RTX 2070 Super or GTX 1080ti?

People vary in terms of sensitivity to lag. The thing is, if you add any delay, that will probably affect some people.

To put things in perspective, 70 ms is quite a bit longer than the frame-time of a 90 fps game (which draws a frame every 11.1 ms). 70 ms represents a 6.3 frame lag (and that’s without adding blur).

2 Likes

Yes, but this latency is in reference to our eyes during movement, so it’s probably different than what you may notice while your eyes are focused on something and you’re watching movement.

2 Likes

1080 ti is more powerful and has more VRAM which is especially important for Pimax VR because of higher resolutions…

2 Likes

Thank you all for your opinions and recommendations. :smiley: :+1:
It seems like most of you recommend me the 1080ti, that was also my choice in the end…
…but after I saw the reviews on the net (Rakuten) and that one of the last “new” GTX1080ti on the market from Rakuten is most probably a scam I would never recieve I had no other choice as to go for the 2070 Super, as there are no ‘NEW’ 1080ti anymore on the market, at least in Germany.
Also if I would buy a used 1080ti, the risk of getting a 24/7 used Bitcoin Mining card would be too high for me.

So I looked for Discounts and found & bought a new ‘GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 3X 8G’ on ebay for cheap.
Also I will sell the 2 Games that are included and might get another 30€ off from the game keys. So for ~490€ I think it was a good deal, and if I’m not satisfied with the VR results I can additionally overclock the card to archive a 8% performance plus at 63°C maximum temperature, the 1080ti has over 80°C so I think the 2070 might have a longer lifespan, especially if I would have bought a used 1080ti for the same price. :thinking:

Now I’m curious at the new features of the RTX and what will be different to my GTX970 which played almost anything up-to-date on ultra @1080p. :smile:

@nukular
Thanks for the Site.
Actually I looked again and I have a 4790K (not overclocked). I think I will overclock it for VR and stick with the old CPU and see how the results are, as a new CPU is too expensive for me right now.

@neal_white_iii
Thanks I will definitely check Quake II out. :sunglasses:

Yes, I heard of VorpX! I heard it is possible to play the first DeusEx in VR with it. I’m very excited to try it out as DeusEx is my all time most favorite game. :grin:
Hope my Pimax 8K will get here soon.

3 Likes

JFYI 1080ti would never be used for mining because of power consumption and price.
1070 is more suited for that role…
enjoy the new card and p8k when they arrive!

Tonight, I tried using VorpX with Quake 2 RTX, but wasn’t able to get VorpX to recognize the game, so no VR.

I did get Quake 1 (specifically the great update “quakespasm-sdl2” with colored lighting) to work. Once I increased the in-game res to 2560x1440 and increased the UI “scaling”, it looked and played great! Back in the day, I was a huge fan of the original Quake. It’s fun to see it looking so good in VR!

More info on QuakeSpasm: Quakespasm | Quake Wiki | Fandom (I’m using the Win 64 version)

2 Likes

Hi Zeus

Die Grafikkarten sind beide zu langsam für die Pimax.
Das reicht noch nicht mal für die 5k.

Ich kann dir aus eigener Erfahrung berichten das selbst die 1080Ti für eine Pimax 5k zu langsam ist.

Natürlich läuft die Pimax darauf.
Aber sehr sehr bescheiden!!!

Sobald du SteamVR Startest dann bewertet das Programm dein System und stellt danach die Pixel ein.
Das ist ein Wert der in der Config von SteamVR gespeichert wird. Ist deine Grafikkarte zu langsam weil du nur eine 1080ti oder RTX 2070 hast… Dann ist dieser Wert recht niedrig. Auf Grund dessen wird die Pimax sehr stark gedrosselt. Das Bild sieht dann schlecher aus wie in der Rift oder Vive!

Darum mein persönlicher Tipp für dich:

Kaufe dir eine 2080 Ti OC!
Ansonsten wirst du mit der pimax nicht glücklich sein.

Wir haben auf Facebook eine deutsche Pimax Gruppe.
Dort kannst du dich mal einlesen.

Die Diskussion mit Grafikkarten hatten wir schon.

Und zur deiner Information : wenn du alle Funktionen in Pitool benutzten möchtest… Dann brauchst du eine RTX Grafikkarte. Den bestimmte Funktionen gehen nur mit RTX. Mit einer alten 1080Ti fehlen Funktionen im Pitool.

Generell würde ich keine GTX Grafikkarten für eine Pimax verwenden. (wegen Verzerrungen usw. )

I’m in the same boat looking for a new card, but just cant make my mind up. I don’t have the money for 2080 TI, and I have a 7600k on a board that Intel microcode locked down, (so I cant overclock.)

I’m torn. I want a 2080 super, but its just not enough of a bump over 2070 S or 2080.

1 Like

If you want to play with a Pimax 5k or 8k, then only a 2080Ti makes sense.

If you can not buy a 2080Ti, it’s better with an index VR glasses !!!

The Pimax needs a 2080ti if it should look good.

Otherwise, the graphics are not so good.

1 Like

This I disagree with. 2080 ti will on any more recent VR headset will give best use & should. But if you want best why settle for a 2080 ti when there are $7k gpus?

But there are many vid carda that can muster good reasonable experience. Voodoode & Seb even demonstrated on a 1660 ti.

1 Like

you can do it, but the graphics look bad!

We already had this discussion in the German Facebook group! I can only recommend a 2080 TI!

It makes no sense to buy a clamp sports car and then install a 10kw engine;)

1 Like

If we are talking what makes sense a $1200 GPU certainly isn’t that. I could buy a fully working ATV for less money than one of those things. Nvidia have lost their minds because of the crypto boom and lacking competition.

1 Like

I’m sure a 2080Ti would be better, but it’s still significantly overpriced, imo. I have a factory-overclocked 2080 (which should be roughly comparable to a 2080 Super) and it plays games just fine on my 8K.

3 Likes

especially in germany, people don’t mine at home considering el. price

p.s. i wouldn’t believe those testers praising 2080ti. Pretty sure that 1080ti will show same quality as 2080ti if same config used. Second hand 1080ti is the must have.

1 Like

Indeed as some only see specs = quality graphics. :wink:

As said why settle for a wimpy 2080 ti when there are $7k video cards?

Is the 7k€$ card faster in games?

1 Like

Peobably Linus did some tests on them. Lol

titan series, not much difference, but hey, “they” told its not about performance difference, but quality :smile:

this crap is written in german lang, need to use translator to rofl a bit)