Pitool 1.0.1.121 Beta Test Release for Brainwarp 1.0

“maybe” on which thing do you refer?

3 Likes

@Century’s question above.

I don’t remember what the context was, but I think I’ve read somewhere that You were looking into FFR for the 10-series Nvidia cards too, but I might be wrong of course :wink: I read or at least skim through all posts on this forum, so sometimes stuff gets mixed up :slight_smile:

EDIT: Come to think about it, I might also have heard it in one of Your interviews with MRTV or VR Roundtable? I believe You mentioned You have a 1080Ti Yourself?

2 Likes

As soon as each option becomes available in the baseline driver (from Nvidia and AMD) we look into exposing those capabilities in PiTool. Sometimes the degree of effort to expose a feature is quite high so they can take time. Sometimes we wind up with completely custom code as well.

9 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

True about exposing features in drivers. Even with the RTX cards Fixed Foreated Rendering is a hit and miss affair as far as stability goes. More work to be done to iron out the bugs.

3 Likes

Found out where I initially got the info from:

4 Likes

There are a couple usb tools in getting started. @PimaxUSA submitted a good one that gives latencies.

1 Like

With Nvidia bringing Raytracing to 10series we should likely see other RTX features ported as well.

5 Likes

The BE model has OLED panels.

The 5k BE oled was renamed to XR.

3 Likes

Previously SteamVR would limit the resolution to around 4000 without telling you. It is a setting in the steam VR config file. There are posts on how to edit it here on the forum.

Pimax has added a file to override some of the steam VR config settings. In particular the resolution setting was overridden to around 8000.

This may be what is causing you to observe a change in behavior.

2 Likes

Ok then I understand the problem. I had played with the Old pitool and this SteamVR file. With me it is so that it still works well at 5500. Is it much further like this value then I get problems. If it was really that this file is exceeded by the new Pitool, then that is very bad. This value must necessarily be adjustable in the pitool. 8000 is way too high !!! Make games then run very bad or do not run.

1 Like

8000 (before it was 4000) is just upper limit. Resolution will be set to whatever you set in Steam. So just find value which works Ok for you, 500% is just too much.

4 Likes

@Sean.Huang. Just a comment in between. The smartsmoothing of 1.0.1.111 Beta is much better. So an combination of the great options of this version with the smartsmoothing of 111 Beta would be perfect.
But maybe it isn’t that simple :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A lot of good stuff in this release. But Smart Smoothing doesn’t work well, smeared images. I’ve disabled.

The other problem is pitool sometimes hogs a load of GPU usage even when game has been shut down. Resolved by killing process in task manager.

Another thing which would be great are game profiles. But I think that has already been mentioned.

Finally, can someone confirm for me either way that this release overrides the maximum Steam resolution for super sampling? Do I, or do I not have to, still use the Steam hack listed in another thread?

Thanks and cheers for the good work! I’m loving all the options. When you get the headset dialed in it is quite something!

1 Like

This is in 121? that would make sense since FO4 resolution in steamVR went through the roof and I had turn off 100% manual in the SteamVR video menu. it was giving me a resolution of 5778 X 4936.

Changing resolution in the SteamVR video menu to me is a must every single time SteamVR updates since the settings reset. Pretty sure there’s a way to retain your settings even after each update but haven’t bothered looking them up LOL

The upside is I always go straight to the video menu in SteamVR to check the current resolution before putting the headset on every single day as a ritual just to double check.

2 Likes

Yes, updated my 980ti fw too with that tool a few weeks ago.

1 Like

+1

For that same reason I have replaced the Pimax foam by one from the vive and it is much better (thicker at the bottom, allowing better positionning of the HMD / lenses).

1 Like

I was thinking of that but the original vive foam really gives me “vr face” even after 30 mins. :wink:

The pimax has been far less aggressive so far to wear for long periods.

I might try getting a felt strip and wrapping it round the bottom part of the pimax hmm a few times and see how that feels or look at a much thicker one from somewhere.

Ironically though… The more I play the less it bothers me anyway. Like glasses. :wink:

2 Likes