Pros & Cons Watercooling Dilema

I’m not looking to trash your theories friend, if thats what you mean?
I’ve never actually compared the results between air/water, but I have had good results with water and my belief is that it’s more efficient as a cooling solution. @Heliosurge yeah, theres a reason cars or almost any gasoline/diesel/gas engine uses watercooling instead of air (save lawn mowers, chainsaws etc and that’s due to cost, weight…)

1 Like

I mean the heat radiating elements should be the same size to get a fair comparison , but then it’d be just which transfers the heat better to the rad, heatpipes or water.
By the way, I count the slowly risen, slowly falling temperature, or sustained temp as you say, a good thing, I don’t think its a good thing to the pcb for temps constantly going up/down/up/down very rapidly and often.

Adding a Cooling block on your outlet using a tec would help improve cooling profile.

But if you want killer OCing phase change with the correct safeties in place is best.

Or airconditioned room. :wink:

Sorry if I was a bit unclear. The specifics of your setup/etc can change how well your cooling will work and I was wishing you good luck :grinning:

Hopefully you don’t have to deal with any leaks :crossed_fingers:

EDIT:

I agree that it should help reduce thermal shock.

2 Likes

Honestly I’ve been planning to locate the radiators outside, -30c in the winter would help me to OC perhaps a 100mhz more :wink:
Then again, why waste the perfectly good thermal energy :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah it depends on the case (eeeheh)
Leaks? No, the fittings used are very secure, newer had a leak so far :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Honestly, using a GPU as a space heater is one of its defining features! :grin: I can’t take advantage of that as much in Florida because the relatively high temperatures. :sweat:

An excerpt from the wikipedia article on Snow in Florida.

It is very rare for snow to fall in the U.S. state of Florida, especially in the central and southern portions of the state. With the exception of the far northern areas of the state and the Jacksonville area, most of the major cities in Florida have never recorded measurable snowfall, only trace (T) amounts have been recorded, or flurries observed in the air a few times each century.

In the words of a Florida native “Yes, it can snow in Florida. It just melts when it lands.”

2 Likes

I have seen a Nebraska augmented winter cooler. Lol.

Keep in mind a powered cooler for your car with a wall plug might work.

Just be careful of condensation.

1 Like

As long as the additive makes the water non conductive not as much worry.

Mineral oil aquarium PCs work well. TH years ago did a setup with 12L of cooking oil. These setups ensure that the pcbs stay cool. Lol

1 Like

But at what cost? :dizzy_face:

Linus Tech Tips for example:
Mineral Oil Submerged PC Build Log Part 1 - Puget Systems Kit Case Assembly
Mineral Oil Submerged PC Build Log Part 2 - Assembling the Components
Mineral Oil Submerged PC Build Log Part 3 - Pouring the Oil

2 Likes

You need to be mindful of the dewpoint whenever you do any sub-ambient cooling. As a general rule, greater differences in temperature and higher humidity will raise the dewpoint. As long as you stay above the dewpoint you will be fine.

When your temps are going low enough (subzero) you also have to start considering possible freezing. If your system isn’t producing the necessary heat to warm your water (ie it is turned off), then the water will freeze in your line and cause all sorts of problems.

I wouldn’t suggest outdoor cooling in subzero temperatures except in the case where the system will be under load at all times (ie a crypto mining farm).

2 Likes

Linus isn’t known for economics lol.

Take the pc components & well $30 for motherboard tray.

$20 to $30 for used aquarium & well however much for 20 to 30l of mineral/baby oil. :wink:

Yes your coolant definitely needs to prevent freezing. A fellow I knew discovered what the difference was between Hyspin oil & Transmission fluid. Essentially the same stuff except the Transmission fluid had red colorant & additives to prevent freezing.

Gum eraser though from art store (can shape like plato) i did see used in a nitrogen cooled pc around the cpu socket to prevent moiture.