Point-by-Point Demo of (not-final) Pimax Vision 8kX: Summary and Upcoming Video

YouTube is supposed to be processing now.

9 Likes

Do you have a link? 20 chars

2 Likes

Not yet. First upload stuck at 0% processing. I am uploading again in case that might fix it.

… yells at cloud…

4 Likes

Nah it doesn’t always show processing correctly but is working well in the background. You just manually added extra time my friend :ghost:

1 Like

Indeed, the original upload finished processing, so the second was cancelled.

I am reviewing the video as posted, putting any minor errata in the description text.

Stay tuned everyone.
Release in 1.5hr.

3 Likes

You know how to create suspense! I might be able to just hold off falling asleep for another 1.5hrs but not much more!!

Edit: the ‘you know how to create suspense’ was a joke by the way - really appreciate all the work.

3 Likes

Jup, gonna call it a night here too but am very excited to see your hard work tomorrow!

3 Likes

Done.

‘20 characters’

2 Likes

Where can we find it ?

1 Like

https://community.openmr.ai/t/point-by-point-demo-of-not-final-pimax-vision-8kx/26977

7 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot of information! But well structured! Only cherry picked a few sections I was particularly interested in for now, but this deserves being watched from begin-to-end in the evening.
The interesting part is that you seem to notify different kinds of distortions, but you draw different conclusions out of it than e.g. @mixedrealityTV - so it’s actually mentioned in the “the good” section. (distortion is discussed starting from 11:52). Could perhaps be related with your more intense using of Pimax HMDs?
And your focus seems to be quite different - more Virtual Desktop and sims, less roomscale, fast reaction local awareness games.
That’s exactly what I was looking for! Opinions from different, more unbiased people, seeing their observations and hearing their conclusions after elaborated testing and usage - great!
Also find it interesting that you use the 8kX as a monitor replacement now - wouldn’t have considered that with any HMD I tried, so this seems to be a new quality in regards to resolution.

As said, will definitely watch the rest in the evening. But it is obvious already that this is really good work, much appreciated!

P.S. a hint: You might want to introduce a 1$ (or pay what you want) support tear in your Patreon (with no obligations from your side). Or a tippeeestream link like Seb has, for 1-time donations - like appreciating a particular review. Think some might want to donate a little, but the current Patreon packages are quite steep if one isn’t particularly using one of your open source solutions or needs support with those (then it’s of course fully justified).

3 Likes

Have watched it end-to-end now. Found some additional interesting informations, like your spreadsheets with optimal settings for various games - nice! And the initially counter intuitive part with actually getting lower GPU usage (because supersampling has to be much higher to look even remotely comparable on the 5k+ to native res rendered images on the 8kX) was also an good to consider tidbit.
All in all a very interesting and worthwhile to watch video!
Some feedback (not bad or ugly, more neutral :stuck_out_tongue: ):

• Think it would have been better to make two videos - one preview and one “experiences with the 8kX”. While watching you flying was interesting, it didn’t add a lot to the insight (particularly as the shown material wasn’t rendered by the headset). Perhaps the actual preview could have been 40 mins or so?
  • Please match audio levels, had to adjust volume several times
  • Consider to switch off the voice assist thing when recording videos (particularly as the constant beeps were a lot louder than your voice which was quite low volume in that section)

But all in all - great work, thanks a lot for all the insights!

5 Likes

i hope that wasnt the mic from the pimax 8kx headset… the volume was already on the pimax5k far to low…I told them many times they need a mic boost option in pitools…

New commenters, please use the other thread!

@NoamLoop
Thanks for the feedback!

• When I am not trying to create a definitive guide to an entire headset, my videos will be shorter.
  • Indeed, I am aware the audio volume changes are a problem. OS audio settings tend to change.
  • Unfortunately, the beeps are essential to tell me things are actually working. They are louder and different when the recorder is active, because I lost a number of good recordings without them.

As for Patreon, if there is demand, I will think about it. But what I really want to happen is for people to subscribe to get semi-paid support.

@john2910
It has nothing to do with the mic, though it was the 8kX mic. Discord, VoiceAttack, and similar, work fine. It is an OBS audio settings problem. One of many now.

3 Likes

Try to do some online gaming with voice chat,everybody will tell the volume is too low…there isnt a mic boost slider in windows 10 any more(most of them)… So pitools needs a boost slider for the mic

@NoamLoop
Also, my relative inability to see distortion is indeed very likely due to the way I use these headsets. See those diagrams for the extendedInterface control scheme at the end of the video?

@john2910
I have. Mic volume not a problem. Noise picked up from the VR workstation case fans can be a problem though.

1 Like

You mean the screen against the star background at around 1h? Ok, the edges don’t contain content (but black) in that scenario, makes sense.

P.S.: For audio postprocessing (like leveling etc.) I can recommend Cakewalk by Bandlab. It’s free (essentially Sonar, which costed several $$$ a year or so ago)

No. Further at the end. I implemented a lot of the controls for those aircraft working full time within the headset. So it was a case of hoping into VR flight sim, intensely reading text on a panel VM seen within OVRDrop, returning back to flight sim, etc.

It was a relatively rough mix of VR and desktop within VR.

And of course this contributed a bit to the readability analysis, as I was able to show problems with the A10C and AV8B . A little retexturing in just a couple places in all of DCS World would make every last item in VR absolutely readable without leaning in or zoom (although this would need to be toggleable for realism).

Ok, so you moved everything that matters more to the center? (Screens at 1:36?)

No. That is WorkInVR, which I launch by voice command only when I need to see my entire desktop, usually because MSW put a window on a screen I can’t see (no smart window placement).

1:56:12

It may not seem like much, but Joystick Gremlin is not exactly a slick interface, so implementing and testing controls for all those aircraft took some time in VR.

1 Like