Rigid hinges, prevents wobble

Now I understand what you say, you want to fix the vive DAS without the possibility of using its rotation point and that all that block rotates on the rigid hinge but with several positions and not with free movement. Let’s go what I have done with the MAS of Pimax but with the DAS.
Your idea would be something like this, inspired by your link:

Now I understand what you say, you want to fix the vive DAS without the possibility of using its rotation point and that all that block rotates on the rigid hinge but with several positions and not with free movement. Let’s go what I have done with the MAS of Pimax but with the DAS.
Your idea would be something like this, inspired by your link:

The issue is that I don’t have a vive DAS so if I design something it would be theoretical, without the possibility of testing if everything really fits and works well, it also adds a lot of volume to the sides. Although I can assure you that if I had a live DAS I would believe it since it seems like a very good idea. I do not rule it out, maybe I will start doing it and whoever is interested will print it and share experiences and optimizations.

2 Likes

Oooo this looks really cool. Do you have the files for this one?

cause I dont really like my Pimax 8k X wobble when ever i turn.

@EruKaze @Trigen @Lucivr . Finally I have gotten involved and I have created the 3D in .STL for your vive DAS. It is a totally theoretical design, the one that he wants to try will tell me how it fits and works. It is for the right side, but mirroring before printing the hinge and vive DAS adapter will work for the left side. Everything has to be assembled with an M3 bolt and nut.

Some photos and the compressed file with the 3 necessary files.

This last photo is a section of the part of the gear that will give the fixed positions of the vertical movement, do not hold it, it will have that mechanism, you will tell me.

An observation, surely you have to create by filing this part that I mark in red, it interferes with the conford kit a bit. I thought the modification was made in 3D but it is not. It is almost better to do it later so you adjust it to your liking and it would also not be necessary to print it with a mirror for the left side, in this way it is totally symmetrical.
And another thing, I have printed everything in ABS, it has more resistance, some flexibility and can be filed or sanded very easily.

Great, Thanks! I think i have enough plastic around to give it a try.

@Chumet

I’ll have to give this a go. A few questions.

• What size screws and hardware is needed to attach the Pimax MAS to the rigid hinge?

• Does the pin need a Phillips or Flat head screwdriver and does it unscrew like a normal screw?

• Which .stl file is for the Pimax DAS rigid hinges?

Metric Screws and Nuts (M4)

The pin is removed with a philips tip screwdriver, it unscrews counterclockwise like any other screw. Mine were loose so I didn’t have to make any effort to loosen them.

To join the vive DAS with the Pimax you need the three .STL files for the whole as shown in the image in the previous post, for one side and they are symmetrical for both sides

@Chumet

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to clarify, I have the Pimax branded DMAS NOT the Vive MAS. Do these hinges that you have made work with that strap?

So they are the first ones that I designed for the Pimax MAS, and they are the ones that I am using:

So they are the first ones that I designed for the Pimax MAS, and they are the ones that I am using in the first post. Everything is attached with M4 bolts and nuts.
And a question, the DMAS were not delivered with rigid metal hinges? I saw a photo in another post and said, like my design.

2 Likes

@chumet

I have the SMAS and those DMAS hinges are different.

Don’t know if you read my posts regarding jitter? I’ve bought another 2.0 bsse station and the jitter/drifting is much less like 1.0 tracking.

Yes, I saw her, and I remember your problems. You just need to try to calibrate the Pimax with LH 1.0. But if you already think that it works well for you. Well better

Hello Chumet :slightly_smiling_face:

Any chance that you could remake that Hinge, so it can be atttached like the original hinge (without the nut and bolt) ? :sunglasses:

(damn my phones auto correction in a different language) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes I can do it, but I designed it that way because it is more robust and you have several fixed angle positions. The original design of pimax is very weak for 3D printing and I already lost the stops with the original parts due to the wear of the plastic. But if you want I can make you a fixed hinge with the original pimax fixing.

1 Like

Makes sence, with the original Pimax fixing sounds ok to me, maybe angle the stop 10 degrees further back :+1:
Thanks Jaime

@Chumet @MrAhlefeld

Can Chumets design file be available as a STEP file for CNC? Then if Chumets hinges can be designed with the existing plastic tabbed hinge point of attachment, they could possibly avoid the wear issue.

As I’ve posted elsewhere, Pimax looked to have redesigned the Metal hinges attachment point so the stops allow the MAS to go lower.

Here you have my rigid hinge with the fixing to the original Pimax MAS and with an extra 10 degrees of inclination. I have been based on the model that is in another publication.
This is for the left side, for the right side you have to make a mirror before printing.

2 Likes

Translated to step:

1 Like

@Chumet

Thanks for uploading the files!

Which freeware program can be used to make mirror or right side?

To print in 3D I first use “Ultimaker CURA” to prepare the .STL to .gcode with the appropriate printing parameters for the printing material, and from there you can make a mirror of the piece

Would this work for mirroring the left rigid hinge to make right hinge?

Mirroring Video

Or

Mirror Video 2

UPDATE 13/06: I managed to mirror the left hinge in Tinkercad

1 Like