Rigid hinges, prevents wobble

I have designed rigid hinges that prevent wobbling when moving the head quickly and allow any angle of the MAS to lower everything you need, they are symmetrical so they can be mounted on both sides. They give a very firm hold of the HMD to the MAS and to the head, largely avoiding the problem of wobbling when moving the head quickly:

15 Likes

Nice work, isnit difficult to remove the pin from the HMD like that?

1 Like

You mean the metal pin? It is very easy, with a small screwdriver it unscrews and comes out instantly. Easier than I thought, in fact mine was already weak without knowing it.

2 Likes

hi, chumet. thank you for your message. i’ve been waiting for something like this for a long time. can you send me the file somehow?

can you make another version, the part with the pin a little further up or down. there are then again 2 parts for left and right. but for people with vive DAS certainly more pleasant.

1 Like

I can make a version for the vive DAS, scrolling up. Then I pass the link to download both versions. Finally I will have to subscribe to thingiverse since I have many useful mods for our 8kx. Also recently some mounts for shotgun stock for index controllers that are working very well for me.

2 Likes

I was going to design some adapters for the DAS that you can pull a geared pin you can pull in and out and set the angle of the HMD but feel free to implement that with this version. I kind of need a custom one though as the DAS on its loosest setting is still to slack for me.

2 Likes

I have created the rigid hinge for the vive DAS, it is for the right side, you just have to make a mirror before printing the left side. I also include my original design for the pimax MAS, now they have a hand, that is, the one I include is for the right side since I have made a retouch so that it does not touch the conford kit, I had to retouch it by hand.

The geometry for vive DAS is not perfect, because working on an STL file is not suitable in CATIA V5, it turns into a solid with no history that you cannot retouch and from there add my design.

2 Likes

I do not quite understand your idea, mine is that the hinge is as rigid as possible so that it gives the feeling that it is part of the HMD housing and that it already has the right angle so that both hinges are parallel.

thanks chumet, will try it.
i think trigen wants to prevent it from tipping off when the headband is tightened more tightly.

I mean for the up and down tilt. Looking at the org hinges it does look like you are doing that?

Its something i’d like for the DAS too but since they have these click in hinges you would need to cover them and make a new insert which they can sit in like this Vive DAS Adapter for Oculus Quest 2 (Improved) - FrankenQuest by sekazi - Thingiverse

Then you would add a small gear that so you can change the angle of the strap and keep it there.

Now I understand what you say, you want to fix the vive DAS without the possibility of using its rotation point and that all that block rotates on the rigid hinge but with several positions and not with free movement. Let’s go what I have done with the MAS of Pimax but with the DAS.
Your idea would be something like this, inspired by your link:

Now I understand what you say, you want to fix the vive DAS without the possibility of using its rotation point and that all that block rotates on the rigid hinge but with several positions and not with free movement. Let’s go what I have done with the MAS of Pimax but with the DAS.
Your idea would be something like this, inspired by your link:

The issue is that I don’t have a vive DAS so if I design something it would be theoretical, without the possibility of testing if everything really fits and works well, it also adds a lot of volume to the sides. Although I can assure you that if I had a live DAS I would believe it since it seems like a very good idea. I do not rule it out, maybe I will start doing it and whoever is interested will print it and share experiences and optimizations.

2 Likes

Oooo this looks really cool. Do you have the files for this one?

cause I dont really like my Pimax 8k X wobble when ever i turn.

@EruKaze @Trigen @Lucivr . Finally I have gotten involved and I have created the 3D in .STL for your vive DAS. It is a totally theoretical design, the one that he wants to try will tell me how it fits and works. It is for the right side, but mirroring before printing the hinge and vive DAS adapter will work for the left side. Everything has to be assembled with an M3 bolt and nut.

Some photos and the compressed file with the 3 necessary files.

This last photo is a section of the part of the gear that will give the fixed positions of the vertical movement, do not hold it, it will have that mechanism, you will tell me.

An observation, surely you have to create by filing this part that I mark in red, it interferes with the conford kit a bit. I thought the modification was made in 3D but it is not. It is almost better to do it later so you adjust it to your liking and it would also not be necessary to print it with a mirror for the left side, in this way it is totally symmetrical.
And another thing, I have printed everything in ABS, it has more resistance, some flexibility and can be filed or sanded very easily.

Great, Thanks! I think i have enough plastic around to give it a try.

@Chumet

I’ll have to give this a go. A few questions.

• What size screws and hardware is needed to attach the Pimax MAS to the rigid hinge?

• Does the pin need a Phillips or Flat head screwdriver and does it unscrew like a normal screw?

• Which .stl file is for the Pimax DAS rigid hinges?

Metric Screws and Nuts (M4)

The pin is removed with a philips tip screwdriver, it unscrews counterclockwise like any other screw. Mine were loose so I didn’t have to make any effort to loosen them.

To join the vive DAS with the Pimax you need the three .STL files for the whole as shown in the image in the previous post, for one side and they are symmetrical for both sides

@Chumet

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to clarify, I have the Pimax branded DMAS NOT the Vive MAS. Do these hinges that you have made work with that strap?

So they are the first ones that I designed for the Pimax MAS, and they are the ones that I am using:

So they are the first ones that I designed for the Pimax MAS, and they are the ones that I am using in the first post. Everything is attached with M4 bolts and nuts.
And a question, the DMAS were not delivered with rigid metal hinges? I saw a photo in another post and said, like my design.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/so-where-is-our-dmas-now-shipping/35222/347?u=chumet

2 Likes

@chumet

I have the SMAS and those DMAS hinges are different.

Don’t know if you read my posts regarding jitter? I’ve bought another 2.0 bsse station and the jitter/drifting is much less like 1.0 tracking.