r/ValveIndex: "I see black dots" - Deja-vu anyone?

Is it really what you see? Because these dots are pretty regular on my 5k+ and this image is not.

It’s not my drawing :wink: I guess he/she was just too lazy to do it right… :wink:

1 Like

This is why I still freaking love the OD+. Besides that it’s no FOV-Hero (Pimax is the only one anyway) and for Kindle-Fans :wink:
it’s the VERY best bang for the buck. And combining it with LH + wands (I still have my old vive and Pimax) makes it a great headset. Still can’t believe my luck on the black friday deal + a very reasonable forwarder.

I’ll sit those other HMDs out. I’m already starting to worry being forced to buy a future Pimax in order to make use of the sadly very late accessories. What will the eye tracker, hand tracking ect. good for if my 8k gonna be old news by the time they arrive? Sure I can use the new LHs and controllers for any of valves ecosystem but that’s about it.It’s a bit like buying a car without wheels and by the time you get the wheels in order to drive the company have 2 new cars and your old one is worth half. If I had no Vive before to use it at least somehow, I could not stop crying about that fact.

Seeing that other companies make similar mistakes does not change that or makes it less bad.

2 Likes

That’s not even a given since Valve would need to support the controllers natively when not using a Pimax headset (and PiTool), I guess… :wink:

1 Like

Keep in mind like Doom 3 really until we have real gpu power needed to drive it. It won’t be really old news for sometime. But agreed it’s drifting from the headline limelight delays.

1 Like

let’s say unlucky comparison. Doom 3 would be a game (among many others) for a couple of bucks.
And there will always games that we long for not just one. Unlike the hardware we were all happy to get back in KS days for quite a penny (seemed like a bargain). Waiting that long is one thing (I get that, and I didn’t mind too much), but actually using it only to a fragment of its very advertised capabilities is probably even worse.

And on top, the fact that there will be (rather sooner than later) refined models that (and I bet my butt on it) are not only enthusiast models like the new 8kx, which will turn out to be the standard top model Back then it seemed like a very niche product only for a couple of crazy people. I think it’s gonna be the model that the 8k actually should have been. So in order to use our eye tracker etc. will need to jump on whatever Pimax is offering in 2020. They even did not reveal if backers will get the optimized mask?

I think that I always was reasonable but slowly I don’t see it as a bargain anymore. I bought the package which was the whole deal. I also bought a Vive cuz I somehow felt that everything is gonna take longer than expected. Waiting for the rest of the accessories is also going to impact the money that Ill get for my vive. But that is uniquely my problem…
Sorry to blow off some steam, hope you don’t mind.

2 Likes

The 8k would have been the 8kX if the hardware componets & gpus supported it. The upscaled 8k came as a result of what was available. With the 8kX coming as a limited project.

If the ks had started a year from when it did. There would be no 8kX. Yes agreed it’s been a long road but we to date know only pimax for the most part is the only one pushing vr truly forward. I am sure in 2020 2021 we will see new models with 120hz on pcix5 with dp 1.5 or some crazy wireless solution with LHes going back to guiding ships.

Doom3 was a great example due to for 10 years it was still being used for testing gpus to finally get that top performance in a game so old & ahead if it’s time.

Yes it’s unfortunate at headset release all other items are not ready. Pi DAS at release, controllers 2 to 3 months after headset etc…

Sure it’s not flattering to see giants have issues like Htc, HP & Valve. Which just demonstrates there not on a pedestal either. StarVR One even has fizzled though there seems to be a possibility of flicker.

The next 2 years for pc hardware & vr is going to be interesting I think with some wishing they had waited longer.

If we all had hindsight we would have all dove & fought to be of the 400 8kX backers. To bad hind is usually 20/20.

2 Likes