, with lightning, and freaking fireworks, and the freaking fireworks reflect in the car paint and in the rain on the tarmac. I’m not kidding, it’s an 8 year old sim at this point, but is also hands-down the single most glorious thing I’ve ever seen in VR. It’s just that good…

2 Likes

This sound great.
I will get on that now. Any chance of a link to an idiot how to guide? OK not idiot, but you know.

i live in zhuhai China, next to the zhuhai race track . we like to formula around zhuhai .

i know many race teams

thanks for info

There are a number of guides out there. Start maybe, with a video from this page: Assetto Corsa Setup Guide 2021: Content Manager, SOL, Reshade | RaceDepartment

RaceDepartment is your best bet for all the info you need. It’s complicated. But it basically comes down to:

1. Buy and Install Assetto Corsa (very cheap) - NOT ACC, that’s a totally different product. You want the original Assetto Corsa.

2. Play with it a bit and learn how it works. You will want a basic understanding before going further. It’s a very good sim without anything added, but it lacks things like night, rain, etc.

3. Purchase and install Content Manager for Assetto Corsa, and learn how to use it before moving on.

4. Install CSP, which adds many new features. Note that a few features will need to be turned off for VR / Pimax or they will cause visual issues (or force you to use PP, which you do NOT want to do. AC will work without PP.)

5. Install Sol and Rain Effects. You’ll have to subscribe to Patreon if you want the Rain Effects portion,.

I won’t pretend that it’s easy, but when you are done it is VERY VERY good.

1 Like

BTW, you will not need ReShade (in that guide). Skip it unless you want to add it later. ReShade for VR has serious performance issues.

1 Like

I cant believe this feature is still unavailable to any AMD graphics card users. Its truely shocking come on PIMAX what is being done to fix this, its been years already…

the issue recorded thru the lens here

2 Likes

+1 from me. 6900xt and get that same horrible weirdness. although I’m pretty sure it was garbage when i had a 1080ti too

Well done for capturing this issue on video.

(I have not been able to capture thought the lens - I think my phone can not hit 90FPS, and there is a sink problem)
I did see this issue a long time ago. This is not the issue I am having now. Is it possible your issue is an EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) issue?

Try all the EMI fixes:

• Turn things off to isolate the source
  • Change power supply (plug into the wall on different fuse)
  • Move cables away from each other
  • Do not have cables running parallel with each other
  • Add Ferrite cores
  • Try changing the cables (if you can)(one incorrectly shielded cable can mess up everything)

And I have to ask, Are you on the latest:

• Pitool
  • Firmware
  • Adrenalin (AMD software)
  • Bios
  • SteamVR

As I said

My issue now looks like it is (maybe) the limitations of Smart Smoothing.
E.G. Medal of Honer- firing range: 1/2 SS
Targets look great
Moving the gun I can clearly see two. When I stop moving the two become one again.

Hope this helps!

• Pitool 1.0.1.280
  • Firmware 2.1.255.273
  • Adrenalin ([AMD] 22.8.1
  • Bios latest non-beta
  • SteamVR 1.23.7 Aug 8 2022

I dont think its an EMI issue as the image is only like this when smart smoothing is enabled. I’m on my 2nd headset cable after the the original went snowy, its only a few months old, smart smoothing is same for both cables.

How are you on pitool 1.0.1.280? my 8K+ shows up to date on .277. are there different pitool versions for different headset models? or is it a beta?

looks like 280 isn’t listed, can’t find a link as to where i got it from - many are using it though, probably used a link from their discord server.

thanks, I already found it and its working fine

cool.
I assume Pitool is ok, but not smart smoothing…

Does everything except Smart Smoothing now work on AMD cards? Smart Smoothing is now broken anyway, so as long as everything else functions it looks like we can jump on AMD if we so desire (it’ll be interesting to see how the new AMD cards stand up against the 4090s, especially with Ray Tracing.)

AMD 6900xt words great.
Having said that, I have never used an Nvidia card with my 8kx.