Samsung Wide FOV HMD

Patents unfortunately need to be renewed if one wants to keep technology propitary(or fortunately as the case maybe).

Also sometimes patents were missed in filing as tge creator didn’t have the foresight on how much an impact their invention would have.

2 Likes

That is the question as Oculus patented the use of curved displays last year. Wondet if samsung purchased rights to use this. :laughing:

Panasinic uses 4 displays & fused optics in their 220 Horizontal FoV prototype headset.

StarVR one is just using Multi plane? Rendering. Something that actually has been around for some time.

1 Like

That was originally posted with Article link I think @Cdaked

Very Unique optics special rendering requirements according to the dev at Berlin meetup’s article on pimax.

1 Like

I dont’t remember, but there is something.

And another patent from Samsung.

4 Likes

Well I recall someone posted the article. :laughing:

My understanding is this is not true patents are good for 20 years in US,Canada and internationaly by légal accord but a fee must by paid to the office patent to keep the right alive. After 20 years the idea is given on in the open but every patent is specific for example the Samsung patent include a curve display where the oculus is more a sperique display so the patents don’t really intersect themselves.

2 Likes

Time to hire a lawyer. :laughing::+1:

1 Like

It could be that they patent a certain way the tech works.

1 Like

:grin:
No chance the patent was filed in 2016 in South Korea :slight_smile: -)

1 Like

My take is that, since Samsung sells display panels, that they will license this patent to VR manufacturers who use their panels, but not to those who want to use a different brand panel.

1 Like

Indeed Sansung has added Flexible to the mix.

I’m pretty sure the 180 was referring to maximum binocular fov, whereas individual eye peripheral vision was a separate measurement. Maybe I’m wrong? Sounds like a fantastic standalone hmd. Wonder what 3cosystem it plans to support. Hopefully Bigscreen beta.

1 Like

It’s not a product, or even a prototype has we know of… patent are their to secure market position for possible futur products. The lens for such headset probably even don’t exist don’t hold your breath…

Like @neal_white_iii said Samsung is just securing a market for their flexible panels and clients… beside to be consequential such 180 degres panel will need huge resolution like 8k minimally so driving this sort of beast @90hz will not be possible in the near future ( for a mass market product at a reasonable cost)

3 Likes

Just to be less of a christmas grinch and keep the dream alive :wink:

https://www.clubic.com/pro/entreprises/samsung/actualite-850097-galaxy-5g-coloris-smartphone-pliable-samsung.html

1 Like

I would agree. Hardware patents are often very specific in their implementation (they used to actually require a model to be sent in for the approval process).

1 Like