PiTool 2020.3.24 - HLA ready

By the way: I saw somebody write that there IS in fact a startup option that lets you to disable the dynamic quality scaling in Alyx, and SteamVR Home:

-console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0

I am assuming the first two arguments, that by the sound of them disable the console, are not necessary, but kept them just in case. :stuck_out_tongue:
Seems to work, judging by a quick testā€¦

There is also:

+hlvr_continuous_normal_speed 150, +hlvr_continuous_combat_speed 150

ā€¦or more, to make Alyx move around more like the 19-year-old she is, instead of a rheumatic pensionerā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

@SweViver

16 Likes

This is awesome. Had been looking for a solution to dynamic quality scaling. Thanks.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a new Pitool with a GpuCatalyst.

I installed it, and disaster, an image like a CV1 ā€¦

I go back to the previous one, same thing! I go back even further and same horrible result.

I have beautiful to chip, to deregulate, to go back, 90 Hz, 75 Hz, 120 Hz etcā€¦nothing to make, always this undrinkable soup in the eyes.

Whereas since I have the Pimax, each new Pitool or Nvidia driver improved the visual result, to the point that I thought I had an in game image at 85% of a screen.

Iā€™m confused.

1 Like

It sounds like it might be a problem with the headset firmware, not PiTool. You might need to manually update the firmware to match the previous (working) PiTool. I think the firmware is only updated if itā€™s newer. Thereā€™s a firmware update tool (which Iā€™ve never used).

Hereā€™s a list of PiTool and firmware versions. Thereā€™s a link at the bottom of the post for the firmware ā€œflasherā€ (update) tool.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-firmware-links/26733?u=neal_white_iii

3 Likes

Just did some testing with this pitool against PiToolSetup_1.0.1.245_R255_Beta and have found that this pitool is 5fps faster. I was using steamvr stable as with the beta I would lose steam console and get the flickering bug.

The GPU catalyst does not seem to offer anything useful. Max I would do is 4.00 which does give you increased GPU usage and added frames. Problem is you get spikes more often.

1080ti gpu
Fruit ninja 6300x6300
8700 cpu

5 Likes

i have firmware 255 and pitool 253, shoud i upgrade ? is it better fps etc?

1 Like

Welcome to the Open[color=orange]MR[/color]!

Can you post your system specs?

i7800k 2080ti 16 gb 3600mhz 1tb ssd nve

If you do not have visual judder or stutter with pitool 253 I wouldnā€™t upgrade. I had horrible stuttering with that version to the point that it was unplayable, and they have changed how the new versions work to improve frame timing and avoid that judder. However, people are reporting a large drop in FPS due to this technique.

It doesnā€™t add any ā€˜need to haveā€™ features, though the new beta firmware does at 144Hz for pitool 258 and this version.

3 Likes

I just tested 253 pitool against this version using fruit ninja. 6000x6000 roughly screen resolution. I get 65fps with this new version. With 253 I get 72fps, saying that I had the hmd at 72hz. So I increased the resolution to 6300x6300 roughly which brought me back down to 65fps. Also I did notice more spikes with the latest version. So I would stick with 253 pitool

Edit - Just tested 258 pitool. Same results as this versionā€¦ 253 definitely the fastest for me

okey thanx for reply. i stick with 253.

Hi everyone, why GPU usage is only around 70%, is there a way to change that? ā€¦with ā€œgpu catalyst @ 1-10ā€ i only get horrible stutters ā€¦but around 100 FPS :smiley: instead of 50-60. I dont think that CPU is the bottleneck.
BR Henry

1 Like

I have no idea what the GPU Catalyst if for because any time Iā€™ve tried it it just getā€™s stuttery and doesnā€™t increase the GPU usage much at all.

It would be really nice to have that.

I have tried with Pimax 5k+ and it is fantastic. What amazing graphics!! I can not compare the performance with other pitool versions because I didnā€™t play before Halflife. Really smooth and exciting. Iā€™m not happy with the xplane vulkan version for VR. I thought it would have better performance (I have to lower ā€œobjects in worldā€ severals marks and it is not nice). In my monitor goes perfect with all nearly max out.
I hope dx12 prepar3d does it better. Itā€™s coming in 2 days.
EDITED: in DCS I think I have worse performance than older pitool versions. Besides, FFR is not working.

You must consider that ALYX is a from the ground up VR game (and really an example of excellent VR coding). As for the other three titlesā€¦ you can put all the lipstick on a pig you want but itā€™s still a pig.

3 Likes

Just another performance comment, specifically for Iracing. So with a bit of time on my hands, Iā€™ve gone through and done clean installs and back to back testing on the same track.

258 alyx version runs well for me catalyst at 0
But the 254alpha still seems to have the ability to use a bit more of the gpu / for some reason has slightly higher GPU utilisation.

So +1 the suggestion to try and bug fix 254, goes great with iracing
2080s
i7-9700K 32gb ram
8k+

1 Like

just a couple of snapshots note the peak values
iracing same session, same car approx same amount of racers in-session

258 alyx 76% D3D usage

254 alpha 85% D3D usage

for some reason it just seems to work the card harder?
its def smoother in the online session, the updates are faster s and the car feels more lively.

1 Like

My controllers are arriving this week, excited :slight_smile:
Do I absolutely need this driver for Alyx, or .253 will work fine? .253 is way faster in racing games than .258 (and thatā€™s my primary use), so I am hoping I can stay on older version for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

You donā€™t need this version for Alyx. Idk if it fixes it, but there are weird issues with audio pacing and ā€˜slo moā€™ with pimax. My oculus quest does not have these issues. Youā€™ll see it when characters talk in longer sequences. Still - it did not ruin anything for me, best game Iā€™ve ever played. Beat it on 255.

2 Likes