Psvr headstrap with pimax

So ive got the vive das but i wanted to see if i could use the psvr headstrap on the pimax as another option.
2 main reasons.
I want to use my own headphones.
I wanted to see if i could get more adjustability from it.
I bought an extra broken psvr on ebay for £20.
Ive spent the last 2 evenings trying to figure out a good way to do this.
I wanted to keep the use of the sliding mechanism from the psvr & have as much adjustability as i could get on the other axis.
Here is what i have come up with
EDIT FOR NEW DESIGN

I used dr cubes pegged top clip from thingiverse & modified it quite a bit.
It now has a strong hinge & plate to attach the psvr sliding mechanism to & i have managed to incorporate the locking lever for the sliding mechanism.
It has at least some adjustability on all axis through moving the whole headstrap up & down, sliding the mechanism back & forth & tilting the hinge back & forwards.
Its not perfect & the strap rides a bit higher on the forehead than with the psvr but its nice to be able to tweak for clarity a bit more easily while playing a game & release some pressure on face when needed.
At the moment its a bit rough & ready & still a work in progress but its functioning ok.
All ive used so far is the psvr headstrap, 4 screws from the headstrap, 1 long m5 bolt with nut & washers, the sliding mechanism locking lever from the psvr & a piece of a biro pen spring.
The only tools i have used so far were a very small screwdriver, a drill for the small screw holes & to bore out the hinge a bit nicer, a pair of cutters to cut the spring & my 3d printer of course.
Ive only used this for a couple hours so far so i will have a bit more of a test for problems & tweak it a bit more if needed, before i upload the hinge design but it could be useful for anyone without a vive das who may have a broken psvr lying around.
EDIT. Currently at a resting point im happy with, so here is the link to the files

21 Likes

That’s awesome ingenuity! :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

You are legend! :grinning:

2 Likes

This is great stuff.

2 Likes

I have come to a resting point which i am happy enough with to publish the files.
May need further tweaks though

3 Likes

Ugh !

“I don´t need a 3D printer, I DON´T NEED ONE”

feelings of self indulgence continuing to pile up

Amazing mod !

1 Like

Thanks. Lol. Sometimes i dont use my printer for months & my mrs buggs me to move or get rid of it.
I wouldn’t be without it for things like this though

1 Like

Well done @Virtualmisterl :beers:

2 Likes

Just have to print her some nice trinkets. :beers::smirk::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

this is the way that pimax need to make our audiostrap pledge…Same construction but with good headphones

2 Likes

Agreed. The adjustability is needed.
Ive always thought that the psvr headstrap was one of the best.
Although i have only spent a few hours using this so far, i think i like it better than the das.
I do like the convenience of built in headphones & i miss them but if im sitting down for a few hours to play a game (elite dangerous or fallout for example) then using my astro a40’s is much better

4 Likes

So i need to get all those things or just print the thing on thingaverse?

1 Like

You will need a broken psvr to get the strap off of.
A 50mm m5 bolt with washers & split washers.
A small spring. I cut a piece of a biro pen spring off.
Tools for the job ie… very small screwdriver, 0.9 - 1mm drill bit, 5mm drill bit (optional)
You have a 3d printer?
Just print the 4 pieces out in strong plastic ie… abs or petg preferably.
I don’t know if pla will be strong enough

4 Likes

Kudos for the cool mod :+1:
For the people who can’t get their hands on a PSVR or a smiliar strap here’s a DIY example.
https://forums.highfidelity.com/t/vive-diy-replacement-head-strap-v2/12404

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.