Pimax sword Controllers!

Originally backers were divided betwee Trackpad & Stick. Pimax decided to offer both variations.

Instead of sticking with this they have crippled the features of the Track pad. This means pimax will need to mess things up again with a new survey or a truckload of Supen requiring folks to make their choice on controllers.

I myself backed 2 full sets with the understanding that both controllers would have full function. Now I will have no choice but to have 2 sets of Stick controllers.

If they wanted to offer crippled controllers that don’t have hand sensing for reshaped Vive wands with option of stick or trackpad would have been good. But not this mess.

13 Likes

I agree they didnt stick to their word.

I requested controllers with thumbstick however i like the design of the Sword Sense more than the original designs.

But backers will have a choice between Sword and Sword Sense ?

Or will Pimax cheap out and give backers the Sword Controllers ?

2 Likes

I love my Pimax HMD but - if people haven’t already ordered, I can’t think why they would choose Pimax controllers (no delivery date, no price, poor quality control, poor customer communication, poor delivery process) over Valve?

4 Likes

Backers who chose stick would definitely get Sword Sense. Those who originally chose Trackpad would get Sword; due to pimax renegging on design they would have to ask if those who order trackpad want this crippled reshaped vive wand or the Index clone.

4 Likes

I originally chose a trackpad, but then I sent a Pimax through a kickstarter that I wanted to choose a thumbstick. They confirmed it to me.

1 Like

With pimax’s unstable schedule & surprise alterations for sure. But if pimax can produce the controllers for a more reasonable price point than Valve & it holds quality. Than pimax might have good sales.

But these are big IFS at this point. The same is true if they offer sense on both styles. & release eco non sense versions for the cheap.

But as long as they have quality, logistic issues with no clear stable release dates. They may miss a bigger chance to really gain good footing.

3 Likes

Hey @Heliosurge, notice something about these swerd controllers? No indentations for the sensors like their HMDs… If they end up using the same plastic as the shells on their HMDs, then it won’t be long before they crack and fall apart. We all know how abusive we can be with our controllers.

Also, I find it interesting that Valve’s Index controllers are also smooth surfaced, no sensor indents at all. Seems like Pimax’s design sensibility rubs off on Valve.

1 Like

Truth they will have to give folks the opportunity to switch controllers & said they would. So like 5k+ vs 8k; here we go again though a choice of Sense Stick or Cripple pad. I think the choice is more clear.

A vive wand in a knuckle shell is just a no go.

6 Likes

Valve will likely maket the sensor areas pocketed so only thin area on controller will be where the sensor is.

With the appearance of the controller on pimax having the halo Cuffs hopefully pimax has learned to make the molds with only the area of the sensors thin. But who knows as I would have thought they would have kept Sense in both options as originally stated.

2 Likes

Having some experience working with manufacturers and designing hardware for their controllers, I reckon there is very little for us to worry as far as Valve is concerned.

Pimax on the other hand…

2 Likes

Well to be fair… Steamcontroller took Valve a bit to dial in the software & think Valve was involved with design of Vive Wands as LG was originally just cloning the wands.

But yeah agreed Valve at present has a stronger demoed mfg capability.

bonjour heliosurge voila ca fait un moment que j’ai pris les controlleurs avec les trackpads car je pensais que les deux systèmes aurait le principe des knuckles mais non apparemment est ce que l’on va pouvoir changer et prendre ceux avec des joysticks et aussi pas un mot sur les base stations ils ne parlent que des contrôleurs si tu peux m’éclairer merci à toi

1 Like

“Sword” is an odd name. The seem more like “Hilts” but that is also an odd name.

Two versions seem confusing to developers and consumers. Any games expecting the features of the sense will not work well with the sword.

3 Likes

yes, will be made a system of choice :grinning:

1 Like

The Sword is smaller, lighter, replaceable battery, longer battery life in most situations, more ergonomic, LH 2.0 compatible and has other improvements too. Less money as well. It also allows us to have a complete LH 2.0 package.

6 Likes

Agreed. Valve release one HMD and one set of controllers - Pimax released three HMDs and two sets of controllers. Feels like they are making it hard for themselves.

3 Likes

“Pimax Sense” sounds like an ok name for the “Sword Sense” don’t know what they would call the “Sword” in that case. “Pimax nonsense”? “No sense”?

3 Likes

Bonjour, j’ai choisi les deux Joystick & Trackpads avec la même idée que celle décrite pour avoir un sens. Pimax devra nous donner la possibilité de changer de choix car il ne correspond plus à la description. Pimax s’en est tenu jusqu’à présent en maintenant la sortie du phare en attente jusqu’à ce que les contrôleurs soient prêts. Si elles expédieront les phares sans la version Sword Sense; ça reste à voir. Comme ils l’ont dit, l’épée serait disponible en premier.

Indeed especially as one version is just a crappy vive wand now.

As for the name not very inspiring after all the possible submissions. Seems NA derived. :pensive:

7 Likes

Now how about a hand sensing version as originally promised in both versions.

6 Likes