Resolution comparison 8k X vs 8k

(This time really :wink: ) final version of the comparison. Same images like above but categorized by HMD (5k, 8k, 8k X, 8k X 100° FoV) and GPU (GTX 980+, Highend NextGen etc.)

same link again: Online-Speicher

1 Like

This is quite illustrative of what to expect, if however we do not consider lens warp and screen geometry. Normally, even for 8K-X I would assume the rendered resolution will have to be higher to compensate for lens warp aliasing. What is worse is the supersampling (to compensate the lens warp) is progressive, something like 1:3 in the center of the view, 1:1 or even less at the edge of the view.

Second, the display with smaller res may have bigger SDE simply because everything is bigger - pixels, inter-pixel areas, etc., nothing to say about OLED vs LCD, or pentile vs RGB stripe.

So the conclusion is still out there. Based on your samples, I would tend to choose 5K because the text below the picture is slightly more readable, which is understandable since we can avoid one upsampling. But taking into account what I wrote above this might not be true if the whole render path including optics is considered.

8K-X is the perfection, but I am pretty sure (according to my math) there is no card which can run it successfully (in non-trivial games) and unless Volta is twice as performant as Pascal, there will be none in the near future.

1 Like