Pimax sword Controllers!

Try asking in American. :beers::smirk::+1::sparkles:

Bummer, The website also gave us the option of buying a set of one and the other, I guess they can bypass this by just selling the controllers seperately.

If your wanting to unload a set PM me

1 Like

Hey guys. I have not been given any information yet about how all of us backers will be handled, but Im sure Pimax should be able work this out in a good way, just like they did giving the choice of 5K+/8K and also sending backer units first.

On the other hand, I dont remember Pimax ever promising finger tracking during - and after - the Kickstarter campaign. That was announced long after, correct me if Im wrong. So if all backers will get Sense without a cost, then it would be a bonus for us, after all.

Regarding the grip function on the Valve Knuckles/Index controllers, I was actually not impressed. The grip worked maybe 1/2 of the time in Onward and Skyrim while I spend hours playing at Xtal.
Maybe it was a software issue but I must say a real grip button feels more reliable. Of course it would be comfortable to just use a touch sensitive grip while equipping a weapon for example, but believe me its really frustrating when it doesnt work. So personally I would prefer a grip button after all…

6 Likes

Also as I have mentioned in my live stream tonight, the Valve Knuckles has several problems, at least if u ask me. The trigger button is misplaced for my hands so im using the middle of my index finger to trigger which totally kills the sensitivity. No matter how I adjusted my palm (with the 4 settings available) the trigger button was not where I expected it to be. I hope Pimax can do it better with Sense to get a more proper grip.

The touchpad feels misplaced between the buttons and the thumbstick on the Knuckles and it happens u touch it by mistake. Im happy to see Sword Sense will have the small touchpad on the left side and not in the middle.

Apart from the grip button issue I also dont like the position of the thumbstick on Knuckles. It works ok but maybe my hands just prefers them in a different position. Its not as comfortable as on a gamepad or the Oculus Touch. I remember VoodooDE Thomas pointed that out as well and gave Pimax feedback and thanks to him they moved the thumbstick slightly (thank god).

So while Sword Sense might or might not be better than Knuckles, we should remind ourselves that the Knuckles are far from perfect…

Edit: oh! In Skyrim the Knuckles touchpad was basically useless as u could not scroll in the main menus. It just randomly fast-scrolled 4-5 levels without making any sense. Probably just a software incompatibility but still an issue to solve…

7 Likes

This is in the 4mil update for the kickstarter campaign, clearly showing cap sense on both options before the campaign was over:

Buttons do 0 or 1 with no ambiguity and i agree that it will definitely still be the best option for gaming for some time to come.

7 Likes

Wow I must have forgotten that lol, I apologise. I still remember back at VR Days during the last 2 weeks of KS campaign the only thing that was promised was those ugly wands. But u are obviously right indeed.

5 Likes

Thanks, good review on Knukcles :grinning::+1:

Honestly, I don’t even want to think about Knuckles after your review on them

I even got the idea, maybe I should still buy a standard Vive-wands without any tricks and frills, just to calmly play any games if they suddenly do not work well with Knuckles / Pimax Sword Sense.

At least, it would be better to even choose 2 different sets of Pimax controllers in this case, perhaps.

You almost completely dissuaded me from the index-controllers now. (I no longer want them with such nuances / problems :sweat_smile: ).
Now all hopes for Sword Pimax .

2 Likes

Thanks for finding the post. Hopefully pimax remembers & simply makes a non sense version of both for budget gamers & releases Sense for both Stick & pad as originally stated & planned.

If they can do that & keep Nonsense at $200 to $240 a pair they could take a chunk of sales easy.

4 Likes

Hehe thanks. Im not saying the Valve Knuckles are ‘so bad’ but they have indeed some layout/design issues or at least my hands dont like them. Nor does Thomas (VoodooDe) hands either. He is definitely not excited about the knuckles, and I somehow feel the same after that test session (which was my first ever btw)

7 Likes

Sounds like tge early review a dev gave us on EV2? Version. Lol

2 Likes

The new design with cap sense was why i added the controllers to my kickstarter pledge else i would not have added them.

4 Likes

I assume they had the latest dev version? Not 100% sure though… here is a fast screenshot from my session:

5 Likes

Would it even be possible with this type of construction to connect it with a gunstock like protube? What should the adapters look like (downwards)?

I don’t recall. The version he posted in the forum might be a version or 2 behind what you have there. Pretty sure the model was called EV2. His pics look the same as what you have there more or less by memory. He said the track pad slot wasn’t well placed (more like an after thought).

He was looking to see if he could trade his EV dev controllers for pimax prototypes (only concepts at the time).

This was arround the time Xunshu posted looking to try & procure Valve Knuckles.

1 Like

Interesting. I think i will just ask the team what version they have :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point, I think that the trackpad should stay at the outside because our thumb will track easier at that position. It shold not stay at the middle like knuckle. When I ever used the WMR, I think trackpad at outside at lower position should be better because the finger will be shorter in some direction.

images%20(4)

images%20(5)

2 Likes

I think that ought to be possible, looking at the pics of the sword controllers i can easily see slotting the bottom part of the ring and a bit of the stalk connecting the grip into a stock mount of some kind.

Here is a quick mock up of what im thinking:

Possibly even extending it up the whole connector stalk and onto the grip itself if necessary.

@Digital: having the controller strapped to my hands/finger tracking was the reason i went full pack as well.

7 Likes

About grip button (or grab), when I just try robo recall and use the vive wand, I can’t play it for a long time because I have to press the grip button all the time. Although sword has grip button, I hope that I still can hold the gun without press grip button all the time. Except it don’t need much force to press it.

1 Like

You can remap the wand buttons to toggle, that way you could click the grips to grab and then click again to release.
Its in the steamvr dashboard, settings on the lower right, controller mapping on the bottom.
Go to the grips and change them from button to toggle.

1 Like

Good solution, I will try it. Thank.

1 Like