Poll: Plastic aspheric lenses for the 8KX (or 8KX 2020 Special Edition); and 5K/8K RE with 8KX lenses and 1080p input for better upscaling

He likely did (and Carmack proposed interlaced rendering, which may work fine if we move the motion compensation layer to the headset). This is metamaterial territory, a quite interesting ongoing research topic. Flat lens - Wikipedia (There’s a large difference between classical prime lenses, frequently known as pancakes in photography, and flat lenses; I expect he was talking about the latter.)
Actual working results seem to date back as far as 2012, but I don’t know of any in mass production, nor the limits in e.g. size and refraction. It’s a future step for sure, but so is light field displays which may not even need lensing.

1 Like

I followed up on a thread on Carmack’s twitter about interlacing, and Tom Forsyth mentioned that they tried it, but artifacts from head movement were too much.

I almost wish we had FED or SED technology, as that (micro electron emitters) have almost no display lag, and would not even be fixed pixel displays.

The fact that you would have a device under a vacuum strapped to your face is secondary lol

1 Like

Do you have a reference?

1 Like

Why not add the update an option? I don’t want to wait another year until Pimax develops new lenses, can you imagine what will happen if after one year the new lenses are no better than the current ones? Pimax should start thinking about modularity or upgrade programs.

1 Like

StarVR uses 2 displays but uses Quadport rendering using custom fresnel hybrid optics similar to pimax.

Quadport rendering allows better control over rendering with distortion. As each region can have a more refined distortion to lens region.

Multiport rendering is not new save it’s use for VR.

Atm Panasonic has a 220 horizontal headset prototype using fused optics & 4 displays. But targeted if released only to corperste use.

1 Like

He did use the term pancake lenses, but illustration made it clear he referred to polarization based lenses, during an OC5 keynote (timestamped to that subject). Upload VR suggested wave guide displays as an alternative. There’s an Edmund Optics brochure titled “polarization directed flat lens overview” which quite likely describes the particular technology Abrash meant.

Incidentally, no, I did not have a reference. This is what I found in a few minutes. Thanks for pushing me.

Also, multiport rendering isn’t new to VR. It’s just the new generation of VR produced tons of startup experimenters who didn’t read up on the 30 or so years of research on the subject; a typical CAVE, for instance, uses 10 or 12 rendered views.

3 Likes

Great, thanks for the links. I must have seen some “abbreviated” note myself, as I do not recall at all this footage :thinking:.

2 Likes