[Replied]Flicking white dots 5K

Yes @park was mentioning this to @bubbleball. This suggests that some of the wall psu are maybe not sheilded properly.

Another user had what appears to be a defective cable. While another seems to possibly have a bad port on his gpu.

All great efforts on folks debugging issues. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

Hello, I have in my Pimax 5K + flickering white dots. Sometimes they are stronger, sometimes less. I have tried all ports of my graphics card (2080TI). It’s always the same. Have now opened a ticket. Is there any news on this problem?

In SteamVR home i have In Steamvr home I now have only 65-70 FPS and colored dots that fly like small flies through the counter. Every few minutes, the picture becomes dark for a very short time.

looks like a cable issue. https://community.openmr.ai/t/solved-backer-342-pimax-rma-2-unit-arrived-screen-flickering-dots-another-faulty-unit/13252/6?u=mcerono

3 Likes

Just wanted to confirm that my new HMD has arrived and there are no more flickering dots. So big thanks to the Pimax team for sending it through :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hope there is a homemade cable solution from some crafty users out there. 3d print the sleeve and solder a usb-c adapter.

1 Like

So today (1 hour ago) I could pick my second 5k+ at DPD pickup service. This is pledge #247x.

Immediately after pluging the cables the very same way and on same connectors on PC like I did with my first 5k+ (#110x), i immediately noticed the white dots/pixels flashing all over the screen like shown here in video noticable more on darker background. Unplugging (as gently as possible) and replugging both cables on the headset and PC made no difference.

Only thing that helped was using the cable of the first headset! First there was some other horizontal lines/artefacts, by pushing the connector on the headset a little more (even there was a noticeble light click noise when the connecor connected) now the image is fine and clean. so it must be a defective cable, I assume!

Pimax , please check the cables before shipping, also the extension ones!

Now I hope to get new cable as soon as possible.thx!

@Pimax-Support @anon74848233 @Alan.sun and others from quora team

7 Likes

Have you submit this issue to service desk,They will arrange this after confirm.

Sorry about the inconvenient.

2 Likes

Hi!
I just filled up the support ticket, as yesterday I had to go to work immediately after i plugged the headset for a quick try and I didn’t know the requested firmware and pitool version. And unfortunately when I got back home in the evening there was a burglary at my place. Fortunately only some goldpieces of my girlfriend were stolen and no harm to my Pimaxes were done.
Thx for taking care, also about my change from 5k+ to 5k BE! (For the other pledge)

3 Likes

I have the same with my 5K+, easy to miss until you get to a darker background, then very obvious.

I have only tested on one 1070 card at work so far. Tomorrow I will test on another card at home.
I will also make sure the cable is seated properly in the headset and other forum recommendations.
Is it cable shielding, environment noise? Do we have a handle on the actual cause yet? It seems a little common but not massively widespread.

I raised a ticket anyway so there is a record of it but hopefully I can resolved it so I am not without a headset again after waiting so long.

I have two suggestions:

-contact spray for the connections
-Reduction of the audio frequency to 16bit/44.000hz.

I have this “glitter” of bright pixels very rarely + bright flashes. And when it appears, it disappears for seconds. After I used contact spray on the PC side, it hasn’t appeared so far. I’ll get back to you when it reappears.

1 Like

But it’s funny that with one cable there are those flickering dots, and with the other cable attached there is no such issue. Environemental influences stay the same.

1 Like

I was asked for a through the lens video of the issue to confirm/demonstrate it and within an hour of uploading they are already saying I will be sent a new cable.
From open ticket to message saying new cable is on the way, 6hrs.

Awesome job Pimax.

5 Likes

Before I start doing this cable check.

I have to remove the eye surround to unplug and replug the cable?
Do I start pulling that off from around the nose area?

It is all fairly thin plastic, I don’t want to rip it just trying to get access to the cable socket.

You don’t have to remove anything, you can just unplug it by wiggling it and pulling gently.

2 Likes

Hi! Check this video posted by @park https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-detach-the-plastic-mask-i-want-to-detach-the-cable-noise-problem/13212/13?u=vorinami
Push down the mask a little bit and wiggle a bit and pull the cable off.

3 Likes

I would also pull as close to the connector as possible for less possibility of unwanted cable damage.

1 Like

I also have the sparkle, it occurs sporadically and then disappears again. My actions have been so far:

-I removed the cable from the headset and pushed it all the way back in.
-I used a contact spray.
Unfortunately both did not help. What do I have to do to get a replacement cable?

edit: I opened a ticket via service desk, SUPEN-1561. Thanks in advance for help. @anon74848233

1 Like

Little update:

I have good news. I have connected a lenovo explorer (vr-headset) to my PC at the same time. Since I have disconnected the lenovo completely, the pixel glittering is completely gone.

3 Likes

I guess I was too hasty, sadly it reappeared. Unfortunately I had to open a ticket (SUPEN-1639) again because of that.
@anon74848233

Thanks in advance.

@anon74848233 I also have the flickering pixel issue and have done all of the trouble shooting listed in this thread. I’ve opened at ticket (SUPEN-1640). Please help. I’m loving the 5k+ so far!

1 Like