[Replied] An open letter to Pimax and a suggestion to improve public perception

The 1/29 spreadsheet lists 1229 8ks as needing to be built. So you lost production somehow?

EDIT: Forgot the 8 on the to be confirmed tab. 1237 not 1229

Seriously? - you are busting me up because I said 1238 instead of 1237…

6 Likes

Sometimes saying less is better when you have nothing good to say or nothing to say.
Either way, Backers would have been upset with a delay and Pre orderers who had paid would be upset with a delay too. Instead they opted to ship early and deliver the produced 5k headsets to backers first, and pre orderers in the last shipment and likely they will do the same with the 8k backers and preorders, so that everyone got what they paid for, from what Pimax had already produced (5k+), ASAP without delay.

Preorders being received just before the last backers is not even that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, the backer headsets of the 5k+ which were produced were sent out before the last preorders of the 5k+ had been sent out or even begun getting received. The 5k+ preorders technically were sent out last and in the same shipment as the last 5k+ Backers headsets, and Pimax has stated priority and order of delivery is out of their control once shipments enters into the responsibility of freight forwarders, this just sounds like entitled whinging to me.

Why fault pimax for finding the middle ground to address these delays in light of having a shortage of high enough quality parts and for trying to get their product to everyone who bought it as soon as possible? Delaying shipping was not the best solution.

1 Like

No i’m busting you saying that their was only 1238 left before CNY. Your own numbers from 1/29 indicate only 1 was made in two weeks before CNY.

Saying nothing is worse than saying something. Telling backers when the problem arises would have solved alot of frustration on our end. You seem to not be understanding my point with preorder shipments so we will agree to disagree.

Yeah nah I have to disagree with you there, Pimax had already delayed things enough (more than a year), missed several deadlines already and didn’t want to provide another dissapointing delay, so they made an internal decision to expedite the shipping process of their first completed product so everyone would get it sooner. Boo hoo them they’re so evil and selfish!

They did the best thing they could and found the middle ground to make both parties happy (both backers and preorderers) in light of the circumstances, having no good news and the unavailability of screens which were of a high enough quality to pass their QA tests.

Have a whinge, you’re sounding like an entitled child about this.

1 Like

Not a great situation, but completely understandable.

2 Likes

Ok then i will try one last time. I’m not mad preorders got theirs before backers. I’m mad because I wasn’t told why my 8k was being delayed until after preorders days before preorders got theirs It’s not how things have happened it about how they should have handled it.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I concluded as well.

Maybe because Pimax only found out about the delay after having received a shipment of inadequate screens before the 29th Jan (Remembering it was planned all 8ks were to be shipped by the 29th of Jan) And they spent several weeks deliberating on the best course of action and organising screens of a suitable quality before making another announcement about the 8k on the 16th Feb? Sounds about right.

1 Like

And they should have told us about the bad batch when it became known not weeks later.

So you’re saying they should have told you before they knew about it, or before they deliberated on the best course of action or what community response they should take? (Which was to expedite shipping of the 5k+ and to offer Backers the opportunity to swap).

They may not have even known until late January.

They did let you know there was a delay and that you could swap your 8k, even for a loaner 5k unit, until your 8k was ready. How nice of them was that?? And you, the backers and preorders got their 5k+s without delay.

Here’s evidence they did in fact give a shipping date for all 8ks by the 29th Jan.

Not to mention the email you surely got informing you about the delay with the 8k in January, offering a swap and a loaner unit before preorders even begun shipping?

2 Likes

Are you implying that the moment they discovered there was an issue with the headsets they should have made an announcement without fully investigating the issue, assessing the options, and determining a response? Or that they could take those steps in a day or two?

2 Likes

Yes they should tell us they have found issues and are currently investigating them keep it simple and nondescript and say they will update us with more info later. I am aware of the 1/29 ship date. And no I didn’t get that email about loaner units. Care to post it?

Read the thread which I cited in my above post of which the screenshot is quoted from to see the email I’m referring to offering backers to swap their backed 8k pledges for a loaner 5k+ unit whilst waiting for the 8k to finish production, or a $100 voucher and a 5k+ in exchange for the 8k pledge, an email survey sent out before the end of January and before preorders even started shipping.

No, they shouldn’t make rash announcements. All things and decisions in relation to community announcements go through an internal process of review and deliberation before any decision is made or even publicly announced in any company.

1 Like

On one side there are probably overly critical voices, on the other side are probably overly forgiving voices.

Just admit you won’t change each other’s minds.

This debate isn’t really productive.

1 Like

I agree that would have been preferable, but I can understand the need to ensure that there actually was an issue before announcing it in the hope that perhaps the issue isn’t as pervasive as it was. I have no idea the testing that goes into making such a determination though. I suspect that they actually assembled all the units and tested each one individually before reaching a conclusion and that consensus had to occur to craft a response.

1 Like

The thread you linked only talks about switching not loaners.

And that should take more than two days? They theoretically are producing 100 a day if 50 show up with issues on day one spend day two looking at the issue and boom on day three announce the issue.

I really have no concept of how long it should take. I’m not an authority on that subject.

I do know this issue didn’t occur in a vacuum and that a very small team has to juggle a vast array of issues simultaneously.

1 Like