Question for those who have received the 8k

Are any of you, that have already received your 8k, able to confirm the phenomenon that @mixedrealityTV spoke about? - Namely, when you move your head to the left and right, for example, does the VR scene move slightly to the left or right, instead of remaining static in space?

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone mention it, since MRTV did, but his explanation for it being related to the 80FPS would imply that every unit should see the same thing.

For me, while I’ve pretty much settled on the 5k+ already, confirmation of that movement within the 8k would rule that HMD out completely.

2 Likes

I’m in Payday 2 at the moment, and it’s not doing that at all, although I have no idea what the FPS is.

Oh and, Payday 2 is FRACKING AWESOME!!!

I’ll see if I can get the FPS… some program or whatever.

8 Likes

Thanks!

Yeah, I roll in Payday 2 as well … Fun game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just tried it in Wide FoV mode (I usually have it in Normal), and again it’s fine.

I’ll try ED. And see if I can find out how to get the frame rate. I have seen it mentioned here, but I forget what the was called… VRfps,fpsVR???

4 Likes

I bought ‚fpsVR‘ on Steam. It’s the app VoodooDE and SweViver are using. It’s about 3 Euro.

2 Likes

I have so far not seen that phenomenon :grinning: Still looking for it…

7 Likes

I haven’t noticed it myself but have only been experimenting with Normal FoV & Small in titles that crash.

4 Likes

FpsVR is good & cheap.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I don’t want to spoil any ones experience, but if you 8k owners can try and find it, that would be a super helpful and decisive piece of info for the rest of us. I’d love to think MRTV just got a faulty unit (well, I don’t want him to have a faulty unit, but i’d rather this issue be a faulty unit… you know what I mean)

1 Like

Several testers experienced the issue. Supposedly it has gotten a lot better though to the point that it might not be so easy to spot anymore. But the way I understood it is that you should look at a steady object, keep looking at that object and move your head quickly to left and right. On the pimax 8k, supposedly, the object will move (slightly) while doing that. But again, that’s just how I understood it from the testers who saw it. To me it sounded like a latency issue. Maybe it’s not apparent on higher end cards and that’s why @sweviver didnt see it? Not sure, just guessing here.

1 Like

Not sure how this one works but there is also one called Ocat that @mazi posted. Added it to free content.

http://community.openmr.ai/t/free-content-directory/9153/3?u=heliosurge

2 Likes

I have now tried it on Payday 2, Elite Dangerous, and Subnautica, and have not experienced that issue.

I cannot get the FPS above 70, though. In game seems fine by me, so I will leave that alone :slight_smile:

Here are the screen shots of FpsVR in those games:

6 Likes

Hey. I left Steamvr Video on Auto. It targets GPU at 16% but shows 8% & left Ap at 100%. Your fps will go up a bit. If you need more ss use the steam per ap setting to increase.

5 Likes

At the moment I still use a DK2 and it’s 75Hz. For me, my personal impression, it looks really fluid… perhaps because I haven’t experienced 90Hz, might be, but I drive Raceroom with it for over 300 hours now and do races for 3 or 4 hours without any problem. Since I have fpsVR I see that sometimes the FPS drop to 60 and even with that I can do (and enjoy) great racing without any sickness.
Perhaps it’s another story with a wide FOV headset or I’m not so sensitive, but this is what I can say about using the DK2…

2 Likes

Well, that made one hell of a difference (I had SteamVR Video on Manual):

Tried to produce that visual error, but everything looked as it should in those games.

2 Likes

Awesome! Not used to playing with those settings either. Was initially on Manual overide as well buffing it up to much.

2 Likes

Another question, please;

If you own a Rift, or use one regularly, can you compare the brightness of the Rift and a Pimax?

Thanks if you can help. The Rift is a really good comparison, as it’s a lot closer in lux to a Pimax than a Vive is.

1 Like

I have the same question. Because all people compare Vive and Pimax brightness… but we all know that Oculus has less brightness.

2 Likes

Haha, I was just editing my post to say the same thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are having a problem with things “moving” on your peripheral vision when moving your head in the headset, please also say if you are wearing glasses or not. If you are wearing glasses your corrective lenses will alter where objects appear and even create chromatic aberrations. It is the main reason I had corrective eye surgery when I could no longer tolerate contact lenses. I used to get a feeling of vertigo when I did activities with a lot of head movent (e.g. mountain biking). The farther an object is to the side of your glasses the greater the distortion. Using a wide FOV HMD would make this more noticable compared to 1st Gen VR.

Sometimes I wonder how much VR sickness is actually being caused by those wearing glasses who are not acclimated to the type of frequent head movent associated with VR gaming.

1 Like