PIMAX Roadshow Tokyo - My Impressions/Experience

Any thing you can share with us about CES? Like will there be any new stuff shown off that we haven’t seen at previous roadshows? Really looking forward to seeing more hands on impressions and thoughts, should be a wide variety of the industry there. Does the shipping date of within the few days after CES seem pretty locked down btw? If so then I’ll expect we’ll be getting the email soon for payment! I am never going to financially recover from this month lol (gas heating prices skyrocketed in EU, xmas, and crystal lol).

1 Like

We are planning a very exciting show, 50x80 Microsoft sized booth is a significant leap for us as it is by far our largest space at any event.

4 Likes

Looking forward to it!

1 Like

I recommend highly a LH version as well.

1 Like

Whew, you guys are really going all out here if that’s the case. I hope Pimax’ll be able to deliver.

Can we expect some news and looks at the 12k?

1 Like

I see, so there shouldn’t be any compatibility issue with Index Controllers via OpenVR to work with the Crystal’s tracking (Qualcomm). This then without the LH cover and base stations. Thus allowing use of an MR Cover. That’s what I take your meaning to be.

I suppose that’s OK as long as there’s compatibility and other controllers don’t suffer the same/current issues of PIMAX’s controllers at the roadshow.

It’s a workaround and a bit janky, haven’t tried it myself. Apparently it just requires recalibration like once a week so if LH tracking and mixed reality at the same time were a big deal for you then it would be a reasonable workaround imo.

Kevin did mention they are looking into a LH and MR faceplate though so that would be ideal.

1 Like

:scream: :astonished: :clap: :clap: :tada: :confetti_ball:

1 Like

Okaaaay… so the booth is supposed to be an exclamation mark, a statement.

While I applaud the courage, I doubt it was wise. If you are making such a bold move to catch the attention of the tech media at CES, you better set up a flawless performance - because attention you will draw, but such coverage can be positive - or devastating.

What are Pimax going to present in 3 weeks from now? The 12K is at best a prototype. And even the Crystal is not there yet, and I personally have my doubts that Pimax within 1,5 months will go from „uh, this is so bad we don‘t even want to demo half of its features during the sheltered road show demoes with handfuls of Pimax faithfulls visiting“ to „hell yeah, let‘s get the Crystal into the hands of the same professional level reviewers which are critical enough to find issues with each super-polished Apple or Samsung device“.

I wouldn‘t be surprised if Pimax are forced to go plan B, i.e. demo the 8KX as so-called main attraction to save their face and just show the incomplete Crystal as a side-show, as a glimpse into the future to avoid getting eaten alive. I guess, once again reckless optimism seems to have driven their decision-making.

2 Likes

I think this Plan B is pretty good, because 8KX is still way ahead of many competitions. For only a fraction of XTAL 3 price, 8KX offer the same resolution and similar specs. Who else is offering 8k resolution headsets? So why not set 8KX as the the front and center device that everyone can afford and enjoy?

Portal also turned out to be quite a promising device. There should be a large area reserved for it.

Crystal of course will be the star of the show. Yeah, it sill have issues here and there, but everyone wears it knows how good the picture it offers, and that’s the most important factor. Finally a headset that can show life-like vivid images without any SDE.

Critics will always criticize. That’s their job basically. Pimax shouldn’t be afraid to show them. After the road-show I have confidence in their products. They used old prototypes, and the feedback was pretty good already. There is nothing to be afraid of.

Apple highly polish their iPhone, but it became so boring when each generation had similar design. And they hadn’t show their AR device yet. Who knows? Remember the debacle of Apple Maps?
Samsung’s headsets are way behind Pimax, needless to say.
Sony’s new headset is a good push for VR market. It will be interesting if Pimax can put a Sony VR2 and Pimax 5k super together, and see which one the users prefer.

LOL I was thinking exactly the same. If you’re going all-in with such a huge booth, you damn well need to make sure that you have something worthwhile to show. Something that doesn’t crash all the time, controllers need to work well etc. Otherwise you will only get negative attention and reviews.

A huge booth at CES is something different than a small roadshow room with mostly pro Pimax minded people who are ok-ish with a halfbaked device.

It seems they didn’t think this through. As usually with PImax.

1 Like

A huge booth.
60% Portal.
30% Crystal.
5% 8kX.
3% 12k.
2% Accessories

Well, as one of those for whom the 8k/5k series does not work optically, I happen to think that finally replacing the 8k series lenses with new optics is the fundamental requirement for having something worth showing off anywhere, so hinging one’s public display on the “tried and tested” 8k… hmmmmmmmmmm… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The PORTAL isn’t a bad device when I looked at it. I’m just not the type of person it’s really marketed for.

The Crystal… In my opinion is their big ‘potential’ to lead into the 12K QLED.
Crystal’s image quality is great.

If all their claims are true that they’ve got most all features tested and working as intended, then we should expect NIGHT & DAY different compared to their roadshows. Esp. the Tokyo one.

So… Let’s hope they have the rabbits to pull outta their hats and they deliver at CES.

It’s why I said I think it’s a MAKE/BREAK thing. Now even more so with such a size/proximity of a booth.

2 Likes

Haha you know that’s not the case. Pimax has a huge history of painting things much better than they in reality are. So that’s what worries me, CES could be really bad for them when they show up with a halfbaked device. With such big booth they will get more attention.

Showing a prototype in itself isn’t even the problem, happens all the time at CES, they’ve been showing the Meganex literally for several years now. But when everything isn’t even stable, crashes all the time, controllers that don’t work well, then that’s a real problem, those things should really be fixed imho before doing such huge CES booth.

And if the ‘prototype’ is Crystal, then what’s the center of the booth, the Portal? That doesn’t feel right.

So, really hoping that they’ve ironed out the worst problems and that they have something worthwhile to show. Fingers crossed that they’ll get it right.

1 Like

Good idea from @Atmos , but I’d suggest:
50% 8KX
20% Crystal
20% Portal
5% 12k if available
rest are accessories.

8KX is quite stable and playable, and it’s still the leading edge.
Crystal is the prototype that will be available soon. Everyone understand the meaning of “prototype” in CES.
Portal actually is pretty good. It should have the same space as Crystal.

But they’re not showing the Prototype at CES. They’re showing the retail unit because Pimax have already announced they’re packing retail units ready to ship straight after CES2023.

1 Like

Showcasing a 4 year old VR headset which is about to be replaced by a new product lineup wouldn’t make any sense. I don’t see any reason why Pimax should spend extremely expensive tradeshow real-estate on the 8KX. Any presence in the booth would only be for demonstrating to customers just how much better their newer offerings are than their old flagship.

1 Like

I think having a few just to show off their wide FOV might not be a bad idea but yeah, it shouldn’t be the focus as it would just give people something to latch onto to bash them over.

1 Like

Team has already said that Crystal will be shipping supposedly just after ces. Going by there list in theory the ces showing of the Crystal should be quite a bit better than the roadshows.

With the Portal disappointing they haven’t yet demoed tether VR View mode.