PiTool Still Breaking WiFi

Yes Win95 sucked aka Windows v4.0 autoloading on MSDOS 7. It sucked rocks and still beat OS/2 Warp/Merlin.

The point was simple to run games it rebooted into DOS and autoloaded the Game without unneeded bloat. Maybe you need to refresh on history.

Which Gave Birth to Windows XP based on Windows NT and still largely sucked and MS ignored warnings that gave rise to worms.

Look forward to you doing so as otherwise it is just Talk that leads to nowhere for now. You might be interested in linux projects that are designing a VR Desktop.

Admittedly, there is always that problem. But I have a very large technology base that is beginning to converge.

Moreover, I think my track record shows - VR is very near to my heart.

1 Like

Ok cool, I could do with some explanation of what GL-AR150 routers are. I see on google some small white routers with really simple hardware configurations, is that what you are talking about? Is GL-AR150 from a specific brand?

Indeed wired is the old way. We all know Wireless is the future. Phone Landline vs Cell Phone or Sat Phone. A large majority have retired the Landline.

:point_up_2:

:beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Yes, those are them! USB powered, cheap, OpenWRT, and can be configured to use the WiFi as a client, giving you a dedicated ā€˜brickā€™ that does exactly what the MSW WiFi panel does. Just add duct tape (or equivalent) to the sides to stick it to your PC case. Much better.

https://store.gl-inet.com/collections/all-wifi-devices/products/gl-ar150-mini-smart-router

Get the external antenna, itā€™s not necessary, but for $2, well worth it for significantly better range/performance. You can just unscrew it anytime and the internal antenna will take over.

2 Likes

so does the brick itself connect to the wifi, and then you connect the brick to your PC with LAN?

1 Like

Yes, exactly that. You just go to the web UI built into the router, and itā€™s pretty intuitive from there, at least if you upload OpenWRT firmware (which is super easy to do from the web UI).

Same company also makes faster (though more expensive) routers.

1 Like

Agreed passions run strong where there is interest and care.

While fir example SteamVR may create barriers like majority of closed platforms it is at leasr somewhat open.

VRgineers started with there first 2 headsets with 0 Steam Support (HeroVR and Hero2 VR). With Xtal line they had to add Steam support just to have more adoption. StarVR also followed suit with the StarVR One.

Only once we can get true Opensource support on software and hardware can we truly have real free quick advances in software. And contrary to belief with proper licencing there is money to be made.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Programming Discussion Related

Got it, just ordered from Amazon with the antenna, hopefully it comes before Christmas! The low end product def works for me as my apartments wifi could never hope to break more than 100 megabits. As long as this eliminates the connection issues I will be happy, anyone that can afford a Pimax can afford this little thing lol.

2 Likes

Creators are often happy with what they make(and often at times only makes sense to them :laughing:). Hopefully OpenXR can help breath life into something new and elegant. On the plus it should help by itā€™s goal make things easier on Developers as they said not to have to learn each platform for the primary things. However it will take time to see if they can truly accomplish that goal.

We have seen other projects with similar ideals have mixed results. Java comes to mind; itā€™s original idea to create a universal scripting programming language to run on all platforms that simply supported Java.

Hopefully OpenXR truly succeeds in there goals.

If it doesnā€™t, I will track down an Intel Ethernet NIC for you that willā€¦ though 99.99% of the time Motherboad Ethernet these days does the trick well enough even for PFSense routersā€¦

With VR, lack of testing is less of a problem than bad architecture. Ever notice how the menus in Elite Dangerous are very glitchy, and seem to get worse between releases? If you think about the logic, it is directly traceable to the menu system being written in the game engine itself - with the state of menu related variables being tracked as 3D object states - rather than the menu system being a separate, simple, function that drives the objects in a buffer. I have no doubt Elite Dangerous netcode works the same way, and is absolutely horrible for the same reasons.

Unity game engine, and probably Unreal as well, CryEngine to a lesser extent, are encouraging these bad habits of programming.

Elite Dangerous is even less excusable though, because FDev built their own engine, and still came up with this stupidity. They clearly had no clue what they were getting into, and/or were extremely lazy. I donā€™t allege such things lightly either.

I am literally working on and testing a solution to this specific sort of object management problem right now.

1 Like

My understanding of this issue is that if your USB Wifi dongle is used, PiTool introduces lag spikes. Now, I wonder:

• Is your WiFi connection affected by PiTool in any way?
  • Did you try any other WiFi adapter? (Edit: I see you ordered a new unit).
  • What happens when you use LAN port and do not use the WiFi dongle? No more lag spikes?

The only thing I can think of is a potential USB conflict, especially if the motherboard shares several USB ports for each USB controller. Let me test a Wifi dongle I have here somewhere at home. We need to reproduce the issue somehow to be able to backtrack it, I guess.

3 Likes

I also have this problem with a PCI Wifi card, see the other thread about the topic: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-killing-wifi-every-6-or-7-seconds/21623/25?u=noamloop
And itā€™s only if PiTool is open, ā€œjustā€ the drivers and 8kX+SteamVR etc. running is no problem. This imho is a strong indication that whatever PiTool does there should be avoidable.

1 Like

Let me report this to the team, thanks!

5 Likes

Years ago me and another guy investigated this and discovered that when PiTool was open there was data traffic over the network but the traffic stopped when PiTool was closed.

2 Likes

I think is ā€œRuntime brokerā€

One thing you may not be thinking of here - motherboard northbridge/southbridge chipsets AFAIK have complex HDL logic in them these days, equivalent to protocol stuff one might otherwise expect to be done in software, even to the point of TCP offloading.

Cache management, timing, bus collisions, bus errors, these things are all too frequently observed in consumer hardware when server monitoring tools are used. At the end of the day, consumer PCs were not made to work in real-time, and much less so under the full load VR imposes.

PiTool could well be doing something like high-bandwidth DMA transfers, USB device resets, or even just running TCP streams, that causes something in the stack to glitch for a few milliseconds.

Just be wary you could be wading into very deep waters here, and PiTool already has more performance issues.

Here are my experiences with Wifi & Pimax. Curerently using non-USB antenae & 5Ghz (with Wifi repeater to get signal strong enough), in past with 2.4Ghz it was the same. Currently with 8kX, before it was 5k+.

It works mostly Ok even with Pitool & HMD & base stations (& gamepad). However the moment Valve index controller is turned on (even one), the speed goes completely down from ~20Mbps to ~1Mbps. When controllers are turned off it goes back to normal. So in my case having controllers on renders the Wifi unusable.

Not sure what causes this.

2 Likes